Frugal Village Forums banner

I am thinking of doing classes online....

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Mom2-3 
#1 ·
I want to be able to be able to stay home and still bring money in so I want to take classes that I can end up working from home with.

I am not sure what kind of classes though, I do not have access to anything but dial-up here so I need to keep that in mind. I have 3 kids at home and now another one on the way and I want to be able to stay home and still be able to contribute. This is something that has been on my mind for a few weeks now and feel it is something I can do.

I really do not know what kind of classes to take. I like messing with computers. So I am kind of leaning towards something with computers. What are your ideas on something that I would be able to do at home.

Thank you for any advise you can give me.

#2 ·
Hmm. I'm all for it, and think it's a great idea, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute on this one.

Continuing education is always a good thing, but dial up might be a real problem. Most online classes have video and audio that you have to download or "stream" to your computer and dial up might not be able to do it.

Time constraints with online classes are unfortunately a lot more than most people think. The homework assignments are often harder and more than an actual class because they're the only way the teacher has to know if you are "getting it" since there is no in class time for them to assess you. That means a lot of uninterrupted time on the computer. Three little ones might make that difficult.

You need to be REALLY self motivated to make a go of online only classes, because there's no class to look bad in front of, or professor to glare at you if you don't do your work.

Also you'll need to develop some "mommy callouses" to be able to focus. Can you only sorta clean up the mess the dog just made on the carpet and go right back to writing a paper because you'll get to it later?

Reactions: mauimagic
#3 ·
I agree with TheVail. I tried to do online classes and my kids are grown and not needing attention. I was doing medical billing and coding from Penn Foster. The materials I got werer top of the line. Was very impressed with everything. It was just me. I started out going gangbusters and did really good. Then some things tripped me up. I had to do some computer stuff for the certificate that I was not into. Oh well. You do have to be a self motivated person which I was till I got stuck. They do have ways to get help, I just lost interest.

I would for sure say you would need more than dial-up. I have to buy microsoft office also to be able to do the work. They usually tell you what your computer has to be able to work with.

Good luck. What courses did you want to take?

#5 ·
My sister is doing online classes in nursing, I have grilled her on how it is. I know it is going to be hard but with dh helping (when he gets home from work) and the kids (they are 11, 10 and 8) they can help around the house also. I am worried about the dial-up thing also, so I will have to see what I can figure out.

#6 ·
I think that's wonderful, and I applaud your decision! The dial up could be an issue, and you will probably need to investigate the course's Internet requirements before you make any kind of financial commitments.

My daughter completed her Master's degree online while working full time, having an extremely difficult pregnancy, C-section delivery, and a newborn baby who nursed constantly, and never slept!

You're a Woman! You can do it! Go for it!

#7 ·
Definitely want to know what you decide. There are so many options available - sounds as if you need short and long term planning. The dial up is a big potential area for challenge for anything you do online. So excited for you to be thinking about doing something good for yourself!!

#8 ·
I would also suggest taking any "tests" on computers to help you see what you might be interested in. Is there a local college you could go and speak with someone to help determine what you would want to study? Just because you go into speak with someone does not mean you have to take classes there.

The community college in this area had some basic classes on the local tv channel.

I think it is great that you want to continue your education. One of my friends got a masters degree through long distance learning.

#9 ·
That is a very good question. First of all - yes indeed you can but some things to consider:

Dial up as others have mentioned

Career that you can do from home. Obviously, there's a lot. Web design, quality checks (I don't remember the techno-geek word for it, but I know my son can fix a problem on MY computer from HIS computer 30 miles away), etc.

In regards to the online classes, DS is continuing his degree (in computers no less) and he has opted for the 'bricks and mortar' classes. They're more defined and indeed less work. So even tho he might have a 14 hour day to squeeze in work and class, it's better / more accommodating to have to show up. Plus he has the benefit of interacting w/ others in the same educational experience as he is.

Funny story - I decided to take an American History class via the TV many, many years ago cuz' I couldn't find a class that would fit my schedule (working mom). Of course I neglected to stay on top of it and had to PAY A BABYSITTER to watch DS while I watched, listened to eight hours of American History . . . Have you ever tried to STAY AWAKE for eight hours of American History??

#10 ·
I am currently in my last semseter of online classes (got a great discount cause my work paid for 90%+ of it). I would suggest looking into the types of stay at home fields-even if you work from you would probably need something better than dial in the long run-medical billing and coding, computer stuff, customer service may be some areas.

I found online easier on me than brick n mortar (no parking space to find or a mile walk to your car at 9pm at night in the dark. There is "more" work but the professors work with you-mine have been great (and be sure to check the accrediation (sp?) of the school that is very important). I have to write a paper (3-4 pages) a week, sometimes take open book quiz (which are harder), respond on message boards, and sometimes attend a "chat" classroom time.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck-and what the other posters said-mom's can do anything!

#11 ·
I went to classes online to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I loved it! It was easy for me to work into my life around working a full time job, family and home life.
With that being said I will say I started with dail up and had up upgrade to high speed. Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

#12 ·
I just finished my degree from an online university, and while it's a great thing for the right person, you cannot use dial up - you have to have a faster connection. There is no online classroom software that will be compatible with your dial up connection.
Having said that, check out Excelsior College and Thomas Edison, two reputable online accredited universities. In Indiana, IvyTech (our community college system) offers 15 or so degrees completely online.
Good luck and keep us posted.

#14 ·
There are online nursing programs, but only the classroom content is online. You still have to do clinicals, and take lab science classes in person.

Reactions: Mom2-3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.