Frugal Village Forums banner

Uh oh......

Tags
layoff
3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  PrairieGirl 
#1 ·
Just heard from one of my co-workers that there is a rumour going around that my dept. is being looked at for layoffs....

The worse part of it? DH and I both work in the same dept :fan:

Guess I better load up on some :spam: and other canned goods this weekend....just in case something comes to pass....

I'm freaking out a bit on the inside :nerv2:

#2 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your worries. I hope that the rumours don't turn out to be true. How scary!

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks ladies.....my super is away on holidays for another week so when he's back, I'll get the scoop from him. He's pretty candid with me so I know he wont sugar coat the situation if he knows something. That, in itself, is a blessing.

I was just thinking that I really ought to take time this weekend and come up with a workable Plan B for us....I've never done one as I held onto the belief that our industry would be fine, but now I'm not so sure. Looks like no one is safe from the recession...or depression if the worst were to happen.

Good thing DH and I are preppers....

#6 ·
Yikes! I hope it doesn't happen. :( That would totally suck especially with both of you facing it at the same time.

How is the employment rate in your area? What about in your field? Are you easily able to move if you can get a better job?

#8 ·
Hopefully it's just a rumor and you don't lose your jobs. Either way, it's always good to have a Plan B in the works. Good luck and keep us updated.

#14 ·
I agree with Michelle at least you maybe have notice. It is better prepared for nothing than being unprepared.

#9 ·
Prairie...

just said a prayer for you and your hubby...

#11 ·
Well rumors are worth the paper they are written on. Lets just hope it's nothing. And if it is lets just pray they have mercy and only let one of you go if anyone. My thoughts are with you and with the many others facing these rough times.

#13 ·
I hope all goes well and neither of you gets cut! Sending good luck! :)

#16 ·
You certainly sound like your keeping your head about it. Making "just in case" plans is a smart thing to do, especially in these times. I really hope things will turn out good for you and your family. Remember though, that the FV ladies are always here with a sympathetic ear.

Please keep us up-to-date too.

Wishing you well! :hugz:

Theresa :)

#17 ·
We'll say a prayer for you. Can I ask what industry you are in?

#18 ·
Well here's hoping it's just a rumor. Having a Plan B is always a good idea for everybody...sometimes having a Plan C & D come in handy too.

#22 ·
If there are layoffs, I wonder if the company will take into consideration the fact that you both work there and will be more willing to save one of your jobs so that you both are not immediately unemployed.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the concerns!!

My direct supervisor wont be back from holidays until next week so it'll be a bit of time before any concerns can be brought up with him re: these talks....

I told DH on friday night the things I had heard and his response was "why did you tell me?! you know I'll dwell on this all weekend!!"...so I told him its better he dwell on it now when things are "good" than when we're struggling and in real deep sh*t, ya know? He thought about it for one moment and agreed. We had some good talks about what we could potentially do just in case so all in all, at least this brought up a good conversation. I honestly think no matter how stable you think your job is, I suggest everyone has a talk with their partners about a "what if?" scenario.

I did an inventory of what we have stockpilled and did a little bit of shopping over the weekend to refill what we use lots. Still a few more items to go but I'm trying to keep us all within budget while I do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.