Frugal Village Forums banner

Difficult decision - withdrawing retirement funds

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dancing Lotus 
#1 ·
I won't go into alot of details, but my company re-organized & I was presented with the option to withdraw some of my retirement funds - only having to pay taxes, no penalties. I am no where near retirement & I have been very agressive about contributing to it. The past year has been a struggle for me. Prices going up, DD growing up, etc - I have not only just been making ends meet - I've not met a few on time. :( Add to that, the market & economy the way it is, I made a very difficult decsion. I am paying off debt. Luckily, I don't have to take it all out, but I am paying off the rest of my credit card debt - AND - my car. I'll be debt free except for our mortgage! Although I am so excited about that - I am still pretty bummed about taking my retirement.

#2 ·
It's hard to borrow against your future, but at least you are paying off debt and putting yourself in a positive place with it, not buying a boat or a vacation like some people would.

Reactions: rsbs
#3 ·
We did just that less then a year ago. Dh was laid off and we had no choice. We cashed in and paid off a few things that would make it possible for us to live within our means. When he became employed again we were in a better place. Since our budget isn't so tight we were able to pay off all the rest of our debts as well. NOW we are completely debt free and can invest more heavily then before in retirement. It would take very long before we have gained back all that we lost and then in time be ahead of the game.

I know that not many financial guru's would agree with what we did but it really was the right thing for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.