Frugal Village Forums banner

Lost my job.

Tags
job lost
8K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  marjorie 
#1 ·
Well, today I got fired. I am feeling terrible.

I was on a probation type of thing. Apparently they think I am to slow to do my job, and they wanted me to go to a store about 40 minutes from my house to work which is impossible for me.

I am mad because I told them when I was getting hired I can't do anything far, and they told me oh no, you will be going to so and so store. That never happened.

They did not even tell me my pay rate. I had to find out on my first paycheck. Rediculas huh? I kept asking and they kept saying I will find out.

I am completely depressed. I can't even get out of bed. DH was gonna stay home but I made him go to work. Promised I would not do anything stupid.

To be honest with you though, this job was making me so depressed. Everyone there was so click-y and making me so uncomfortable and not even giving me a chance. I did not decorate one cake while working there. They had me base ice cakes, and ice cup cakes. That was like it! They did not even give me a chance. No one would talk to me. They were giving me 30 hours a week which was great and then they cut me down to 12 hours a week. I knew something was up.

To make matters worse, my best friend mom works there...She knew that I was getting fired before I did. She over heard it from another decorator from another store. So people in other stores knew I was getting fired. So many people knew. How terrible is that??

I am a bit slow, I do admit. But I have only been there for 4 weeks and I am trying to make everything look as good as possible in hopes that they would give me a chance to do something like decorate a cake!!

I am just so sad. I applied for unemployment but I don't think I will get it because I was not there long enough to get it. I think we may be able to get food stamps if we really need it, and I am going to a bakery in town tomorrow to apply because they are hiring but my bakery and cake decorating exeriance is not much so who knows if I will get the job.

All I can do is apply, apply, apply, and hope we do not get evicted, and hope I don't end up in the physch ward.

Things keep getting bad. I have nothing left that I can sell. Nothing. I have a few things I can sell at a yard sale still left over from last week but its maybe $50 tops and whos to say it will all sell?

I am looking on craigslist and not able to find anything under gigs or anything. I put out babysitting ads.

I am not sure what else to do?

See less See more
#5 ·
Darling, You've got to just stop and take a deep breath. I told you before you're a strong girl, and this job situation is a challenge that you can overcome, I believe that, I believe in you. Clearly this job was not meant for you. But, believe me, there IS a job out there for you, and Good For You getting right out there and putting applications in! Remind yourself just how far you've come, you are skilled, you ARE a cake decorator. Keep putting applications in, take what you can get even if it's not cake decorating. Just keep practicing your skills at home and keep applying for those cake decorating jobs in the meantime. Someone's going to recognize your talent, see your willingness to work hard for them and give you a shot. Just keep on keeping on and don't give up your dream!

Reactions: AnW819
#6 ·
(((HUGZ)))

I hope something better comes soon. A small bakery may be the perfect thing for you, more variety in work and more opportunities to decorate custom cakes.
Can you free lance? Put up an add to make speciality cakes for birthdays, grads etc?
I have a friend who makes lovely cakes (they aren't super professional but very nice) and she gets calls from friends and aquaintances and gets paid $25 to $50 for custom cakes. If you take pictures of your creations it would give you some extra cash while building up your portfolio. Tell everyone you know..

#7 ·
HollyHill, That's a great idea! My Mom was a professional baker. She worked at a steel factory but did cakes on the side to help pay the bills. I had forgotten about that. She had quite a side business.

#9 ·
Hey Ashley,

Sorry to read this! If I'm truly honest, this place does not sound like a good employer. Training is necessary! Also, it is not very nice if everybody knows you'll be fired except for you.

Do not focus too much on "cake decorating only". I understand that it can be a nice job, but in the current economy you may want to look out for something more practical such as cashier at a store or receptionist at a firm. Did you already contact temp agencies?

Widen your horizon, I am sure there will a nice job for you.

#10 ·
You've already gotten some wonderful advice so I'm just going to second keeping the types of jobs your looking for open to more than cake decorating and then maybe doing some cakes as a side line. :hugz:

#14 ·
Ashley, I have been thru a very similar situation and understand your feelings. Try to keep a positive attitude and start applying for more jobs. I agree with the others about looking at a broader spectrum of jobs. Hugs to you!!

#15 ·
Just keep swimmin' Ash. I'm going to tell you something that I HATED hearing when I didn't get the job at the first Water Utility I applied for. This one wasn't meant to be. You WILL find something better. I hated hearing it--but it was true. I ended up getting a job at the water utility in my suburb, closer to home, better hours, more flexible, etc. You will find something amazing.

You have an amazing talent for cakes. You ahve a portfolio. Advertise your cake services on craigslist. Offer to decorate birthday cakes, wedding cakes, graduation cakes, bachelor/ette party cakes (haha like the armadillo cake from Steel Magnolias!), cupcakes, etc. etc.!

#16 ·
Cheering you on from Upstate NY! :cheergrl:

#18 ·
One of my friends does cakes on the side and he has a PT job at Michaels mostly for the employee discount on the cake supplies.

Hope things go as well as they can for you!

#25 ·
You all are so amazing. I wish I could hug you all right now!

Unforunitally in NJ you cannot make anything food wise you want to sell in your home. In WV I could, but not here in NJ. Its a bummer :(

Micheals!!! GREAT IDEA!!! ::runs to apply::

Ashley,
I am having a party for my daughter's graduation and I need a cake. Also if you are interested I could use some help getting ready for it. Things around the house and what not. Send me a personal message if you are interested. I can pick you up and bring you home too.:cheergrl:
You are really so wonderful. Really.

#19 ·
Ashley...I know you don't want us to be blasting positive rays of sunshine up yer butt when you wanna be sad about this but that's what we do here...encourage each other :) I know you'll find something bigger and better then the chain groc store you worked for....I suggest perhaps expanding your skill set and learning new skills so you can combine them all to be super duper :) Expand your portfolio and as others said - join cake forums/msg boards and advertise yourself and post your pics. Others will want you to make their cakes for them and who knows....a side business could take off very quickly! ;)

#21 ·
You have gotten some great advice! I just want to say don't be too hard on yourself. Over the years I've heard things about certain jobs, and almost always bakery and deli jobs ( especially in grocery stores) have a bad reputation.

They seem to be like a good old boys' club. Very hard to make the grade with all the cattiness that goes on.

With graduations coming up, perhaps you can put some ads out there.

#23 ·
Hang in there, Ashley and don't give up on yourself. Keep looking for your dream job, but right now - any job will do. You can still keep looking for cake decorating even if you do a stint in some other position for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.