Frugal Village Forums banner

Gotta love pay cuts for your country.

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ansley 
#1 ·
So DH is national guard. He didn't like active duty enough to stay but he liked it enough to want that connection so that's where he ended up. He is a police officer now. Yeah he makes a decent amount of money and we live that way, working on saving up an 6 month emergency fund and paying off credit cards. All that stuff. We just bought a house last summer. Everything was looking up.

Then he was deployed on short notice... and took a big pay cut.For the 2 months he was stateside for training we were having to dip into our savings to cover everything, just waiting for him to go over seas. With all the extra deployment pay plus his promotion we would be breaking about even from where we were before. So things would be back on track once we ride out that first little bit. Not a huge deal.

Now that he's there, he still hasn't been promoted. There's a whole group of them that have orders for it but they are waiting, for whatever reason. He should have had his SGT rank at the beginning of April. Still nope, so there's orders for it there but he isn't even getting paid for it. :angry:

He checked his next paycheck (we can online) today and it still doesn't have the extra combat pay and such on it, just housing allowance and family separation. It covers things a bit but not everything. And there goes our savings. :thud: And we're still short. Credit card payments are just going to have to wait.

I'm working on selling stuff. I've been doing what I can to save money but still, with a house, bills and three boys to feed there's not much more I can cut that hasn't been already! I'm already canceling cable as soon as I pay the next bill. Although that doesn't help me much right now.

I've called both of his credit cards about the Service member's Civil Relief Act to lower his interest rates. I don't qualify for it on mine because he's not on the account. This will help us in the long run but again not right now.

I am super proud of my husband and what he does for our country but I also feel that the military does not pay anything near what these men and women deserve.

I'm just so annoyed at this. First I'm upset because my husband is gone for a year and now I'm having to deal with money issues because the Army can't get its crap together and pay my husband what he should be getting paid. Hello Murphy.

The upside is when they do finally give him the money we'll get all the back pay too. It just really really sucks right now. :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles Mrs. Optimistic.

I'm sure you know but Military One Source has some great resources for both the military servicemember and the family of the servicemember. It may not have any beneficial information that applies to your particular situation, but it really is a plethora of resources.

Secondly, call your husband's unit. Every unit that deploys has support staff at home, people that were unable to deploy, people that have to step up and fill the needs of the office during the deployment. Ask them what is going on, have them look into the pay issue and to lean on the USPFO to get it corrected and get it corrected NOW. There is absolutely no reason for this.

Thirdly, (and this is more for general knowledge for all as I am sure you know this), the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act will also cap interest rates on mortgages, cars, etc.
I hope it gets corrected and corrected quickly. If there is anything I can do, let me know.

#3 ·
Thanks. :)

We're doing what we can to get things settled. After we talked today he was heading right over to check on stuff on his end. I just think the extra pay hasn't kicked in yet, for everyone. Stupid but we really shouldn't have expected otherwise. I don't think we've ever gotten a pay change on time in the last 5 years.

#5 ·
First off, thank you for the sacrifice your family is making for our country. I appreciate your husband's service.

It really sucks that they are delaying his hazardous duty pay :( I know my mom struggled too when that happened. I agree that it is wrong for him to have to take a pay cut when he is providing a service to his country.

Check on base for assistance programs. They might be able to help you with the gaps you're having until things get straightened out.

#6 ·
Sucks big time

#9 ·
I didn't even think about contacting the VFW. DH is a member and was going to the monthly meetings until this deployment showed up. I'll hunt up a number and see what they say tomorrow/Monday. Thanks. :D

#8 ·
I hope this pay issue gets resolved quickly. I'd like to say how unfair this is for your family. Having to deal w/your husband's deployment is enough for anyone. I wish I had some helpful advise to add... Perhaps, the information others have shared can help. Sometimes, just getting it out can help you feel better & we're here to listen.

#10 ·
With pay issues I always called his unit. There is always someone that stays behind to deal with these issues. I have been in your shoes and when you are planning on that money and not getting it it certainly sucks. I hope you get things straightened out. As you said the good part is that the pay is retro active so when you finally do get it it will be nice. don't forget that all that money he makes is tax free so you should be getting a check back for that money as well. I would get a paycheck on the 1st and then a week later I would get the tax money back. Good luck with everything.

#11 ·
It makes we want to cry when I hear about some of the hardships that military families are going through. They are making an extremely big sacrifice for others, and are left in a really tough situation, and with lots of uncertainty.

Sorry I have no tips; I'm Canadian, but I have learned a lot about how military families operate, and I feel for you.

I am always amazed at the strength of the spouses in these situations.

#13 ·
MrsOptimistic--I have been thinking about you a lot lately and I just had an 'a-ha' moment.

As the dependent of a Guard soldier activated for more than 30 days, you are eligible for assistance from the Army Emergency Relief Fund. The AER operates under the philopshy that the Army takes care of its own. Please check out their website by clicking here.

I'm going to post more in depth information on the AER in the military families kith, but wanted to make sure you had this information.

#14 ·
I hear ya on the late promotions and bonus checks. I have even heard of the regular pay not coming in like it is suppose to.

But in defense out our country my x's income (not executive but good for our area) doubled when he was activated, not counting the housing, separation, travel and etc pay. He saved a bundle in med bills while on active duty and the commissary is mega cheap. Well worth driving a couple hrs 1X a month for groceries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.