The Newest Hit.... Losing his insurance! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, I hope all works out for you (hugs).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending good thoughts and prayers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Sending prayers. I hope things are better soon.
    " May we never let the things we canít have or donít have or shouldnít have spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have. As we value our happiness, let us not forget it. One of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have."
    -Richard L. Evans

~Check out C@rols Blog on FV

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definately sending good thoughts your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so sorry!
    ~Dana~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So sorry sending good vibes your way

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be praying for you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending good thoughts. I hope everything works out for you guys'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my gosh...I feel so bad for you. You are having one crisis after another. Sooner or later things have to get better for you! Let's hope it is soon! I'm really sorry you are going through this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suki View Post
    Is he on FMLA or are they terminating his employment? If he's on FMLA, he should be able to keep the insurance at the same rate.

More questions need to be asked.
    He was on FMLA and it is going to have been 12 weeks the week he is terminated.

UPDATE: He had called the pharmacy yesterday to check the status of his medication that was ordered on Friday. They send it usually in two days. Well he hadn't received it Tuesday so he calls and they tell him that his insurance isn't wanting to approved it.

He calls the girl who takes care of the payroll/insurance at work and she says that she has no clue what was going on and will check on it. DH asked here, ok... is it my insurance being terminated by the company or me? She tells him its just his insurance. (Now I've worked with insurance, etc and know you only get offered Cobra when your position is terminated) Well the insurance finally lets the rx go thru but he gets a phone call from the store Manager that tells him he's going to be terminated/let go as of July 5th.

Tyler, the store manager, apologizes, etc to Wendell and tells him he knows how the 'company' sucks, etc. They get to discussing another employee that was also recently terminated while out on FMLA. This guy had one of the pacemakers that was recalled because of faulty wiring. Well, he was working in his yard and the wires came loose. He was off work due to it and now he's been terminated also! Its just not right!

Well, DH called Social Security yesterday and the Public Defender's office. The employer is sending us a termination letter that DH is suppose to give copies to both offices. DH is wanting me to write a letter to the local television station to inform them on the situation as the company has been known to treat their employees terrible. I don't know....

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Was just thinking about this and I bet that's the day his FMLA coverage ends and they will terminate his employment at that point. They can and will do this. Sorry.
    I knew this but makes me wonder why they even offered long-term disability insurance also if they can terminate their employees like that. Seems odd when they get rid of them after the 12 week, short term.

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    okay.. was he terminated?
    was he laid off?
    did you fail to pay his group health insurance premium?
    Is he within FMLA of 12 weeks?

This is a rude awaking for me. just to let you know
    He is definately being terminated, we had not missed an insurance payment while he was off, thanks to the short term disability. His 12 weeks is up on July 4th.

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If disability was filed before the insurance lapsed it is based on the filing date not at termination especially if you have a claim filed. Do you have any paperwork with the short/long term disability insurance company? Check your paperwork.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, they can do this. Unfortunately, working in HR, I HAD to do this at least once. It's pretty awful. But, once an employee's 12 weeks of FMLA are up and they are not ready to come back to work... you have to let them go. I was able to work around those who were close to coming back, but those with chronic illnesses or disability were let go once they reached their 12 weeks. 3 months of absences are difficult for any employer to absorb.

As for the long-term disability insurance, I would imagine this was offered as an extra insurance by another company like AFLAC as an added benefit to employees. It has nothing to do with the employer.

As for SS disability, just make sure the process has been started, the interview has taken place and you are providing all they ask for. Once it goes through, you will get back pay to the date you filed.

Don't waste money on an attorney. If you have doubts about the laws, research on the internet... findlaw is a good site and there are many HR/employment law sites. IF after researching you feel you need an attorney... then, by all means get one.

This does stink. I'm sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, they can do this. Unfortunately, working in HR, I HAD to do this at least once. It's pretty awful. But, once an employee's 12 weeks of FMLA are up and they are not ready to come back to work... you have to let them go. I was able to work around those who were close to coming back, but those with chronic illnesses or disability were let go once they reached their 12 weeks. 3 months of absences are difficult for any employer to absorb.

The employer was told in May that his next appointment with the doctor is July 1 but they aren't even waiting to see if he'd be released. I feel like their just hearing MS and thinking the worse and getting rid of him while they have an excuse.

As for the long-term disability insurance, I would imagine this was offered as an extra insurance by another company like AFLAC as an added benefit to employees. It has nothing to do with the employer.

I'm gonna have to talk to the girl in payroll there because he was told he didn't have the Aflac he signed up yet they are taking a charge of his paychecks for long term disability. That sounds funny that their gonna offer you long term disability yet term you after three months. You'd never have a chance to use the long term.

As for SS disability, just make sure the process has been started, the interview has taken place and you are providing all they ask for. Once it goes through, you will get back pay to the date you filed.

He filed as soon as he found out his diagnosis on his doctor's advice. His first attempt was already denied because he was getting the short term disability thru the employer but they have been notified of the change and going to file again.

Don't waste money on an attorney. If you have doubts about the laws, research on the internet... findlaw is a good site and there are many HR/employment law sites. IF after researching you feel you need an attorney... then, by all means get one.

We're not paying a lawyer. He's been talking to a Public Defender whom we referred too by Social Security and Family Services.

This does stink. I'm sorry.

I'm just about burned out of it all. Told my son we have to either sell or dispose (which I'm referring to butchering) of the animals since we can no longer afford them. Will break my heart but we're more than likely going to lose this place anyway before its all over.

We're still trying to sort thru what little we have for a sale and we're talking about 'selling' on of our vehicles to my Dad so we wouldn't lose it. As far as where we will go.... we have no clue. Moving into the city will kill us so I can't even think that far yet.

Just taking it one day at a time.

Debbie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast