Frugal Village Forums banner

very scared

Tags
scared
6K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  miss_cas 
#1 ·
I need some help. I am not working and my hubby may get laidoff this week cause the condo he works at don't want them and they trying to save money and the company he works for has no place for him and we don't know if the new company that the condo may pick would take him. The condo people wantd him and his boss but not the property management company. I don't know what to do. We will loose the house, file bankrucy, loose our car, I am so scared. He will get unempolyment and we can move in with his grandma but what if he can find no work or me. We have two kids and am scared for them. I just don't know what to do. I feel like a failure. I have no education but a GED. I want to go to school for RN but now can't afford it and my hubby wants to get his CDL liense so he can try to get something else. I am scared to be homeless. What do I do? PLEASE HELP!

#2 ·
I am sorry for your situation. Hopefully he will not get laid off. I will be praying for you and your family to get through these tough financial times. Best of luck to you.

#3 ·
do you guys have children? getting a CDL is a pretty quick thing, my DH got one when he went to school for electrical engineering through VESID.( he was disabled physically for his back he had surgery)its a few classes then a test, if he goes to a bus company or something to get work they will train him for free.RN is a big undertaking not that you should sacrifice what you want, but maybe the timing isn't right yet.I wish you the very best and keeping you in my thoughts-

patty

#4 ·
Scour Craigslist, newspapers, everything you can for job opportunities for both of you.

Start stockpiling all the cash you can. Make minimum payments on everything, and ONLY minimum payments. Save the rest. If he gets laid off, stop paying anything but the basics:
1) Food
2) Lights
3) Roof
4) Transportation
5) ESSENTIAL clothing

Everything else waits.

If he ends up NOT getting laid off, then use that stockpile to GET YOUR GED.

You have an income crisis - you need to prepare yourself to do WHATEVER (legal and/or moral of course) it takes to get the skills you need to improve the income. You need to finish your GED - call local high schools and ask about adult education programs - to start. It may be very low cost or even free.

You are only a failure if you start believing you're one. If you instead look at today as the beginning of a new direction in your life, and you commit to it and resolve to do WHATEVER you need to do, learn from whomever you need to, to achieve a better future, you won't be a failure, you'll be a huge success.

Do not let yourself be paralyzed by fear. Do not evade the reality of the situation. Do not attempt to ignore ANY truth about your situation, no matter how unpleasant. Accept it as truth, then work to change it. Evasion will not work.

You can make a huge difference - this can be the moment where your whole life changes.

But you have to decide to make it so.

#5 ·
I do have my GED but no college education to get a job.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the support. I have learned one thing I NEVER WANT TO BE IN DEBT AGAIN. I hope they keep them and then I will get this debt under control and find a job and hopefully go to college.

#9 ·
When you look for jobs on Craigslist, don't forget to look under "gigs"...not long-term, but still income, and often labour or domestically related so college is not required.

Most of all, don't panic! When you panic and get anxious, it becomes hard to plan and strategize, and a good plan is waht is going to get you through this.

Will say a prayer for you!

#10 ·
I have a college degree..but am working at a job that doesn't require one.
Look at CNA work. Many places will train you for a few weeks and then you have a license which will get you more than min. wage.
Also if your math skills are fair to middlin', look at accounting CLERK. My brother called it glorified data entry but it pays better than min. wage. If you can do data entry (which would bore me to tears), it can pay very well.

#11 ·
I'm crossing my fingers for you! Like the others said cut everything you can cut.

Don't knock yourself for not having a college education. I know lots of people that are very successful without a college education. I also know college educated people with sucky jobs they hate that pay bad. It works lots of different ways. I have a friend who has been a waitress 24 years! She works in a great place and made over 45K last year.

There are cdl classes you can pay to take. However lots and lots of companies will train you for free. Not just OTR companies. Dh started with a company years ago that helped him get his class b cdl and later another company that trained him for class A, doubles/haz mat etc. You do not have to pay a truck driving school for this is my point.

#12 ·
What is Data entry and what kind of job could I get through that?

#14 ·
Data entry is where they have you sit at a computer and key in data from forms other people have filled out. It's tedious work, but if you can use a computer, and you can type with any reasonable accuracy, it's something to start with.

#15 ·
That sounds like something I can do, if someone will give me a chance.

#16 ·
What part of Ohio are you in?

#17 ·
Get out there and beat the streets, apply everywhere. You sound very stuck on the fact that you don't have a college degree, drop that thought and just start applying. Are you good with kids? Get the word out asap that you are interested in babysitting for your friends and family. Check the want ads for babysitting jobs.

Sell the van and buy a beater to get out of that payment, if you can.

Spread the word to family and friends that you are looking to make some money, ask if they need any help around the house, maybe help them with projects, house cleaning, running errands, etc. A friend of mine offered for me to moonlight and paid me $50. I normally don't do that but am in a tight situation so I took her up on it.

Have a yard sale, quick cash there if you can pull one together by the weekend. Its not much but it'll be milk and bread at the very least. Apply for assistance if you need to, or call around to the local food pantry's if you don't have food in the house to get you through the month.

Reactions: Michelle68
#18 ·
Washington Court House

#19 ·
Here's a temp agency in your area:
ACT-1 Staffing
115 S North Street,
Washington Court House, OH 43160

<!-- Psycology Today Verified Icon --> <!-- Additional Locations --> <!-- phone and email--> <!-- removed old code class="tel" as this class is not defined and this class is defined for primary phone in bp redesign--> (740) 335-4350

#21 ·
thank you!

#23 ·
#25 ·
Remember that in the event that he does get laid off, you're income bracket will then make you eligible for many govt. programs. One of those programs is financial help to get an education. It's terrible to go thru a job loss, but it can also turn into time spent for you to both make a better life while you're eligible for all the aid. There's no shame in accepting help when you honestly need it. And don't kid yourself in thinking it's a hand-out. Many of your DH's taxes paid into those programs. So turn this hardship into an opportunity for you and your husband.

You have 2 kids, so you should easily qualify for food stamps and medicaid, and maybe even supplementary income (maybe). I know here in FL, there's program that can only be used once in a lifetime, and it's a grant in the form of a check, up to $1,000, and is meant to be used for mtg payments, electric, etc. You do have to prove hardship, but in your case that will be easy. It's not a program that is "common knowledge". You have to ask about it. My relative found out about it because she knew somebody at the welfare office. Without that, she would have never known. But now you know, so be sure to ask.

Also you mentioned being able to move into his grandmother's, so at least you won't be homeless. But it's possible that you could talk to your mtg company, explain the situation, and make arrangements for at least temporary lower payments. Most are willing to do this, so there's a good chance you won't have to move anywhere. But remember, don't wait. As soon as the lay off comes, and I hope it doesn't, get on the phone and call.

I know you're scared. I've been there, and it's horrible to say the least. But it hasn't happened yet, and maybe it never will. But if it does, you've at least gotten some good advice here, and maybe it will help you if you feel prepared. I'm sure you'll at least feel a little more in control if you have a plan, along with some knowledge where to turn for help (start making calls now). If the worst does happen, do take that opportunity to get help for that education that the both of you need. There's no doubt in my mind you'll get financial aid for school. Of course you'll struggle, but you'll know it's only temporary, and the end results make it so well worth it!

Hoping the best for you and your family!

Theresa

be sure to keep us posted. we're always here to "lean on"! :)

#27 ·
We will know Friday if he will be laid off or not. The condo people did tell him a couple weeks ago that they will keep him and this other guy that does maintence there but hubby isn't getting his hopes up. If they take another company for mangement we don't know if the new company will keep hubby or have their own maintence people come in there. So that is where the possible layoff comes in. I am mainly worried about the credit cards and how we will be able to pay them.

#28 ·
I am mainly worried about the credit cards and how we will be able to pay them.
Those should be the LEAST of your worries right now.

If he gets laid off, you STOP paying those. They'll scream, they'll hollar, they'll threaten to sue you take your car take your life etc...but THEY COME LAST. They scream EXACTLY because they know how little chance they have of getting paid if they don't.

#29 ·
I just wanted to clarify what Greebo means...
House...mortgage and utilities
Food...simple and nutritious
Transportation for work..beater car or bus pass
Clothes...as needed for work. At home you can wear the sweats or grubbies you have.
come before credit cards. Look into what aid you might get. I don't have a problem if you apply for food stamps and qualify yet still pay your credit cards if you can. Don't just stop paying them just because your husband is laid off. Do stop making payments if it will affect the payments on the above four things.
What you don't want to happen is for you to pay on your CC because they are calling you several times a day, while your house and transportation car are quietly being repossessed.
Honestly, you have a car loan and a mortgage. You don't need the credit rating anytime soon if you can save the house and car.
One of the reasons people are telling you to look into selling the car if you can buy a beater car for your equity is that will save you the payments and some of your insurance payment. I f you can get out of the "habit " of a car payment life will be much better.
Don't panic. If your husband gets laid off, he should qualify for unemployment. Try to figure out if you can live on 60% of his income. If you can work part-time that will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.