Moving on to the 2nd grade phonics book??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Moving on to the 2nd grade phonics book??

I have a daughter that is 5 years old and is in kindergarten. She is also considered a very young kindergartener too. If she was enrolled in school, she would have made the cut off by 20 something days. So, I have been using Modern Curriculum Press Phonics books with her. She breezed through the kindergarten book in a few weeks and then she began the 1st grade book this past spring. We went through this book at her pace--sometime she would do 6 pages in a day and other days only 1. Anyways, she has now finished the 1st grade book and is ready to begin the 2nd grade book. However, I'm a little hesistant to start her in the 2nd grade book because I don't see a need to really push her. My thought is that she's ahead and let's play games, read books and give it a break for a little while. I've asked a couple other homeschool moms and that seems to be their thought too. I figured that I would ask some of you to see your thoughts. Thanks for any feedback!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would ask her if she wanted to start the new book. Just let her set the pace like with the last one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by butterflygreen View Post
    I would ask her if she wanted to start the new book. Just let her set the pace like with the last one.
    She would most definitely work in the 2nd grade book. This is a child that has always loved busy work--worksheets.

This is really the first time that I've had a child that is more advanced. I want to challenge her, but I can't help but think that she will eventually get burned out and resist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would get the book and follow her lead as you have been. Just make it available and let her choose.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If she wants to keep going, I would let her keep going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I would encourage her to be as voracious in other subjects as she is in this one. I think your hunch that she might burn out is a good intuition. You know her best.
    I wouldn't hold her back from starting the book but I think I would fill her up with so much interesting stuff in other subjects that it would almost be a reward to get to her favorite.~
    ~Constance ~DH ~DS 11~DD 9 ~DD 3

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let her go with it - because phonics is a 'closed end' subject - in other words, you don't study phonics through high school! After she can read well, you have no need of formal phonics programming. Just let her read, read, read!!

Once she finishes the phonics curriculum, I would recommend Spelling Power. It's an all-inclusive, phonics-based spelling program for K-12. This incorporates a continuous phonics review with spelling. It costs around $50, but is totally non-consumable and is the only spelling program you'll ever need. You can use it for all of your children - I cannot speak highly enough of this program. Best wishes!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCarney View Post
    Once she finishes the phonics curriculum, I would recommend Spelling Power. It's an all-inclusive, phonics-based spelling program for K-12. This incorporates a continuous phonics review with spelling. It costs around $50, but is totally non-consumable and is the only spelling program you'll ever need. You can use it for all of your children - I cannot speak highly enough of this program. Best wishes!!
    I have heard other people recommend Spelling Power and I have a close friend that just started using it. I am definitely going to check out my friend's copy of the book. My 5 year old is using Shurley English Grade 1 and adding Spelling Power would probably round out her Language Arts. My older girls are using Shurley and 5 year old picked up on all the jingles along with them. I figured that I would try it and see if she could do it. She absolutely loves it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If she really likes doing the work books and you don't want to move her up to 2nd grade, you could try getting a different K-1st workbook. They have a large selection of workbooks at most stores. I know our Walmart even has them.