Frugal Village Forums banner

Have to get this off my chest!

Tags
chest
4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  MommyBliss 
#1 ·
I need to get this off my chest. We didnt buy that house we had posted about previously - we could not afford a move. I think that made us feel down, that we couldnt have things we wanted etc. Not saying that the feeling was justified, but that I cant deny it wasn't there. At the same time it made me proud that we resisted something that we were not ready for.

So what do we do, we turn around and buy a camper. Yes ours was broke and we have vacation coming up. We have a tent and could have slept in a tent, but no we went and bought a camper. We bought lower end, but got a good deal for our money so to speak. We had the cash for 60% of it and the last 40% we put on the line of credit. We used our emergency fund on a camper! We love the camper, but I loved having that money in the bank more.

Please don't post about what we should have done - we know that & learned the hard way. I'm just needing to get this off my chest that we now have $10 in our emergency fund and it feels like we are so strapped for money because we don't have that cushion we have been so use to for the past couple years. It's quite stressful.

If nothing else, those of you who have an emergency fund or are starting one, don't do what we did. Save it for emergencies only. We screwed up big doing this and it will take us quite awhile to get that $1000.00 saved up again. It's so hard not reverting back to old ways - even after a couple years of doing awesome we went back.

See less See more
Reactions: Greebo
#2 ·
I think we have all been in this situation and know the feeling, so no "You should have" from me. Just keep your chin up and know you will find what is meant for you. We have been "looking" for the last 2 years, do we have enough money? No, but you just never know what you will come across. People need to sell property and homes just to survive these days, so maybe you will come across someone who isn't asking a fortune and just wants out from under a payment. Hugs and prayers. :hugz:

Cat

Reactions: Wendy99
#3 ·
I am right where you are with I think $1 in savings, with fixing up the new house and all that stuff we are making it with a little to spare. As long as we have a roof over our head, food in our stomachs and the bills are paid I am ok with it. For now...

#4 ·
Well, not to justify what you did...but it could have been worse. You could have spent that money on the vacation and had nothing to show for it. At least you could sell the trailer. And as upset as you are, it won't take that long to get the fund back. At least half of this money management stuff is desire.

#5 ·
But also you need to look at this 'mistake' as a learning experience as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, that we all make mistakes, we learn from those mistakes & then we do better next time.

It's done, so don't continue to beat yourself up over it.

Just jump back on that EF wagon and get it back to 'fully funded' as soon as possible!:grouphug:

#6 ·
I guess I'll look at it differently. Yes you could have slept in a tent but since I'm getting old I have a really hard time getting up and down so I would have spent the money so I could still enjoy what I like doing. Money in nice in the bank but sometimes you have to treat yourself good to continue to save,,,,,,,,,, Just my throughts on it.
Fern

#7 ·
Wendy99, your honesty is refreshing! This might just be THE THING that keeps you from every doing something big and stupid with money ever again. If you learned from the experience, it might have been a bargain!

#9 ·
It's done, the money's spent and now you have your camper and a lesson learned. Start funding the EF again (spending it only for an emergency), enjoy your camper and come from this a wiser person financially. (BTW, about 4 years ago we used our EF to buy a used pop up camper. Practically everyone here has done something not-so-smart when it comes to money. ;) )

#10 ·
... (BTW, about 4 years ago we used our EF to buy a used pop up camper. Practically everyone here has done something not-so-smart when it comes to money. ;) )
Thank you! Your post made me laugh as we bought the pop up kind as well.

#13 ·
Now you owe it to yourself to get the maximum enjoyment out of the camper! Every weekend in the middle of nature, enjoying the birds, trees, no stores, no spending, realizing that you only need the basics to live..... Your EF will be back in no time at all!

#14 ·
wendy:
like everyone said i agree with -it's a lesson we all learn -plus u got a nice camper so it was a investment for u.at least u know here your money is spent on. u didn't throw it away, you didn't gamble it. Its yours.enjoy it.
And in no time u will have your EF back , you'll see.

#15 ·
Yes...I agree.

It could have been worse. At least you have something to show for your money.

#17 ·
What's done is done. What's good is that you're using this as a learning opportunity for others. :D

#21 ·
Thank you. We've used the camper once already and will again for 2 weeks in August (we booked our vacation long before the camper) and it's great - it really is. It's just really extremely hard to get the emergency fund back again .. it's at a stand still and often I need to dip into what little we have for food / gas to get to work. My dh isnt getting overtime and I'm not getting the extra hours that was thought to happen - darn economy. So it's a huge lesson thats still being learnt. If I had to go back I'd probably still do it differently only because I'm scared without that money in the bank, but in the same breath I'm really enjoying the camper. It may be harder this time around to get the EF to $1000.00, but with determination and being careful it will happen again. I need to watch that grocery budget - it has a few holes :) Thanks for being supportive & I'm glad I posted our mistake because it's better than keeping it inside. Anyways I've rambled on a bit now ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.