Frugal Village Forums banner

To a better 2010 for us!

Tags
1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  khaski 
#1 ·
In a nutshell, a family crisis involving my 11 year old son changed our situation when it was agreed he would live with my father, 3 hours away. On top of the emotional starin this all caused for my household, between no longer getting child support from my ex, and now paying out child support to my Dad, our income $ dropped by $1k a MONTH, on top of my husband's manufacturing business barely eeking by. It has been such a tough year for us, all around. These last few months I haven't even made up a monthly budget, which I have done every month without fail the past few years, and we've made NO progress on our debts in a good 9+ months.

So....I need to get off my duff, get budgeting again and stick to it! I need to concentrate more in this new year on the snowball, every little bit counts. I am opening my own etsy shop next month to help a little, and my hubby's business is picking back up. We -hope- to purchase a new-to-us mini van,. paying cash, later this year, if we can swing it- piecing it together bit by bit, but sure does hamper the debt reduction efforts. I try to remind myself planning ahead to NOT acquire new debt is a step towards our goals.

We've thus far made it, sometimes it felt like we were -just- staying afloat, but bills have all been paid, on time, we've been just getting by.

Back on track, our horrible 2009 is almost done, 2010 is a new year! Thanks to all of those of you who share your sucess stories, inspiring me, or share your hardships, making me feel not quite so alone in these tough times!

See less See more
#3 ·
Its so hard to want to make progress on your debts and then not be able to for circumstances out of your control or that come out of the blue. 2009 has been one for the books for a lot of us- and Im determined like you are to get things tightened up and move forward with some positivity!

I remember dreading 2009 when it started and just wanting to get through it but I feel more optimistic for 2010- i mean, how much worse can things get?

Good luck to you!

#4 ·
I know you can do this. 2010 will be be a better year for ya.

#6 ·
Wishing you all the best the New Year has to offer...Health, Happiness and Love
May all your goals be attained and best of luck to you and yours.

#7 ·
Wishing you much luck in the new year khaski! It will be a better year. :)

#8 ·
Wishing you all the best in 2010!

#9 ·
Here's to a beter 2010 for you and all of the rest of us. It sounds like you have a solid plan for where you want to go and that is great. Hugs.

#11 ·
Good luck with your plan , Khaski, and Happy New Year to all!

#12 ·
Good luck!

I have a question: why a mini-van? Do you need the van-part? Will a smaller car do? Is it a model that will use very little gas?

#13 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words....part of my 'plan' to get back on track is to come to these forums more often- I used to stop by frequently, but once we got 'whalloped' with out big financial change, I couldn't stand to, I was so depressed and feeling 'stuck'. But I'm back in 2010 to get some motivation and hlep motivate others (I hope).

Siebrie- yes, the minivan is a necessity for a bunch of reasons, but luckily I am a SAHM, as we live in a rural area- I used to cummute 30+ miles each way before my younger 2 came along. My running arounds are usually errands within a 30 minute radious or so, and I try to plan them out to use the least gas possible. Most of my running, save the 1-2 days of those errands, is within a 3 mile radius to preschool post office, friend's houses....so I drive less than most in the suburbs, even living in a remote area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.