Need some advice
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need some advice

I've been homeschooling Lauren in prek since oct.And now I'm also homeschooling my dnephew.THe problem is they are on totaly different levels.Lauren is way ahead of the game and my nephew is way behind.How do I keep her ahead and help him catch up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First I want to say I LOVE your WL Baby name!! If I could only think of a clever name I would post one!!

Second, you and your dh are soooooo photogenic!! The new pic is fabulous!!

Okay I don't have children, but it may help others if they know the ages of Lauren and your nephew?? I'm assuming Lauren is around 4, how old is your nephew? And where are the differences? In knowing numbers, letters, colors, body parts, full name etc....???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awe thanks.

Lauren just turned 5 and my nephew will be 5 in July.They are 5 months apart and were in the same prek.We took them out cause of the school.Lauren is way ahead of herself she always has been she loves to learn and anything about learning she gets so excited about.She knows,spells and writes her first ,mid and last name.Counts to 300.Can count to 20 in spanish.Knows all her colors in english and spanish,knows her shapes,letter recognition and sounds and can read some words,Knows her days of the week,months,She can write all of her letters and is starting to add and subtract,she knows her phone#,mils phone# and my nephews phone#,address,she can draw pictures that look like what it is supposed to look like.Can groom and take care of herself,tie her shoes.

My nephew on the other hand just learned his first middle and last name,he knew them but didn'tknowwhich where which,Can write 2 letters of the alphabet,counts to 14,colors,shapes,big and little,can draw pictures but not where you can tell what they are.He has a hard time with a lot of thing and is very unenthusiastic about learning.Here's what he's struggeling with,putting his shoes on,dressing himself,writing,numbers,sounds of letters,making a picture,learning his phone number,address etc.

They both know their body parts.I'm really thinking he's behind developementaly.I know lauren could physicaly dress herself by age 2 1/2.I don't know if he just doesn't want to or what.I really have been working with him for a very very long time.I was the one who potty trained him a month after his 4th birthday.I don't want her to fall behind and I think lauren can help him out a lot.I really want him to do well and I don't want him to be way behind when they go to kindergarten this fall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, now remember I DON"T have children! LOL

Find out what Bubba's interests are. Does he like hunting. fishing, and trucks like most little boys? Maybe you could copy pics off the net and put the names underneath (simple things like, vest, shirt, pants etc.). Same with dressing hisself, grooming and his name etc. It would show him the letters and sound them out for him.

Maybe a fisherman has "such and such" on and he needs these items of clothing to go fishing. Something he will understand and that he likes. I'm grasping for straws here! LOL But I grew up with alot of hunting and fishing! Or try sports, basketball or baseball, whatever he likes. If he is interested in it, he will do MUCH better learning.

JMHO! Remember, I don't have kids!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW - Lauren sounds like she is a VERY gifted child!

Congrats MOM!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing I wouldn't do Amanda, (and I'm not saying you are) is please don't compare them. I was compared to my older sister all my life (from child to teenager, she was a hellion and I was a "miss goody two shoes") I was always compared to her all through school, the teachers hated to see me coming thinking I was just like her. It was a tough act to follow. I am NOTHING like her to this day at the age of 43!!

We are very different! She is extremely outgoing and I am still a bookworm! Everyone developes differently! I still have my kindergarten report card that says the teacher wanted to fail me because I wouldn't eat my cookies and milk!! I started kindergarten when I was 4 years old. I ended up on the honor roll in high school! LOL

I think you are doing a wonderful job with Lauren, but don't underestimate Bubba. His potential is just waiting to be let out!

Best of luck to you! You sound like a teacher any child would LOVE to have!

Gosh, I am so full of ideas!! I wish I had a child to teach all of these things to! I cannot tell you how much I envy all you ladies that have children!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, what I think your nephew needs most is time. Time to grow and learn at his own pace. I know with kindergarten looming in the near distance the pressure is on to catch him up to the pack. He may look behind, and maybe he is and there is a real problem/learning disorder that need attention, but he may just be marching to his own beat. Does he seem "smart" in things that interest him? Can he carry on a conversation? Does he listen to you read stories?

I wouldn't worry so much that he can't draw a clear picture or memorize his address. I would probably focus (for both kids) on readings lot of good stories, getting outside to explore nature, do simple science experiments, plant a garden, fingerpaint, etc.

Will you continue to homeschool your daughter next year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree 100% with cinnamon.

Most times little boys are behind and at his age it is time to allow him the freedom to grow at his own pace and thats what homeschooling is about. There are some wonderful things you can do to help him become interested though in his world around him.

Sewcrafty brought up about his interests. When you find out what they are, find books to lay around for him to look at. Read to him from those books and ask questions. Let him lead you in what he wants to learn. Coloring, whether with crayons, markers or paints is a good hand/eye co-ordination way for them to learn to focus on things.

Do you have a place where he can play in sand, blow bubbles, use maganetic numbers, use chalk - just all round things that will help him develop. Take both kids outside and explore nature to its fullest, drawing attention to things such as butterflies, trees, leaves, if the weather allows for that. Take them to the public library and let them explore the world of books/magazines.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never compare them to each other cause their enviroments at home are completely different.I know a lot of it with my nephew is his parents just got divorced after 5 years of fighting everytime they were around each other and the said part is that my nephew was right in the middle the whole time.We try to make things here completely different,we push for a loving warm enviroment because I truly believe children will thrive in an enviroment like this.I had an enviroment like my nephews growing up so I know how he feels.

He doesn't like books or to listen to stories,he like lots and lots of noise preferably in toys that work for themselves,cause that is all he has ever been given.We don't have many noisy toys and if they are they are toys that are interactive like a drum,piano,tamborine,maracas and a couple that teach you shapes and colors.

And I totaly agree with cinnamon on that he needs time.This is one of the reasons I urged my sil to take him out of prek(besides the fact that the place needs to be shut down)but he was never getting any one on one time at prek or at home,so when the babies are napping that's when we do our school time and I try to work with both of them on their strengths and weaknesses.Lauren is ready to learn to read and I hope that maybe he will get interested in books and learning.A lot of the times I notice when they play together with toys he will pick the toys that require no imagination or interaction over the toys that require interaction.I hope some of this is making sence.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like Bubba has not been challenged. I agree you don't want your daughter to get bored. Can you keep doing things with her that are new and exciting while working with dnephew on the basics? Example...While dd is practicing letters (or something) you could sit down with dneph and look at a book and discuss self help skills like putting on boots, etc. Just a thought. Also since he doesn't like the imaginative toys, can you all three get down and take some legos or something and build together? "today we are going to make a ______" and then discuss what each one builds (including you) Maybe that will jump start his imagination and fulfull his need for attention from you. Just another idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone has given me great ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Boys do not develop academically like girls but they do have their strengths. Find those and use them.