Frugal Village Forums banner

Confirmation!

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  zakity 
#1 ·
I had company last evening. An ESL teacher for a post-secondary institution. He was curious about how we homeschooled our girls. My girls are now 26 and 24. I showed him some scrapbooks I'd made of their learning and he was blown away! He wants me to come give a workshop on scrapbooking (mine really aren't very fancy as far as scrapbooks go!) to his adult ESL students. He also suggested I publish the scrapbooks.

He wanted to know if the girls realized what a good education they had and how privileged they were to have it. I have to admit, I think DD#1 does, but not DD#2 yet.

He saw another scrapbook I had on goals that was really a close introspective look at myself and giving me direction for the next while. He was blown away by that too. He told me I could make good money giving workshops on that! So I guess there's money in scrapbooking after all! ;)

He was very encouraging, even wanting to buy my homeschooling book on unit studies...till he realized he didn't have $25 on him. I don't think he needed it anyways. He probably knows all that stuff as an ESL teacher. It was DH who mentioned the book to him. I'm not pushing it anymore.

It was interesting to receive positive feedback from him as a teacher. He apparently knows other homeschoolers, one of whom won a provincial award for excellence. He's determined to get us together now. :) Too bad we live 3 hours apart.

See less See more
#2 ·
What an inspiration you are to him and to all the others when he shares what you have done!! Congratulations!! How did he hear about you? While he may all those things, as you said, it's totally different from the documentation that you created. Can't wait to see where this goes!!

#5 ·
"Unit Studies: A How to Guide for Homeschoolers". You won't find it unless you a) know someone who made the trip to SK to buy it, b) have been to SK to buy it, or c) have bought it directly from me. I only have one store selling it, and myself.

Truth be told, it's an information packed book but it was the wrong book to write. In order to explain the book I need to write another book...which I've been putting off doing because I am so removed from the homeschooling community now my girls are older.

That plus I have a funny feeling what I have to say has already been published. People have pilfered my ideas before, openly asking me if they could publish the material. I actually was given an ultimatum in one case! I've kept my distance from the homeschooling community as a result.

#6 ·
Crazy world out there Peanut!! the same materials have been written about many times by many authors - your voice would hold the truth of experience - just my opinion.

Reactions: peanut
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.