Frugal Village Forums banner

Just when I feel good, Murphy hits!

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  misscas 
#1 ·
Well, lets face it.. I'm not good with money.
But... I'm better than I was 6 months ago. 90% better than I was a year ago! My financial situation is my own fault. However. I have taken a lot of steps to correct these faults and am/was doing good until last night.
Heres the story...
I have back bills on my lights,gas,phone,mortgage. then add in gas to get back and forth to work,car insurance,groceries and tobacco and tubes to roll our own cigs..
I called and made doable payment plans with everyone and have been doing great. I meal plan and only buy what I need for the week and only allow $100 a week for groceries (that includes TP,cat litter,cat food,ect) I have no extra money left at the end of the month but that's ok with me. As long as I can pay down the monthly bills. And it's only for 3 months.After that I'll be caught up and I'll feel a huge lift and have some $$ for the savings every month.
So, I'm happy with all the above. I was comfortable not shopping and having a strict budget.
But then Murphy came last night. :(
I get home from work, everything was fine. DH went to visit his cousin and calls me to ask if the windshield wipers and turn signals were working when I drove home. I think they were working... I didn't try the wipers so I'm not sure but they worked yesterday...
The turn signals.. I think they were working. I think I'd notice if I didn't hear the "click click click" sound they make when they are on... The fuses are fine.
Now mind you, I have NO EXTRA $$ for 3 MONTHS.
Today, I called my brother in SC who's a mechanic and he thought it's my switch. I tried to find a "how to fix it" answer online last night and found everything to say the same.. the switch.
I called the place I bought the car from ,the owner is a really nice family man, and explained my situation to him. He said this was the worst time to be asking him to defer payments for labor for 3 months but he would see if he had a used one and what it entailed to do the job and get back to me. In the meantime, I called the part store to see how much it would be to buy the part and beg a friend or a friends friend to fix it. The part store can't get it. I have to call the Dodge dealer or a junk yard. So, I call a junk yard. $65! They wanted $15 more than the part store-but the part store can't get it!
Ugh.
The wipers I can do without for a tad. it's not supposed to rain or snow for a while. But turn signals?! If I get pulled over how do I explain THAT to the cops?! "ugh, I'm sorry officer but I have no money to fix them for 3 months?!"
I'm still waiting for the guy from the shop to call me to see if he can help me.
but if he can't.. what am I going to do. I can't not pay something. It'll break the agreement and then I'll have to come up with MORE $$ I don't have.
I don't have cable, can't cut that out.
We don't go out to eat-no $$ for it.
I don't shop for things I dont need- no $$ for it.

Why when you are doing so good do these things freakin happen?!
I'm gonna see how far I can stretch the food I have in the house to save there but there is nowhere else to save. I've cut all corners. And if I use up all the food now, that'll end up being a bigger bill in the end too.. I've been trying to buy things before I run out so we always have it and it keeps me out of the store.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I guess I know that in the end it will work out. God knows, I've had my share of panics and it always works out. But we only have one car. Then, if this guy can help us and defer the payments I'll have to take time off of work. I have paid days off I can use.
ok, sorry its so long. my head is spinning.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully the mechanic can defer the payments. My hubby is a mechanic and he believes it is the flasher - module. It is located under your dash. Only costs a couple of bucks and he rarly seems them go out and it wouldn't just stop working altogether that fast. DH wants to know the type of car and year, then he will be better able to help you.

#5 ·
:shrug2: I don't know anything about cars, but I hope you get it figured out...

On the other hand - Considering how many people out there consistently drive without their turn signals, I don't think you're in too much danger of being pulled over for that reason. I had a glitch in my electrical system once that the wipers didn't work unless the left turn signal was on -- I compensated by putting on my hazards whenever it'd start raining so people didn't think I was going 'round the world to the left' ;)

#6 ·
My DH is not up at the garage right now but he will look in his manual later when he goes up there. Questions he has for you.....

- is the fuse the same for the windshield wipers and turn signals?
If it is it could be a relay or a fuseable link burned somewhere. Or it could be something unplugged under the dash that could have been bumped.

- Have you noticed any other wiring type issues?
Then it could be a bad ground.

- he says it could be the switch but for those outrageous prices they want .... check to make sure everything else is in working order. He is shocked at the prices!!!! :D

He will know more when he checks his manual. Then I will let you know. :)

#7 ·
Kind of a long shot but might be worth a try... if you can scrape together the $ for the part and it's the labor you're worried about if you have a technical college that teaches car repair they take a certain number of cars a month and repair them free of charge because the students need the hands on. We do this and it has saved $$$$. Good luck sweetie! I so hope things ease up on you soon!

#8 ·
Well, The garage called and I brought the car down there. DH cousin didnt know there were fuses in a panel on the side of the dash so he only checked the ones under the hood. Thank God it was only a fuse and he changed it out for free.
Thank you everyone for helping me. I guess I panicked before I needed to.
I was telling DH when the owner was replacing the fuse that THAT was why I would always go back to him. When it is time for DH to get a car we will be going back to him for it. Small, local, family owned garage.

#9 ·
Oh I am sooo glad you got it fixed for cheap! Read your post to my DH and he said.... "I knew they probably didn't check the other fuse box!" :lol3: He always thinks he knows everything...we this time he did but he really doesn't need his ego pumped up anymore! :lol:;)

#10 ·
yay glad all worked out!!! .... way to boot out that murphy :dancing:

#11 ·
I'm so glad things got worked out for you guys! It sounds like you have done everything you can to make things right with your money, so I know its hard to swallow when things happen. I was going to mention that you may try to sell a few items on craigslist, or find a few odd jobs to bring in a little extra money until things clear up. At least it would give you a little wiggle room in case Murphy shows up again! Best of luck for these next three months - we'll all be here cheering you on!

#16 ·
Actually, I've been watching my friends kids 2 nights a week while she goes to nursing school and getting a divorce. She qualifies for care for kids which the state pays someone to watch the kids in your home.. They told her to put the date I started watching them so I Think my first check will be retro... That will help. It wont be alot but a little is better than nothing. Not sure when it will kick in though.

#13 ·
I'm very glad to hear it! Excellent news!

#14 ·
It's good that it was such an easy, inexpensive fix. Cars can be such a hassle.

#15 ·
frugalbabe has a great point on where you can usually get your cars fixed for a 'nominal' fee... if you are having car problems check out also your local high school...ours has a 'shop' class where they like to get the cars for both mechanic and body work... it is very cheap and you get a good job coz they are getting 'graded' on it....

i'm glad for you that it was just a fuse...now give murphy the 'BOOT'...
(just not this way....throw him in the ocean or something...) haha...

#19 ·
Uh-oh...

Congrats to you! But.. I think when you kicked out Murphy, he came my way!!!! :pdoff:

Took my car in 2-11-09 for tire rotation, oil change, and alignment. Shop now wants me to spend over $1000 on various repairs!

I'm not having him do all the "needed" repairs, because I think I'm getting swindled..and I won't hi-jack your thread BUT I do find it sort of funny that your car just got fixed.. and mine is now broken a few days later!

Lol. Next time throw Murphy in a different direction please. :laugh:

#21 ·
Sorry! I tried to throw him far far away and so far no return visits! How did your car make out? Or should I ask how your wallet made out? Hope it wasn't too bad. :(
I'll shoot in the other direction next time.

#22 ·
He must have a twin brother, or he must be a fast runner, because he hit me this weekend as well! I called the vet on Friday to get my new rabbit neutered, because I've had him a week now, and he seemed fine. So, of course, on Saturday, I walk into the room to find him listing over to the left and totally non-responsive to me. One emergency vet visit later, he is on meds and we are keeping an eye on him, and he has to go back next week for a re-check and more $$$.

#24 ·
If it happens again and you don't know how to fix it, you can signal with your arm and the cops probably won't pull you over. Left arm straight out means left turn, arm bent at the elbow and hand up is right turn, stopping is arm bent at the elbow and hand down. Hopefully you don't need this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.