Up in the air

Thread: Up in the air

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Up in the air

Hello everyone,
    I was hoping for some information as I am trying to make a decision. Our DD starts JK in the fall, we were thinking about putting her in french immersion as the schools in our district are the worst in the city. But the more I think about it the more I am not sure. I can't imagine putting her in the schools in our neighborhood, so we are thinking maybe home schooling. Maybe because my DH is not keen on the idea. The issues we have are that she is a very social little girl and are worried she wouldn't get the proper social skills. I know that sounds very stereotypical but really we don't know much. Plus curriculum is the other issue I have no idea what to get or even how I would start. The other issues is DH and I only have grade 12, but we do know lots of different community people. Artists, Mechanics, firemen, nurses etc. So I don't know if that makes a difference? Plus how do you know that your family is right for it?

Our daughter is enrolled in a school readiness program that runs twice a week in the mornings and is free from a community group. But it seems to me that since this has started her behavior has gotten uncontrollable. Especially when it is time to get ready to go. Like this morning so she is home today because the screaming was just unbearable. Which is leading me to believe that she does not like going. But when you ask her she says yes she does. But I also know that she is having trouble making friends and when I have talked to the teachers about it they say it is because she is more advanced then the other children but will not give me the option of moving her ahead. I just feel sick because I don't know what to do and keep flip flopping, any ideas or pros and cons would be great.
    Thanks Ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NHEN is a good place to start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wanted to comment on the socialization issue. The idea that homeschooled kids are not socialized properly is a myth. It is what the parents put into it. If a parent is not willing to get involved with a homeschool support group, or a play group, or some other type of outside activities, then they will have socialization issues. It is what the parents are willing to do. Just like teaching them their lessons, you get out of it what you put into it..

From my experience (and I am not speaking for anyone else other than my family's experience)with the kids as a whole in the public school my kids use to go to, they are not the example I want Ali and John to learn from as far as gaining proper social skills. The vast majority did not have good manners first of all. Second they were a judgemental group and could be extremely cruel to so many. Also, the pure lack of respect many of them had for themselves, others and other's property was really disturbing to me. This is not what I want my kids to think is proper or acceptable.

Between the various activites they are involved in, church friends, and homeschool group events they are highly socialized. they can handle themselves in any group of people.

Good luck in making your decision. The best advice I can give is to do your research, follow your heart and do what will work best for your daughter and family.
    DD (20)
    DS (17)
    DH (over the hill - the big 4-0)