Frugal Village Forums banner

Anybody using YNAB?

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Bernice 
#1 ·
I'm new here, and we have been using YNAB (you need a budget.com) software for managing our envelopes. Was not real comfortable hauling around a lot of cash (especially with a 1 year old who like to take things out of his mom's purse). Use virtual envelopes instead of actual envelopes.

Does anybody have any experience with combining the YNAB/envelope with Dave Ramsey's baby steps?

Look forward to learning lots from you all.

#4 ·
I love YNAB, been using it consistently from October 2013 and have saved so much and paid down debt. I truly love it! I also like Dave Ramsey principles, but I just use them as a guiding principle rather than a have to follow. I don't think it would be a hassle to combine the two. I have a mini Emergency fund - its bit bigger though than the $1000. At the moment though I am not working on building the buffer as I am concentrating on paying off my Credit Card, then I will be building my buffer and then DR's FFEF. I really think from YNABing I am way more conscious about where my money is going - I recently took my family on a 3 week overseas holiday that was all saved and paid for prior to leaving and most importantly I have not accrued a single cent in debt since first opened my YNAB in October.

#6 ·
I have to honestly say that YNAB is the best thing I have done to understand and control my money habits and spending. I have been able to save up an EF and pay 1000's of dollars off of my debt since November because of YNAB and tracking every penny. It gets an A+++++ from me and my wife. Our life is better because of our new money management and YNAB is a big part of that.

Scott

#8 ·
I'm old school, use Quicken on my computer but also use Mint.com. I need quicken because I have multi-currency accounts and investments, Mint.com is really good for tracking post-pay check (i.e. net) expenses.

I've heard great things about YNAB - if you're starting from scratch its a great app, although if you have 15 years or so of financial data in another application, you can't really switch. I don't follow DR, don't fully agree with his approach but many here swear by him.

#9 ·
Actually, I disagree with the statement that a person with a financial history cannot switch. I was a Quicken user and before that MS Money and switched to YNAB. For a while I maintained both, then I realized that the past is not important. What is important to me is a good budget this month and a better future. I think YNAB does a great job of helping me achieve that.

After more than a year in YNAB I have some reports. They are fun to look at, but do not have much of an impact on my financial health and planning.

The multi currency and investments are not something that YNAB is great at. So I grant you that. I do track my investments in YNAB in off-budget accounts, but they do not load automatically.

#10 ·
I think, although I don't use it (I use an Excel spreadsheet), YNAB recommends budgeting on the previous months income. My income fluctuates wildly from month to month and I budget on a 12 month running average. Those of you who do not have a consistent/set monthly income, how do you estimate your monthly income to prepare your budget?

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.