CBS's news story on homeschooling linking it to child abuse! UPDATED!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry CBS's news story on homeschooling linking it to child abuse! UPDATED!!!

I'm furious with CBS! They are airing a news story tonight linking homeschooling and child abuse! I had several emails come in from homeschooling groups I am on about this. I emailed CBS and told then that I take great offense at this "news story" and would like further clarification on exactly what they are planning to broadcast.

This is from their site:
    (CBS) And here's an early look at what we're working on for Monday's broadcast:

Homeschooling has produced some brilliant young minds.. but there's a dark side to the movement that is putting children's lives at risk. A special Eye on America investigation only on Monday's CBS Evening News.

If you would like more information on any of these stories or the broadcast, please click on the following address and e-mail us:
    evening@cbsnews.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me tell you, I know of plenty of cases of child abuse and neglect. I've turned parents in myself for it. I also realize that it can happen in any family, reguardless of the educational choices that family makes. However, I think it is irresponsible to single out homeschooling and link it with child abuse. I personally only know of one case in this area where there was child abuse in a homeschooling home and the abuser is now in jail where they belong. Most of the child abuse cases that I know about do not involve homeschooling families. Child abuse is a horrible thing and I feel awful for anyone who is the victim of it.

UPDATE: I called CBS and left them a message about how I was appalled at their irresponsibility for airing this program and trying to draw a connection between homeschooling and child abuse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This makes me angry as well, but I'm not surprised. With homeschooling growing at such a phenominal rate, there are going to certain groups out to make homeschooling look bad. I'm sure you know who those groups usually are!!!

Debbie, have you contact HSLDA about this?

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I have not contacted homeschool legal defense yet. I think I will! Thanks!

UPDATE: HSLDA is closed for the holiday today. UGHHH!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Debbie, can you give me a link to this?

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sure! http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/...ain15214.shtml

People from other lists that I am on have seen the tv teasers for it and said it was about child abuse.

My oldest son just came in and said we should let CBS know that he suffered from child abuse at the hands of one of his public school teachers. Another reason we now homeschool! And yes, we got rid of that teacher, but it took threatening a lawsuit against the school district to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Debbie, get this out to everyone you can. If you belong to any forums that have hs, post it. If a number of people can get action going on this, it might be stopped or at least the hs community can respond to it!!!

I can't do much here because I can't make any calls. But I do belong to a Christian forum that has hs. I've already posted it there.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I'm working on it right now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Me too because although I know there is child abuse happening at times in the hs community, it also happens in the best of families that have their kids in public school, private school or any type of school. It isn't just in the hs community.

I fostered for 6 years and had 23 kids go through my home. Of those 23 kids, all with the exception of 4 babies, had been abused and not one family homeschooled.

This is another way to put a blemish on hs and for specific groups to get on the bandwagon and go after those homeschooling.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OOOOHHHHH ~ THIS TICKS ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!

I just emailed them as well - this makes me absolutely furious.....I've been HS'ing for 12 years and without exception, every case of abuse & neglect I've been witness to has been "mainstream" families - not HS'ers........I'm livid........one of my children is on the register of abused & neglected children at the hands of that child's "mother" - and placed with us - HOMESCHOOLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm livid, livid, livid...................

Master Dollar Stretcher MJsLady's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ladies I am so sorry these nitwits are doing this! I am not a member of any group that has HS in it (that I know of) but this is outrageous!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my goodness! I can't beleive this! I think sometimes the media just don't know what to produce for their tv shows to attract people to watch! I wonder what kind of research they did to say this!

Please keep us updated on what happens about this, Debbie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I subscribe to one homeschool group and emailed it out there as well. Even though I don't homeschool my boy's I have always been interested in it and read lots of articles on it and get lots of ideas from others.

I can't believe they would even suggest a thing as hs'ing being linked to child abuse. What about the one's that come to public school that I see every day that have been abused and we report to CPS, which does nothing about it????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Michelle, thanks for your support. Your right in that there are kids abused in all schooling situations, not just hs.

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out and what they have to say. Debbie, keep notes okay!!!

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I emailed my HS loop and the moderator forwarded it to the other groups she is as well.....I'm still seething...............

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Ladies for getting the word out. I've seen it posted on several of the groups that I belong to now. I also sent out emails to the homeschoolers in my area and one to a lady that does an "homeschool alert" mailing for just these kinds of situations. I'll be watching the news tonight, I may even tape it for DH to see since he will be out hunting when it airs. I'm still waiting to hear back from CBS (like they will even bother to email me back).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast