why rubber pants are tearing????
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default why rubber pants are tearing????

I've been using cloth diapers on DD for about 2 months now in order to save money. The problem is that her rubber pants are developing tears or rips in odd places. Any idea why?? I always hang them up to dry and wash them on the delicate cycle, using no bleach or fabric softener. I usually just hand wash them as soon as i change her and only run them through the wash when there's poop on them. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used cloth on both my kids years ago and I was going to suggest everything your already doing. No bleach and line dry. Could the pins be rubbing holes? If you are line drying them in the sun maybe this is causing them to break down quicker. Try hanging indoors.

Not many choices when I was diapering kids years ago but maybe try a different brand of rubber pants and see if they last longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Depends on where it's rubbing thin/ripping.

Is it in the area of the pins? Is your lil one wearing pants with thick inseams? Could it be the cloth pins? Are the legs too small? Too big?

I know I used rubber pants when DD was 'in training' and they were going thin on the sides and along the backside.
    I can't be out of money... I still have checks left!

Momma to the Diva
    Old Lady to the Old Man
    My Blog: http://frugaldomesticgoddess.wordpress.com

Making Yule
    Samantha x2 (1/2)
    Christopher x2
    Mom x2
    Larry x1
    Dave x1
    OldMan x5
    Diva x11 (1/11)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used vinyl pants. More expensive but last a lot longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~No answers for you except that I used Motherease air flow covers and they are worth every penny. They lasted through 5 years of diapering and I was able to pass them on to someone else.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was thinking about this thread and reminded about how I used to try to fix rubber pants by hand sewing the little holes and then sealing with a hot glue gun. My dh thought I was nuts! I used to be a very frugal mommy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have IV covers. I bought from a diaperswappers.com. I also use a fleece cover. The fleece is more breathable!!!

Don't know why you have holes. I have a package of the gerber pants that I bought at a consignment store. I don't use often...but I noticed some holes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish that I knew the answer to your question. All my kids used cloth diapers except now for the youngest b/c of sensative skin. I had noticed when #8 & #9 were still in diapers, the plastic pants would have these little tears - sometimes the seams on the sides would rip & I was careful just like you - no dryer or bleach. I would guess that they may be making them from another type of plastic/vinyl & its just not holding up as well.
    I got tired of having to buy plastic pants everytime I turned around, so when they began to tear, I would put duct tape over the tears & believe me- although the plastic pants looked unattractive, the duct tape held up for 2 months- even w/ washing them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am having the same problem. I've been using the Gerber brand and they are not holding up even though I also do all of the suggested things. I'm trying to make my own AIO's so that I don't have to deal with the plastic pants!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I've been thinking about getting my sewing kit out and fixing the tears. But, now I think I'll use duct tape!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yup, I used duct tape too. Worked like a charm. I used Motherease snap covers and really liked them. I used 3 covers that lasted through all 4 kiddos. Best of luck and don't give up. You'll find what works for you and most likely you'll be happy that you used cloth for many, many reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the gerber pants don't last long....longest I've managed is about 3 changes.

invest in a different cover, I like Kushies covers, diaperwraps.

a stronger waterresistant material makes a world of difference. PUL is what most are made of - its polyurethane latex, or laminated jersey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb

I had a friend tell me that they aren't making them like they used to. I rem when I was w my exbf that I helped potty train his daughter and I had purchased the cloth trainers and vinyl covers that I had no issues...even w fluffing them in the dryer(it was in the instructions)-I think they were gerber...this has been like 5 yrs though and even in that time my friends said they have changed. They have two girls who are like 7&8 and a boy who is 3 and he's going through training and they have noticed the difference. So no it's not you. I think they are making them cheaper so you have to buy more often.