The Newest Hit.... Losing his insurance! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If he is released and ready to return to work on July 1st, they cannot proceed with termination.

I'm really sorry you are going through this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am thinking of you, and wishing something good will come along for you and your family. Hang in there (hugs)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe that if God brings us to it----he will bring us through it. Paryers and good wishes coming your way

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Omg, I can't imagine what you're having to go thru, I am so sorry. I hope that there is something that can be done whether he's released on July 1st to work or something else comes thru for you....be hugs for you and your family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please dont get too discouraged..... something will come thru for you!! Maybe I won the lottery last night and I can help!!(Dont hold your breath on that one sis!)

If you have to sell or butcher the animals start slowly and do it. You can always get more. I know you are attached to them and I would be heartbroken too but remember you wanted the farm to make you money too! Desperate times require desperate measures too!

And you are STILL trying to start your business sewing! I know you have material there and things you can be sewing so just dont spend any money now but work on what you have.

Think about writing that letter to the media.... I know here sometimes when people hear things like that they come to aid for families. Just remember to stick to the facts about the company he worked for as you dont want them suing you for slander! You never know.... someone may see it and offer you a job to help!

Keep your head up neither of you has done anything wrong and you should both be proud of yourself for getting this far. Lots of people would have given up long ago! Everyone keeps telling me God only gives you what he knows you can handle.... I guess He thinks you are a pretty strong person. Personally...I agree

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending up prayers...sending you hugs
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This must be so hard for you, your DH having this diagnosis and the financial misery that you now have to face.

Be of good courage and try to find a way to pull the two of you through this. I hope you'll find a job soon so that you'll be able to pay for the house + meds.

* I'm not looking for a discussion on the social system of the USA, but I'm truly shocked by how a family's life can change so dramatically in just 12 weeks. In the Dutch system you're more protected when you're sick and an employer will have to wait 2 years before they can fire you (and even then there are restrictions). Salaries are usually paid for 100% during the first year of illness and in the second year you'll get only 70% of the salary for the hours that you do not work.
    I guess in the States you will have to get a really good (and expensive) insurance and/ or pray that you'll never get ill. With some sicknesses such as cancer you may be grateful if you can survive the disease at all.*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post

I guess in the States you will have to get a really good (and expensive) insurance and/ or pray that you'll never get ill. With some sicknesses such as cancer you may be grateful if you can survive the disease at all.*
    In our case, yes. I've not had insurance for almost two years. With my last job I had just been eligible and had a great policy for a month before they let me go and now its back to none again.

The last 5 years have been hard ones for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday was pretty quiet until supper time when his ex-wife called wanting to know where her money was for child support. This woman has been informed on everything that's been going on all along. Yesterday I had been talking to Kyla, his daughter, and told her what the company did and she commented that she figured they were gonna do that. (She's 15)

Anyway DH tells her that he's still off work due to the MS and that he would be losing his disability and job effective July 1st. Explained that he's ot wanting out of paying it but kinda hard to do when there isn't any money. Told her how we're three months behind on everything and that the bank is threatening to take the house, etc.
    All she said was that's ok.... I'll get my money one way or another! Then she hung up.

I felt so sorry for him.... cause she's never pleasant. He spent the rest of the evening in and out of the bathroom.

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so sorry to hear this. Chronic illness is such a difficult thing to deal with anyway, and if you have to worry about money as well, it is too much.
    I hope things will work out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

((((hugs)))) If your family qualifies for help through your human service agency (DHS is Michigan) sometimes they will pay COBRA insurance payments for a family rather than give them Medicaid...this usually happens when it would be cheaper to pay the COBRA payment, than the medical bills.

Our auto insurance paid our son's portion of our COBRA payment after his accident. So it might not hurt to file for assistance and see what happens. Is there any way the doctor would consent to release your hubby to part time hours??? If he can get his foot back in the door, they might decide not to let him go.

I don't know how companies handle illnesses, but I do know you have to fight tooth & nail when it comes to comp cases. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mombottoo View Post
    Is there any way the doctor would consent to release your hubby to part time hours??? If he can get his foot back in the door, they might decide not to let him go.
    the doctor could do that but chances are he won't be able to do his regular job. He's the Asst. Dept Manager in the Farm Department. He was constantly having to stand on concrete for 8+ hours a day and move stock which consist of throwing 50# bags all day long. He can barely do anything too physical here at home.

They would have to find a place for him which the way that company is, they only do what is best for the owners.

Debbie in Missouri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cmdarlin View Post
    the doctor could do that but chances are he won't be able to do his regular job. He's the Asst. Dept Manager in the Farm Department. He was constantly having to stand on concrete for 8+ hours a day and move stock which consist of throwing 50# bags all day long. He can barely do anything too physical here at home.

They would have to find a place for him which the way that company is, they only do what is best for the owners.

Debbie in Missouri
    Ahhh...but, when someone is disabled employers must provide reasonable accommadations according to the law. There are many laws protecting the disabled and it might be a good idea for you to research some of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, visit with the doctor for a list of reasonable accommodations.

However, I know that with what my hubby is experiencing, there are no accommodations that would prevent him from becoming exhausted quickly, falling and being a danger to himself or others... this may be the case with your hubby. If it's not yet, then yes, by all means see if there's anyway to continue the job at least until disability kicks in.

What farm company is this?

In the meantime, remain positive, envision solutions rather than problems (it feels better) and know that things will get better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually, nix what I said above about keeping the job until disability kicks in. If he's able to work he won't qualify for disability. So, it's one or the other - not both.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast