Frugal Village Forums banner

I need advice and guidance please

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DaughterOfErin 
#1 ·
I live in Michigan. 3 months ago I rented a house with my then boyfriend. We parted ways 2 months ago and I have been paying rent and bills by myself. I have a 4 year old. I cannot afford to pay rent by myself. The boyfriend is history and would be no help.

I called the landlord and told him I cannot afford the rent anymore after this month. He said I am liable for rent and will not talk to me. My then boyfriend found this house online and had email communications with the landlord. The day we moved in the landlord took our rent, security deposit and gave us the keys. We did not sign any papers or lease. Can I just move out?

Rent is $1000 a month
misc bills for me is about $400 a month

Right now a good friend is buying groceries for me to make sure my child has good healthy meals. I have no extra money at this time.

My income is $1500 a month.

A friend found some really nice townhomes that are income based that I want to put in an application for. The rent can range $450-$600 a month depending on income. This would be more reasonable for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
i dont know for sure but if nothing was sign it was verbal agreement and sounds more like the agreement was between the ex bf and the landlord..and if it was a verbal month to month i think the bf has to give a 30 day notice..but all states are different..

so i think the bf is responsible for it all unless you were in the middle of the verbal agreements..if you werent then i would think you arent required to say or do anything..andthe ex bf is required to give notice and pay any fees and rent payments...id call a lawyer and see if they will tell you anything.

keep note of everything you discussed/discuss with the landlord and the ex bf times and dates too

#5 ·
So you did not sign anything? Were you mentioned anywhere in the emails? As long as you weren't listed, get out. In NJ anyway, you can be considered a teneant with all the legal rights(and responsibilities I would assume) by the landlord just letting you be there. This is why landlords are so insistant that they know every person who living there. I have heard of horror stories from the landlords about situations like this where they had to take the "tenant" to court and then give him a certain number of days because of a situation similar to this. So I say get out before he can assume you are a tenant. (I guess possession is 9/10s of the law.)

#6 ·
I did a search online and the following came up. Also, any security deposit you and ex gave him can not be used for rent. It can only be used for things like: to repair any damaged or if you have a balance due on electric or something like that.

It sounds to me like you never even signed a lease with the owner or a sublease with your ex. Be very interesting to find out what happens wth your situation.

Also, have you tried applying for section 8. It is temporary rental help until your income goes up or you can find a less expensive place to rent. I know that in Hawaii the waiting list for section 8 is years long because it is so expensive to live there but it is worth a try. Also low income housing might be worth looking into. Just trying to throw out some options for you to explore.

"My lease doesn't expire until September but I want to move out in June. Can I be held responsible for the rent for the remainder of the lease?"
Your lease cannot require that you automatically pay the entire amount of rent remaining if you break the lease. Your landlord probably will charge you rent for the period during which he/she is unable to find a tenant. It is to your advantage to help the landlord find a new tenant. If you have to break lease, both you and your landlord have a duty to mitigate damages. This means that each of you has a responsibility to minimize the cost to each other. Your landlord has a duty to actively seek a new tenant for the rental unit and cannot charge you for rent after he or she has found a new tenant.

#7 ·
Are you getting child support? If not, why not?

#8 ·
I would certainly just walk away and call and cancel the utlities or transfer them. If you did not give a ss#, it will be really hard to track you down unless the landlord knows where you work. That could get ugly. You told the landlord you couldn't pay the rent, put it in writing (mail it immediately and keep a copy) and specify he may keep the security deposit to cover the last 30 days of rent if he wishes.

You may qualify for food stamps, medicaid, heating bill assistance or section 8. It is worth it to fill out the form for social services in your state and go down and talk to the social worker just to know for sure. It would make things more comfortable.

The one catch on social services aid is the father will be tracked down to garnish him for child support. Sometimes that results in him getting visitation. If there is something wrong with the man that makes him inappropriate to take care of the child part-time, skip this idea entirely. I've heard way too many woman say the man turned out to be an batterer or child abuser and since mom filed for state aid, the 'unfit donor' gets to be alone with the child.

#9 ·
Please let us know what you choose to do and what happens. Good luck - think you have some really good advice offered here!!

#10 ·
I live in Michigan. 3 months ago I rented a house with my then boyfriend. We parted ways 2 months ago and I have been paying rent and bills by myself. I have a 4 year old. I cannot afford to pay rent by myself. The boyfriend is history and would be no help.

I called the landlord and told him I cannot afford the rent anymore after this month. He said I am liable for rent and will not talk to me. My then boyfriend found this house online and had email communications with the landlord. The day we moved in the landlord took our rent, security deposit and gave us the keys. We did not sign any papers or lease. Can I just move out?
Pretty much, yes.You'll lose your security deposit, but he's got no proof you owe him anything.

Right? He doesn't have your information, your signature on anything, etc? No way to go after you in court?

My income is $1500 a month.

A friend found some really nice townhomes that are income based that I want to put in an application for. The rent can range $450-$600 a month depending on income. This would be more reasonable for me.
$450 is on the high side for your income. $600 is insane. Can you find cheaper, or a roommate?

#11 ·
Quick fix, roommate. Long-term fix, look into the low income housing as you mentioned and then into Habitat for Humanity. If you can't get a roommate, is moving in with the friend that is helping you with food an option? Or any other friends? Temporarily of course while you pursue the low-income housing.

#12 ·
No lease? 30 days notice to quit is all that is required.\

One other thing, when you move out make sure you take PLENTY of picture and video of the place being spotless and in "broom swept" condition. Landlord took security from you? Then by law he's required to give that back to you. If he doesn't take him to small claims court. Costs about $15 to file and you can represent yourself, (I've done it in the past and WON!!) But make SURE you take pics otherwise the LL will try to say you trashed the place.

But make sure you give 30 days notice otherwise he is entitled to the security deposit in that case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.