Starting college at 45
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Starting college at 45

I have decided to go to college. I applied for financial aid, and registered at the local community college. I will attend there for the first two years, then transfer to Wichita State University for my Bachelor's degree in History/Government Secondary Education. I will be almost 50 years old when I finish.

My DH has been attending college for two years, and it has made a huge difference in the way he views his future. He will receive his AA in the spring. He plans to continue until he has his Master's. He wants to become a full-time instructor in the Digital Media department at the community college. He is ten years younger than me.

We both would have started much earlier if we had known about the financial aid that was available. We paid cash for his first semester, then the second semester we were nearly broke, so he only took one class. Then I had him go on-line and fill out a FASFA. He got a Pell grant. This has been such a blessing. He is still working as a breakfast cook, and our income is just under $25,000 a year.

We were both raised with the assumption that higher education was for the wealthy, and we were not in that group. My parents never encouraged me to aspire to anything more than a high school education, because they did not want the financial burden of paying for college. Even though I have a high IQ (140), none of my teachers or school counselors ever talked to me about college either. I just assumed I would take whatever low-paying job I could get. For nearly thirty years, I have worked one dead-end job after another, mostly in food service. Then, severe carpal tunnel syndrome made it impossible for me to continue waiting tables. I recently applied for a job at a grocery store, and they offered me $6.40 an hour. I decided to go to school instead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fifty is young.You will have many years to have a wonderful career if you choose to do so.Your family must be so proud.You are making many important changes in your life.From here on the sideline, I am watching and wishing you all the best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratuations on a wise decision. For me education (with financial aid) was my ticket out of poverty. Made a world of difference in my life.

I work in the computer industry and one of my coworkers returned to college after her children were grown. She is now reaping the rewards of that decision. She is good at what she does and enjoying a wonderful new career. It's never too late for a fresh start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go! What a great choice to make!

I started English at university when I was 19, then took a 10 year break and re-started where I had left off. I am now 35 and studying next to my full time job. I find that it is usually easier for me to master the subjects, because I have more life-experience than my very young fellow students. I am not involved in student-life, and have done with all the relationship-upheavals. This leaves lots of energy for studying! And it is very stimulating to discuss the subjects with the teachers, they are so knowledgeable. I just want to know everything that they know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG! Enjoy your classes!
    Wife to Air Force DH for 7 years.
    SAHM to twin boys, Samuel and David!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!!!! I hope you enjoy your classes and keep plugging away until you get the career you want.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good for you Deb! I hope you love your course work and finish fairly quickly. I know you'll be successful at whatever you choose to do as a career.

~48 yr. old sahw, livin' it up in our empty nest, smack dab in the middle of everywhere.~

*We're debt freeeeeeeee! (including the house)*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you!!
    My dh is 48 (49 in a couple of months) and just got his Bachelor's. Now he's thinking he wants to continue for his MBA. I'm almost 32 and have one Associates & am working towards another (first was liberal arts, second is computer information tech). You will be surprised at the number of 'older' non-traditional students going to college nowadays!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is great Deb! I am thrilled for you.
    Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations. --Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

deb Im so glad for you. WTG!!!! take the course what you want and enjoy it too the full max. This is suppose to be the best part of your life I believe. When the kids are grown, then you get to take time for yourself and what you always wanted. Go for it!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is great!!! I say go for it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on your decision to go back to school. I will be joining you this fall as one of the nontraditional students though I won't be on campus, I will be taking mostly online classes (some evening classes) through community college here to avoid childcare costs. My goal is to be a teacher also. Check out fast web for scholarships (sp), there are some that are for women over 30.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that is wonderful. I am 42 and sometimes I think that I would like to go to college.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey smarty pants, woohoo!!
    Go for it Deb!
    ~*Darlene*~
    Live Well~LaughOften~Love Much

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    Leo Buscaglia

2013 Challenge
    Books Read: 67

Become a Fan of Frugalvillage on Facebook!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that's wonderful!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast