Frugal Village Forums banner

Question bout the economy in your area????

3K views 33 replies 30 participants last post by  sabrelvssammy 
#1 ·
how many store and restaurants in your area are no longer open 7 days a week and or 24 hours a day?

#3 ·
I've not noticed any changes yet.

My personal belief is it wouldn't do any harm to close on Sundays, giving people a day of rest and family, let people recharge and be with their loved ones, it makes for a better world. I don't see why so many places want to be open 24 hours, as my FIL says, nothing good happens after 10 o'clock. This is when lots of theft occurs causing losses to the businesses.

#4 ·
Stores and restaurants in my area in general are not 24 hours. They haven't been. While there are some stores and many restaurants that are open 7 days a week there are many that are not.

Hours and Days of the week have not changed much.

#5 ·
I don't think anything within 10 miles of me is open 24 hours. The grocery store used to be, but that changed several years ago. This is not a 24 hour neighborhood, people go to bed early in the evening because they have to be up early for work.

If stores are open Sundays, they have short hours. This is the bible belt. I haven't noticed hours getting shorter, but then I'm not out shopping and spending every day.

#6 ·
Three smaller stores closed in the past month. Rumor mill has it that if the largest employer in the area proceeds with planned layoffs, there will be a lot more. Walmart is pretty much a ghost town compared to last year. Car dealership burned a couple months ago. Probably not an accident. Very scary here.

#7 ·
I am from a primarily UAW town and things are not looking great. Even the folks that make terrific money, are not spending it as they used to. We have lost (2) car dealerships, couple of resteraunts and so on.

Nice homes, that are at a great price cannot sell, as buyers are not sure if there will be work tomorrow.

Glad I am not going anywhere for a while.

Cheers,

#8 ·
we have lost a goody's, ruby tuesday, claires boutique, and a couple of small mom-pop rests all in the past month.... i know that probably doesn't seem like all that much...but here it's all we had... we are down to j.c.penney...(which did cut its hrs back to like 10-6...it's a very small store)...and an elder-berman (dept store) which there is some question as to the health of their company and of course Wal-mart...our pickings are getting VERY slim.... but of course...the only stores i need are doing great....goodwill, st vincents, & salv army...lol
only problem is the competition i have now.......

#9 ·
I haven't noticed much change around me. We always have extended hours over the holiday season, and then it goes back to the normal 10-9 routine. We have very few 24 hour stores. In fact, I couldn't name one.

I had an interesting discussion with some people the other day. We don't seem to be feeling the downturn in the economy yet here in SK. At least, I don't know anyone out of work because of it. Sure, our stock market took a beating the last 12 months. But even there we haven't lost near as much as the average joe. Because our local economy is so strong, it's been suggested we'll be one of the last places to feel the pinch in Canada. And Canada is far better off than the U.S. right now. So I don't know... maybe it's coming down the tracks, but just a bit later than for you Americans...

#10 ·
Jean we are later than the States. However the oil patch is starting to be hit BIG TIME and Sask. isn't going to miss out on that. Our government has also just done a huge stimulus package. Course, this isn't going to help us (our family) in any way. We are always a bit behind the States, yet this isn't going to miss us.

We have a restaurant that has changed their hours. I noticed today in the next town over, a restaurant has cut their hours. I've also noticed a number of stores (smaller ones) in the city we do most of our main shopping have now closed. We also don't have stores that are open 24/7.

#12 ·
I haven't seen anything close yet, I'm sure once GM shuts down there will be plenty. The grocery store and Walmart used to be 24 hours but that changed a while ago, which I guess is good for my budget as it makes it absolutely impossible for me to buy anything during the week. I would probably move if they weren't at least open 7 days a week. It used to be illegal for stores to be open on Sundays back home, I don't ever want to deal with that again.

#13 ·
I haven't seen any changes in hours, but Target, which is headquartered here in the Twin Cities announced layoffs yesterday. :(

#15 ·
There are actually stores extending their hours here in Calgary. Real Canadian Superstore went to 7am-11pm a few months back and that place is bustling like no tomorrow. I haven't seen any signs of the recession hitting hard in Calgary, but then again Calgary has been pretty busy the last five years or so.

The prices of houses went down a bit (mine went down about $30k) but I still see places hiring like crazy. DH says that a bunch of people he deals with at his work are seeing the effects of the recession. A lot of large-ticket items that were once selling like crazy aren't selling so well anymore (fireplaces in particular). The forecast for the recession to end in the 4th quarter of 2009 here in Canada seems pretty spot on and the government is doing what they can to help families who are being outed by the recession in particular areas.

#17 ·
The prices of houses went down a bit (mine went down about $30k) but I still see places hiring like crazy. DH says that a bunch of people he deals with at his work are seeing the effects of the recession. A lot of large-ticket items that were once selling like crazy aren't selling so well anymore (fireplaces in particular). The forecast for the recession to end in the 4th quarter of 2009 here in Canada seems pretty spot on and the government is doing what they can to help families who are being outed by the recession in particular areas.
I don't know how they can predict, the recession to end in the 4th quarter. They are the ones that a few months ago said we'd never be in a deficit and look at where we are now,as of last night. I'm sorry, I think it's hogwash that they can say this. I'm conservative, yet I'm a tad bit tired of them saying one thing and then a few months later saying something else. I also don't see what they've really done to help families. All I see is them dancing with the Liberals!!!

#16 ·
I am originally from Canada but now living in the States with my DH since May of 08. In my hometown there is no indication that there is even a recession going on. People are charging like normal so they must feel pretty secure in their jobs.

Here in the States though is another story altogether. The town that is closest to us has laid of hundreds of workers in the local plants and business are being hit very hard. It is so sad to see so many people out of work and not knowing what to do (I know what they should do and that is join FV to get ideas to save money). I hope things turn around soon but as a history teacher, I know history repeats itself.

#20 ·
Microsoft, Starbucks & Boeing has announced more layoffs today, I am sure that will effect the area. Trader Joes was cutting hours, JCPenny announced no cost of living increase and mom & pop places are trying to stay open. I have made a point to start shopping them.
There are quite a few vacancies in the area. There are also a couple of new banks reading to open as well. Not branches, newly chartered banks

However, I understand the bases are hiring.

I noticed today in Walmart the shelves were full--they have been almost empty the past month and a half, maybe longer if I think when the media was talking about the rice shortage. I attributed it to the snow closing all the major highways but they seemed overly full.

#21 · (Edited)
Most of the stores in our Mall is opening an hour later on Sundays now.

Also we had Goody's, Steve and Barry's and a couple of small local stores close.

#22 ·
In my town the only things open 24 hours is a gas station and a grocery store. As far as I know they haven't changed their hours. There have been layoffs and no one is hiring, but I really think we are not near as bad as some of the bigger cities.

#23 ·
I haven't noticed a change in open times, but I was thinking the other day about how many places have closed just in the last 6 months...and not small mom & pop places, big names!

Denny's
Quiznos
Long John Silver's
Wendy's (one of the three that we have)
P&C (one of the two that we have)
KB Toys
Steve & Barry's
Doctor Pet (pet store)

#26 ·
I forgot we just got a new restaurant in town.
And lots of new housing office space in being built down town. Sort of a revitalize down town sort of thing.

I wonder if we here in my town we are seeing different things than others because we are ahead of the curve. Our biggest factory closed a year ago. We are now on the upswing, recovering. Peoples budgets have been retooled and recovered, plans have been made and implemented.

#27 ·
I live in a small town near the coast of Washington State. We just had 3 mills shut down and the evening shift of another mill that stopped. In all, well over 400 jobs were lost. There is no employment available here. I'm 50 years old and have lived here all my life. I've never seen it this bad!

#28 ·
We've had a few small lay-offs from the big plants and one plant subsidiary closing, and one Starbucks closing, but actually we are having a bit of a boom. We've had several new restaurants (national big name and local) open, several new businesses opening, lots of new construction going in, numerous amounts of new home construction. Hours haven't changed at all in any business that I've noticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.