Freeze bank account and PayPal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Freeze bank account and PayPal?

I just read that since I'm being garnished, the company could also freeze my bank account. I'm wondering could they freeze my PayPal account also? I have a debit card with PayPal, and wanted to transfer the money I have in my checkings to that account. I don't have much in my checkings, but I would need it. It's actually under $200.00. I'm going to try and stop my auto deposit tomorrow morning, so hopefully if this happens I'll still have my check.

Thank you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would think it is highly possible for them to freeze your accounts. If they got hold of your checking account then that could lead to them attaching your Paypal account since you probably have those 2 connected in some way even if it is only from transfereing money. To be on the safe side you should stop direct deposits of your paycheck. Like you said, you can't afford to lose any right now.

Good luck and just hide your money very well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Where did you read that?
    In a letter the company sent you? or on line somewhere.
    I would think it's one or the other.
    I mean.. really they CAN"T take EVERYTHING from you.

I've been doing a wee bit of research.
    It seems that those who are electing to chose a debt settlement company are in BIG time troubles.
    You're not the only one.

How does the CC company get your personal information to garnish anything? who gives it to them? I realize they have your SSN- but my cc company doesn't have my work infor or my telephone # anymore. ... long sicne changed.

Are you goiing your personal information - like work and checking account to the CC company? or the debt settlement company?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not sure of the answer, so I am no big help. I just wanted to send you well wishes that your situation begins to improve. I know it must be stressful wondering what will happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to agree with Frugal Nurse... this doesn't sound right. I had to process wage garnishments in a previous job and there were limits as to the percentage they could garnish. I've never heard of them freezing a bank account. Now, if you had a large amount of money in the account... maybe. But, still I've never heard of it going down like that. It takes a court order to garnish wages. Sometimes, these are just ploys to frighten you into paying.

You really should familiarize yourself with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and visit some forums that are dedicated specifically to such issues... people there have very good advice. I can't think of the name of one I visited several years ago but I recall get some great advice when I was struggling with an issue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few year ago a friend of mind got so far behind on his car payments that the credit union that gave him the loan actually froze his accounts. According to him, they couldn't actually take the money out of his account so the just kept him from getting access to it. I would be concerned if the bank you keep your money in is the same one you have a bad loan with.

This is all second hand info though, so take it for what it's worth.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In order to take money from your bank accounts, they'd have to do a Hearing on Assets, which is a separate suit from the garnishment. You would have to be notified of that suit in advance, and it's pretty unlikely they'd do it if they're already garnishing your wages...why would they want to cost themselves more in court costs if they're already getting their money? Furthermore, I believe the maximum your wages can be garnished is 25%. That may vary by state, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A bank account can be attached. It is a separate (not the same as wages) garnishment form that is filed with the court. Whatever money is in the account when the attachment hits the bank, is what they get. They can also file Interrogatories (which is a series of questions that you answer) to uncover the assets you have.

The reality is that if you owe a lot of money, the cost of filing the paperwork is minimal compared to the potential recovery. Once a case goes to court for a summary judgment, you are paying the balance you owe, court costs, and interest from the date of judgment.

I worked for a collection law firm in MD, and this is where my information comes from.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That makes more sense. I've only handled the employer side of wage garnishment so I wasn't sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a VERY important question for the OP.

Did you receive notice to appear in court to have your case heard and show just cause?

Yes? and you went? and you knew that this was going to happen?
    Okay then never mind.

No? you knew nothing about it? This comes as a complete surprise? you never got a court hearing, notice or judgement?

I suspect this might be the case... let me just tell you ..
    you NEED to check with your employer and see exactly what was used or given to your employer for them to decide to garnish wages. Let's just hope your employer was allowed to copy said order.

I have heard from a very realiable source that creditors (shady ones) are using documents that look just like a court judgement and employers are none the wiser. It looks so official.

And since the consumer knows they owe it- they really don't ever question it.

QUESTION IT!

If your employer does not have a copy of the judgement- you may then request it be removed. It is a false doc.

If you received a copy of the judgement already- go to the court and ask for the documents that pertain to the judgement. You should be able to see if you were served papers (that means HAND DELIVERED by a constable) and it shows proof of it. You can then dispute it- if you never got notice.

Why do I feel like the OP is not listening? moved on. not returning?

Well Let it be known to other unsuspecting consumers then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no idea if they would freeze your Paypal account.

That being said, we have had our bank account garnished more than once..and YES they do take every dime that is in there. I believe that it has happened to us 3 times, possibly 4. We had no advance warning either. Usually we had checks out that hadn't cleared the bank yet, so not only did we have no money, but we had a negative balance due to the NSF fees.

I keep reading that before a bank account is garnished, there should be some sort of hearing or papers served, but we seriously got nothing until AFTER the fact. Usually a couple days after they emptied the account, we would get a letter in the mail.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There was never a court date for me to appear, so I honestly thought these papers were just a scare tactic. I was never served paperwork, someone came to my moms house and dropped it off, and the through the mail. I use my moms address. These bills I have are about 6 or 7 years old and haven't been paid for about 3 years now. The last letter I received said they had won their judgment and they were now free to levy my bank account or garnish my wages. I don't know if they can honestly do both though. Again, I never got a court appearance date.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shouldn't there be some kind of contact information identifying the court that they went through?
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dhmunoz View Post
    I have no idea if they would freeze your Paypal account.

That being said, we have had our bank account garnished more than once..and YES they do take every dime that is in there. I believe that it has happened to us 3 times, possibly 4. We had no advance warning either. Usually we had checks out that hadn't cleared the bank yet, so not only did we have no money, but we had a negative balance due to the NSF fees.

I keep reading that before a bank account is garnished, there should be some sort of hearing or papers served, but we seriously got nothing until AFTER the fact. Usually a couple days after they emptied the account, we would get a letter in the mail.
    The bank attachment papers are served on the bank. You wouldn't receive prior notification. That is the whole idea. If you had prior notification, you'd close out your account.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SanDslnrs View Post
    There was never a court date for me to appear, so I honestly thought these papers were just a scare tactic. I was never served paperwork, someone came to my moms house and dropped it off, and the through the mail. I use my moms address. These bills I have are about 6 or 7 years old and haven't been paid for about 3 years now. The last letter I received said they had won their judgment and they were now free to levy my bank account or garnish my wages. I don't know if they can honestly do both though. Again, I never got a court appearance date.
    A summary judgment occurs whether you appear in court or not. Basically, the court only wants to know that you owe the money. Papers can be served by a sheriff, a private process server, or sometimes certified mail. Since some people will not take the paperwork from the server, touching the body of the person with the papers constitutes "service of process." (This may differ in other states.)

My suggestion to you would be to contact them and offer to make payment arrangements (and make the payments faithfully) or contact Consumer Credit Counseling Service for help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast