Do You Feel Pre-school Is Necessary - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't think pre-school was absolutely necessary, but I did have my daughter in it for two years. She loved preschool, constantly asked if today was preschool or not. The first year we did two days a week, then bumped it up to three for the second. Our school district ran an early education program at reasonable cost. I sent her mainly because it was something she truly enjoyed and it didn't break us to send her.

She now goes to all day kindergarten and it has been well worth the money so far in terms of academic achievement. I am looking forward to next year when I can finally be done with paying tuition for public schooling.

So, I think preschool is optional for most people, but it was more of an obligation for me because my daughter liked it and was learning from it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't think pre-school was absolutely necessary, but I did have my daughter in it for two years. She loved preschool, constantly asked if today was preschool or not. The first year we did two days a week, then bumped it up to three for the second. Our school district ran an early education program at reasonable cost. I sent her mainly because it was something she truly enjoyed and it didn't break us to send her.

She now goes to all day kindergarten and it has been well worth the money so far in terms of academic achievement. I am looking forward to next year when I can finally be done with paying tuition for public schooling.

So, I think preschool is optional for most people, but it was more of an obligation for me because my daughter liked it and was learning from it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes I think most children should go to preschool. My granddaughter had to take a test to see if she was ready for kindergarden. She had to count to 100 be able to write her name, her alphabet, and her #'s. She is learning to add and subtract. She has to study 20 words a week and be able to read sentences. There are a lot of parents out there that won't teach their children anything. How will he handle the seperation when he starts school later when he can't handle it now. That doesn't go away over night.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it depends on the family and the child. My youngest was very clingy but I would never have started her in pre-school. However, we were living in rural Wyoming and they needed her in Headstart to keep their funding so I took her. I stayed and helped about half the time. She did okay although she already knew the activities they did due to having an older brother and sister.

I don't think holding him out for a year would be wrong at all. He might need another year's maturity to deal with life outside home. It might give him a big boost through all his school years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids are 15 and 19 and neither went to any type of preschool. They both tested as ready to start first grade when they did the tests to enter kindergarten. Both had a little anxiety for the first couple of weeks in kindergarten but got over it quickly. Dd went on to graduate 11th in her high school class with honors and is on the Dean's List in college. Ds is on the honor roll in high school. Both were/are in Honor Society, including dd at college.

They were more than ready for playing nicely with others, sitting quietly, following rules, etc. because I taught them at home. And neither had any problems making friends or keeping them.

You know your child best and I too say go with your gut!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 3.5 year old grandson will probably go to 4 year old pre-K this coming fall, but he really doesn't need to. He can count to 20, say his abc's; knows all of his colors & shapes; sings all of the normal children's songs; know right from left; can tell you his parent's & grandparent's names; plays well with others, holds detailed conversations. He's just a smart little man & while I don't think he needs to go, his mom wants him to. His other grandmother has also taught him to count in Spanish up to 5 and he understands what it means. I would like to homeschool him, but his mother says she can't and while I could, the matter of distance makes this impossible. The 11.5 month old tells us "STOP" "NO-NO MAMA"; "DA-DA"; shakes her head negatively when told NO; is walking & dancing. I believe she will pick up from big brother and wouldn't need pre-school either, but dd will want her to have it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234