Frugal Village Forums banner

In-laws

Tags
inlaws
2K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  geckoace 
#1 ·
Do you get along with your in-laws?

#4 ·
No, not in the least. I stay on speaking terms for the sake of my husband and son, and only for their sake.

Every time there is an important day in my life, they manage to somehow leave a lasting impression that ruins the memory for me (including our wedding!). I have given up on establishing a relationship with them.

#5 ·
Better than my own parents. I call them mom and dad, i call my parents by their first names when i speak to them.

#6 ·
No. I can tolerate my FIL, but my MIL makes by blood boil just about every time I see her. She's the most selfish, childlike person I've ever had the displeasure of knowing.

#7 ·
Yes, his parents...I call them Mom and Dad and love them both very much.
I love & get along well with his brothers & sister too. Don't always agree with them but we are all wonderful enough to know that it's ok and enjoy the time we spend together.:)

#8 ·
We're pleasant to each other, but I prefer not to spend much time with them. They are two of the most miserable, pessimistic people I know. We're spending the day with them for Father's Day and that's fine because it's my husband's day and I want to do whatever makes him happy. After that, we probably won't get together with them for a few months. DH sees them while I work at night and that seems to work out. It's too bad because they live two streets away.

#9 ·
We actually get along very well. There are two things we disagree on - religion and my son's hair. She wants to shove her religion down our throats, does not respect our views and beliefs. DS has been growing his hair out for Locks of Love ans all she ever talks about is how boys don't need long hair.

FIL is so easy going, he is a hoot.

DH gets along great with my parents. My mom oves him dearly. She says he is one of the greatest guys she has ever met. My dad is a lot like my FIL - very laid back so DH and my dad get along great too.

My parents and his parents even get along with each other. My dad and his dad fish together and his mom and my mom always talk to each other.

#10 ·
Not married

But when I was . . .no! MIL was certified (and I'm not kidding) looney. FIL was in prison for crimes which we don't speak about . . .
After our divorce, my ex actually took the time to contact MY parents and convince them them that I was an evil person and should not even be parenting our child . . . .SHEESH!! My parents wouldn't speak to me for nearly a year . . . .

So! I guess the answer is NO!

#11 ·
Well both dh's parents are long dead. His brother and I get along. We dont see them often as they live in Florida. He and his wife are very good to my kids.
Dh's 2 sisters I could do without. Dh doesnt have alot of contact with them either.
Dh and my mom got along very well and when she was dying last yr she had me write him a letter telling him that she loved him and could not be more proud of him if he were her own child.

#16 ·
not really!! They come here once every second month and they try tp polish it off by bribing my kids with candy etc. not that they'd spend time with them or even ask them to go for a ice cream. their pretty lame lately over the last couple of years. So id say, least i see them the better.

#17 ·
We all get along really well. In fact, they let us stay with them rent free for three months while we were looking for a house. My only complaint is that they are afraid to bring up problems to me, they go to my DH. But then, that may be a bit of a blessing! I don't always deal well with confrontation!:rolleyes:

#18 ·
sometimes. if my mil is keeping her nose out of our business, we get along fine. when she sticks it where it doesn't belong, we have issues. fil just doesn't know when to shut up. otherwise he's fine to be around.

#21 ·
Nope. My MIL was the type to say one thing and then stab you in the back. When my MIL died last year and we had to take care of FIL he smacked me once and I looked at DH and said that is it he goes to a nursing home. No way am I putting myself or my kids at risk. He has gone as far as hitting the nurses.

#22 ·
sort of, we get along fine now although i resent her "advice". we did have a shouting match once,:fan: bought on by my DH telling MIL I found her overbearing (which i do but i would never have said it like that). I generally try to not spend a ton of time with them and i find that i can appreciate them more, and they are good grandparents so I try to see them in that light.

I do know im not exactly the type of girl they had hoped their son would marry.:lalala:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.