Frugal Village Forums banner

Up the creek without a paddle

Tags
creek paddle
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ncarr 
#1 ·
Well as most of the villagers here know we have a lot of debt and just enough money to cover that debt. Now here is the tough part or new white cap on our situtation:

Congress did not pass the UIA extention before they broke for Easter. So My benefits have been exausted according the Michigans UIA website. From what I have seen on different websites, even if they do pass something many (up to 200,000) will not get any further assistance from UIA.

To top that off I still can not find a job, I am lucky enough to have two children I watch giving me approx 1000.00 a month.

The bad news?! DH was laid off, and his employer says they did not pay into unemployment because there are only 4 employees. I am not sure if this is true, but I made DH apply anyways.

I am waiting to hear back from the mortgage company on our in house mod. We did not qualify for the HAMP program, but they are offering 5 years @ 2%, 6th year 3%, 7th year $%, and 8th year to life of loan 5%. So if Fanny Mae accepts this new loan our payment would go from $1047 a month to $695 a month. We are supposed to hear something by the 15th of April. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

We no longer have any insurance, so I applied for My Child with the state of Michigan for DD. She is only 4 and NEEDs insurance. I also applied for food assistance.

I am really not sure what else I can do. I already feel like I have taken advantage of the "system" by asking for help, but I just don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my house, and we could turn everything off, and move in with my parents until things turned around. That way we would still have our home when our situtation changed. I will not lose my home, I have put way to much money into it/down on it to walk away now.

I have hurd of a Federal program that will assist you with your bills for no longer then 2 years and you can olny get benefits once in your life time, but I am not sure if they would consider us. I will have to ask when we have our meeting at the DHS office.

Thank you for letting me get this out and any advise would be great!

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you applied to any local church assistance programs or charities?

Do you have friends or family who can help you find work and relocate out of state?

#3 ·
It sounds like you're doing everything you should be and can do. I recall seeing something on Verizon's web site several months back, about a federal program that assists in telephone service for those who cannot afford it...nvm, here's the link: Lifeline and Link-Up: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers

It appears that if you qualify for any of the assistance programs listed, you automatically qualify for a credit up to $13.50 on you telephone bill. It doesn't seem like a lot, but hey, every little bit helps right?

Also, I know that the electric company down here (Progress) has a program to temporarily assist those who are experiencing financial hardship.

I hope things start to turn around quickly for you. ((hugs))

#4 ·
Has Hubby started looking for work in other areas?

#6 ·
He is a licenced plumber with the state of michigan.

Yep his is applying anywhere and everywhere he can, as am I. Hopefully someone will hire at least one of us within the next couple weeks!

#9 ·
Got some promising news today in the mail:

DD qualified for MIChild~ So we don't have to worry about her not having insurance.

UIA contacted me and said I get another 6 weeks, but could be more if congress passes another extention. So a small light at the end of the pitch black tunnel

#10 ·
Don't be too proud to get assistance from the county or state.The ones that abuse the system are wrong but its there for ones that do. When you are in better situation you can alway drop out of it. Hope things improve for you.

#11 ·
Almost exactly what I was going to say. You've paid into it, it's there for you to use. Don't feel guilty.

Any chance of maybe getting another babysitting kid?

HOpe it gets better and he gets a job. Hugs long distance.

#12 ·
I have been looking around and telling other people to keep an eye/ear out for another kid. I am hoping if I could get at least 1 more I could calm down knowing the four walls, food, and utilities would be paid. I could care less right now about our other debt. They can take me to court for all I care at this moment in time.

#13 ·
Got a little more good news yesterday. Our in house mod was approved! here is what it looks like:

Years 1-5 @ 2%
year 6 @ 3%
year 7 @ 4%
Year 8 @ 5.25% (this will be the rate until 2029 when we will have a balloon payment due at the end)

We are paying 6.3/8% now, so it will save us money, and in 19 years our situtation will have changed greatly. I am going to take the offer, which will allow us to say in our home, I will not be behind on my mortgage which will improve my credit, and I will be able to pay our mortgage utilities and buy very inexpensive groceries with my babysitting money alone. This is such a huge relief for me. Thank you everyone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.