Kindergarten curriculum - which did you use and why?
    KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Kindergarten curriculum - which did you use and why?

Just a curious question for those of you who used a purchased curriculum for kindergarten (since I have been exploring a variety of curriculums) - which did you use and why?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used Alpha Omega Horizon's Kindergarten program when we did Kindergarten. We loved it, it was thorough, colorful, easy to follow and easy for me to teach.

The kids enjoyed it and we went right into Horizon's Gr. 1 when we were finished with it.

Excellant program. You can probably see it on the Alpha Omega website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been looking for a kindergarten curriculm, but there aren't any that are striking my fancy yet. I may just do it as we go.

My problem is is that Shane knows his colors, numbers, etc. He just can't write neatly-at all. He was a fetal alcohol kid and has poor muscle coordination. We just may spend the year writing!

I also have two other four year olds at home. One of which will be LD. I want to take this year with Shane so that T can 'learn' what it's like to be a student. Right now, T has the attention span of a butterfly!

But things can change between now and fall!

Tonya

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With our oldest we just focused on Bible, math, and phonics. With our youngest we will use FIAR (next year), and some sort of math.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I began HSing when my oldest was in 1st grade, & my 2nd was 5 years old. (We did Montessori school before that).

That year, I bought the Basic 1 program from Sonlight. (I'm a big fan). My 5-year old sat through all the (first-grade) read alouds (Bible, science, history, and literature/stories). She enjoyed it and seemed to learn a lot.

I also bought her Get Ready Set Go for the Code. Really excellent set of early phonics workbooks!

And Singapore's Early Bird Preschool math workbooks. My! She loved those and burned through them in 1 year. (They're supposed to have 2 years worth of material.)

So, I'd recommend the Ready-Set-Go and the Singapore Preschool for math and lang arts. And do lots of read alouds in any subject/story your k'gartener will sit still for!