Frugal Village Forums banner

unemployment questions

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  kita 
#1 ·
dh was told yesterday if his quota does not improve he will be let go. Unfortunately even though he has had a good record with the company his forklift position was eliminated and the job they moved him to has a quota. ( 3 others also got notice)

not a good time for us as I will have major surgery the week it will happen and be off work 4 weeks. self employed so no disability.

I think I have the cobra ins figured out so that has put my mind at ease some. Thank you Mr. President we will only have to pay 35% of the cost.

But if he gets a p/t job now he would have to quit to get unemployment? or they just deduct what he would make that week?
and if he did quit would he be denied unemployment?

Luckily we do have some savings but only 2 to 3 months,
Luckily I did not buy that laptop I was sure I needed. It can wait.

#3 ·
Not sure, but believe if you quit you may not qualify for unemployment.
I would googe: qualifiying for unemployment in Missouri, to find out specifics.
Good Luck with everything. we have been without health insurance for 2 yrs,
but not needing major surgery as you do. Once in a while I do get nervous about no coverage.

#4 ·
Reactions: itlw8
#6 ·
In Texas you get unemployment from the day you file (if you qualify) and not from the day you are laid off. Also having a part-time job while on unemployment just makes your benefits last longer. They deduct what you make part-time from what they would normally pay you.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
In NJ they figure 20% of what your benefit is, then allow you to make that "free" after that they deduct dollar for dollar using PRE TAX dollars. If you work 32 hours or more, that week's benefits are eliminated regardless of how little you you made. (At my part-time job rate, it does not make sense to work full-time). It does make your benefits last longer and that would be a definite plus considering the times.

#8 ·
firtly - I'm sorry to hear the DH's job might be on the chopping block and sounds as if it couldn't happen at a worse time what with your operation.

I'm glad you have some money in the bank.

I think that now is the time to really do some research about unemployment. you have some money in the bank - I know some places if you have over a certain ammount you don't qualify...

I would be checking all the rules out so that if it happens you know where you stand and what to do next so that it gets rolling asap.

#9 ·
We currently live in Va but claim unemployment against SC. SC allows us to work part time and still recieve a portion of our unemployment check, if we can find a pt job (that's another story). But Virginia does not allow you to get any UI if you work AT ALL. So if we had worked in VA and filed against them, then got a 10 hr a week job, we couldnt claim.

Each state works a little differently, go to your states office or website and find out what the eligibility qualifications are.

Another thing to think about, in SC and Va, if you are terminated versus being laid off, you do not qualify for unemployment, so depending upon how they terminate him for low quota, may leave you with no unemplyment. One good thing is that you have a heads up about this, many people in this situation are blindsided one day when they walk into work. So you have some planning time.

We are going through it now, with no savings, and no jobs. I wish you the best of luck and be sure to read up on your states information.

#10 ·
Another thing to think about, in SC and Va, if you are terminated versus being laid off, you do not qualify for unemployment, so depending upon how they terminate him for low quota, may leave you with no unemplyment. One good thing is that you have a heads up about this, many people in this situation are blindsided one day when they walk into work. So you have some planning time.

We are going through it now, with no savings, and no jobs. I wish you the best of luck and be sure to read up on your states information.
As long as it is not gross negligent you will qualify but it is taking 6 to 8 weeks to investigate

good news for the last few days they moved him to a different job that does not have a computer generated quota. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear your sad news......do the investigating now so you can plan accordingly or at least, not have as bad a shock.

Each state is soooo different with the UI.....here if you are fired and it is "through no fault of your own" (didn't make quota)that you lost your job then you would qualify.

Good luck.....

#13 ·
Arrgghhh...be careful about the working "part-time", I had an oppurtunity to work full time for two weeks at a rate that made sense and now I have to appeal because they have cut my EI altogether. I'm only a sub and since I was subbing in a school...no more subbing now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.