Frugal Village Forums banner

U.S. sets up recession mental health Web site

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jacqueline 
#1 ·
"It details health risks from layoffs, foreclosures and other economic turmoil, risks such as depression, anxiety and compulsions such as over-eating or gambling. The site also gives tips for managing stress and links to hotlines or centers for help with drugs and alcohol abuse or preventing suicide.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2009/03/30/daily27.html

For managing stress, the site advises people to strive for a hopeful attitude towards the future, to stay connected to family and friends, and to exercise."

http://www.samhsa.gov/economy/

"This guide provides practical advice on how to deal with the effects financial difficulties can have on your physical and mental health -- it covers:

* Possible health risks
* Warning signs
* Managing stress
* Getting help
* Suicide warning signs
* Other steps you can take"

See less See more
Reactions: QM and Michelle68
#2 ·
Thanks for the links. Very useful information for those who have been affected by the recession.

#3 ·
Hmmm. It's a mixed bag for me. The gov puts up the site, basically saying hey, we know people are depressed, suicidal, etc. We know people need help. So here is some info for you folks (that you can find anywhere on the web), but they don't seem to offer any HELP. Sure, hotlines are great. But what about real help? What about people that NEED to see a doctor, people that need a medication regimen, etc.

No help there, it seems, unless you have kids or are pregnant or disabled. (example: I have been off meds for over 5 months because guess what? I'm unemployed. I have no insurance (never have, but paid out of pocket before, can't do that now).

It always has burned my butt that if you work part time, if you are low paid, if you are on unemployment, etc, basically you fall through the cracks on eligibility for anything. Too bad for you, sorry about your luck it seems.

But if you manage to crank out some kids (irresponsibly) then, well, here you go, heres a house, a car, some money, some food, and all the medical care you need.

Like the ciggarette tax that just went into effect to supposedly fund health insurance for children. Well, dont we already have several programs for that? Medicaid, FAMIS, and I think states have thier own individual programs also. I dont think children are going without healthcare, its too easily obtained for children, if a child is without healthcare in the US, its due to lack of knowledge.

Now adults are a whole different story.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Reactions: jacqueline
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.