Frugal Village Forums banner

When Murphy hits, he hits hard (whine ahead)

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ansley 
#1 ·
Quick background info: DH will not try to stick to a budget. He gets the "I want its" often but to his credit lately it has gone to cheaper items. They still add up but he is trying. We have about 600 in med bills and about a month ago we found out that lo will need surgery in Aug. Can't save anything because every penny is spent even on my budget not counting DH’s whims. DH will not get a second job (the one and only time I insisted, he caused the co. so much trouble the police were called) and he insist that I don't.

Current: I knew the water bill was high but I didn't do anything about it. One morning before work I heard water running in the main bathroom (thank God we have 2). DH decided not to miss work and repair it when he got home. We cannot turn the water off because MIL keeps the dc at our house while we are gone. So, it ran all day. I am dreading the water bill. We knew the floors were in bad shape but I was hoping to be done with BS2 before we had to do something. Nope, not gona happen. The floor is completely rotten under the bathtub and at least 1 floor joist will need replaced or repaired. The wall will need repaired but not sure how much of it. All the plumbing needs redone. I could see from the holes in the floor that it runs in several different and odd angles. The 2 baths and kitchen are in line and the utility room is just behind the kitchen. I don't know why they did a hack job this bad. I am going to try to get DH just to fix the plumbing, wall and subfloor/joist and then finish (replace rotted cabinets, floor covering, rusted bathtub and etc.) the bathroom later. We still have one bathroom in decent condition. The floor in it is starting to rot but I hope that fixing all the plumbing will help in the short term. I also found out last night that the washing machine drain empties under the house. That should be an easy fix but I keep thinking of all the damage that has done. Yes, we had the house inspected before we bought and the only thing brought up was that the a/c was leaking in the wall and that was fixed.

Thanks for listening.

See less See more
#2 ·
first off hugggss to ya.
and its all hard when ur trying and hubby isnt on the same saving train ur taking lol
know sometimes Murphy doesnt go away and ull have to give him a kick about that tap running.lol

#5 ·
We bought the house 8yrs ago and had problems with the pipes from the start. I was told there wasn't anything I could do because the house was sold as is. I couldn't try to get the inspector to help with it because we gave the money to the seller and she paid the inspector.

#7 · (Edited)
DH is doing better little by little. I could gripe about everything he is doing to knock me off the DR plan but that wouldn't help. Lately I have been trying to mention all the little things he has done; like paying the bills on time. That seems to work much better. Now if I would just remember to praise him everytime he does something financially helpful.

Thanks everyone. I just needed to talk about it and ya'll were a lot of help.

#8 ·
Someone from the insurance co. is supposed to come and look at the damage tomorrow afternoon. They told us that they probably couldn't do anything because they don't cover rot. My mom said they should, seeing as it was from a leaking pipe. We'll see.

DH called the car ins. about adding ds (he is in drivers ed right now) and they said our ins would go from about 100 a month to about 300 a month. I personally think that is too much and may start getting some quotes.

#9 · (Edited)
That is low. My DD would raise the ins. $1000. a year. Why can't he stay on a permit until he is 18yrs old??. does he have a job to help cover it. As far as the home ins. coverage goes remember his job is to say no or at least stall. Your job is to get him to yes to at least part by being persistant.

Sorry read it wrong. Thats $1200. We have had good luck w/ Progressive.

#10 ·
DS is 15 and can not work legally. He does have a cash only job but has worked 4hrs in the past 2weeks. All the school kids are trying to get jobs and most of the adults are looking for pt second jobs. So if you get a job you don't get many hrs.

I was told that when he was old enough to drive he had to go on the ins and he has to go on the newest most expensive auto or our ins could be cancelled. I got a quote from gieco with him on my auto (paid for beater) and it was much lower.

#12 ·
Most sinks, toilets, etc, have a valve where you can turn them off at the appliance, rather than shutting the water off to the house. Might be someting to try if you hear water running again. If you have two bathrooms, that shouldn't put your MIL out too much.

Good luck with the repairs. Rot in the wood really sucks, because it spreads beyond the actual water damage. The sooner you get it repaired, the better.

#14 ·
Our house was built in 1960 and the only places that have a cut off valve are the 2 toilets. I really wanted the plumping redone with the cutoff valves but dh "needed" a newer truck.

DH refuses to do anything until the insurance company gets back with him. They already said they wouldn't do anything about the floor but might on the wall. My real fear at this time is snakes coming in the house.

I am going to have to look for a second job. DH has a more marketable skill but he will not do it. :(

#13 ·
So sorry that you are having these troubles! Water damage is really bad! I hope you can get it fixed soon! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.