Homeschooling through High School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Homeschooling through High School

How many of you either have, are currently or plan to homeschool through High School?

Our boys are currently in their 9th and 10th grade years and we plan on homeschooling them all the way through high school. I know that quite a few homeschoolers around me have enrolled their kids back into schools either part or full time once they hit the high school years. Jaysn does take Driver's Ed through the local high school and has enjoyed his teacher there, but he has clearly stated he does not want to go back to our public school for any other classes. I'm really enjoying these last years of having them home and I think they are too. They love being able to work at their own pace and persue their own interests.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will be homeschooling through high school. Justin will be doing Gr.9 in Sept. and I can't imagine not homeschooling him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question ? How do you satisfy proficiency testing? Does your state require P. testing. Ohio does.

I homeschooled Em for a year, but she wanted to go back to school...so we did.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Every state and I assume province has their own requirements. Here I am required to give the boys a standardized test each year or have them evaluated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're doing grade 9 right now and I think we'll be homeschooling next year too. As for 11th and 12th, we'll just wait and see. We do one year at a time and then talk, think, and pray about what to do the next year.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have homeschooled my oldest ds right through high school and this year ds#2 is finishing his grade 12 at home and he's taking one college course too. Dd also plans on being homeschooled right through to grade 12 too.

Most parents here put their children back into school for the last few years too. I believe Margery's two children were to first students who were homeschooled right through to grade 12 to go to college here.
    ~ Tina ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm thinking about homeschooling Francois next year...I'm really not sure, yet, what will be best for him...we are waiting to see all the results of his test with the neuropsychologist. She will also give us a full detailed report on what is best for him and how we can help him in his education. Highschool has not been a sucess for Francois. He has failed french last year...this year he is failing biology, english, art....and again he is borderline to fail french....*sigh* the actual school system doesn't seem to fit for him....

I'm starting to gather lots of info about homeschooling him...I will be checking with the homeschooling group we have here in the next town of mine.

Anyone have any advice for us?

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lucie,
    Read all you can about homeschooling. Make sure that you also have him tested before he leaves school (if it has not already been done) to see where he is functioning grade level wise. Tailor his curriculum if you decided to homeschool to meet his needs and start at that level. You may find that he functions at different grade levels in Language Arts, Math, Science, etc.. I don't know if it is available in French but the Apologia Science Curriculum on CD rom is very good. My boys all enjoy it and the movie clips help them to understand what is being taught. For Math, Saxon is a great curriculum and builds on previously learned concepts.
    Another thing to consider is that he may need to time to adjust to homeschooling and learn to love learning again. It took my boys about a year to do that and for Jaysn to regain his confidence in himself and not feel like a failure. He is a bright boy, but the school didn't fit his learning style or needs either.
    Find out his learning style. Does he learn best by doing, seeing, reading or hearing? There are many books out on learning styles now and it would be good to read some of them. I have 3 boys with different learning styles and I have to tailor their curriculum to fit those styles. I have 2 that can just hear or see something and they have got it down. They both can play music by ear and one has a photographic memory. My other son struggles with that but he learns best by reading about something and then doing it. He is a wiz on computers and astounds me with his math ability (he was flunking math in 4th grade before we homeschooled).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At this point I plan on sending both of my boys to high school. However, things could change by the time they go to high school. We live in a rural area and only have a K-8 public school here so we are able to choose what high school we want our kids to go to. There is a new high school not far away that will send the kids free of charge up to the local college for several classes. I just feel that I won't be able to give them what they can get there. I still have serveral years though before I have to make that decision.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank-you Debbie for your advice. Francois has started to be tested with the neuropsychologist last friday and he will be tested next friday for another 2 hours. We will be getting her full report probably in two weeks, I say... We will really know for sure what we can do for him and what is the best aproach for him to educationally. As soon as I know more I will tell you. We are also waiting for an apointement within the next two weeks so he can see a specialized pediatrician. I guess I should be phoning the Homeschooling group in my region...they could also guide me as to where to start if we do chose this for Francois...

Kamloops in the central desert area of BC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

coming in on this a bit late, sorry I didn't see it earlier. Lucie, your local hs association may be very helpful, if they aren't, look for one in a nearby town or major center. Support is wonderful.

It's actually how Strawberry and I met, quite a few years ago now. She is correct, our kids were the first to publically graduate and openly attend college as homeschoolers.

We started them in Gr 7 and 9, and they went on to university and are most of the way thru their respective degrees. Ds is finishing this year, a combined BSc in business and computer science and Dd has another year to go for her BSc in Biology with an emphasis on neurophysiology and genetics. She plans to go on into research or possibly teach high school science. She isn't sure yet.

Ds has been working half time as a bank teller and putting himself thru full time university, dd works part time at a donut shop. Neither are in debt, both are paying as they go.

One of the things people notice about my kids is how hard working they are, and how knowledgeable. They are excited about learning, both of them are self starters in work, and in learning.

Throughout dd's years at the local university her instructors keep pushing her towards research, citing her ability to look at things in new ways, ask new questions, and generally think outside the box.

I think that has been another plus from being homeschooled.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

*catching up!*

We've hs'ed for about 12 years.....Katie graduates on May 15th....Will graduates next year.....I simply cannot imagine not having them school here --- Katie has been accepted to the college of her choice ~ way across the country in NY!!

I, wholeheartedly, am *for* HS'ing through highschool - for our family, it's the only option that makes sense.....We're very fortunate in that we are members of one of the largest HS support groups in the SouthWest ~ we've been so busy planning the kiddos graduation - can't believe my baby is done.......

Katie is the second from the right......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Margery...you and Strawberry must be so proud of your children. I admire you for homeschooling all these years. I'm still kind of worried about it. I still didn't contact our HS association, yet...I am waiting for Francois' test results within a week or two...

Debbie, what a beautiful picture of Katie! You also must be so proud of her!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Debbie, what a wonderful picture of your daughter and congratulations to her on graduating and being accepted in the college of her choice. Awesome!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Debbie, what a wonderful picture of your daughter and congratulations to her on graduating and being accepted in the college of her choice. Awesome!!!
    You must be very very proud!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast