Frugal Village Forums banner

Now it's our turn...

Tags
turn
5K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
Our worst fear has come true:

The warehouse that DH works for is (with a 99% probability) closing in October.

The lease is up on the building and DH's boss believes that the warehouse will be gone at that time. This worries both of us because he's been with this company for years and we've gotten pretty ingrained with Calgary. Our lives basically started here.

With the possibility of unemployment up ahead, I'm not certain how prepared we are for this. We've been pretty frugal for a while, but not to the extreme that a lot of people are. We also don't know for sure what's going to happen with DH's position. I've asked him where he could possibly go that has the same setup that they do now and he's stated that Vancouver is on the table. I asked him about Edmonton, but he's not sure about that now.

I think he's pretty bummed out and I'm not sure how to help him.

I've been in the unemployment scenario before and it wasn't pretty. I pounded the pavement every day, looking for work, and then had a job that lasted three weeks. That's what led us to moving out here.

I really don't know how to prepare for something that may or may not happen. I know DH doesn't want us to be in a financial bind, but I'm looking at the possibility of that coming to life. Sure, I can start stockpiling now but when we may need the money the most? I'm not certain I want to do that.

On top of that, we also have some possible dental work that DS11 would have to undergo. The dentist referred him to an orthodontist because some of his teeth are growing back into the bone in his jaw and a few others aren't coming up all of the way. We won't know until the end of July what that's going to cost us. So there's another uncertainty we're facing.

October is a really, really bad month for us as well. The kids have school fees that are paid for throughout September and there's birthdays. We've already scaled back for the both of them, plus we may be looking at a slim Christmas. I can't exactly claim financial hardship if I don't know what kind we're looking at being in at that time.

So what do I do? I can't just sit on my thumbs and spin. I can't wait. I know we can cut out cable and reduce the grocery budget, but we can't sell the house and stay in Calgary. The rent for an apartment is twice or more of what we pay now. Do we start looking for possible places in Vancouver and Edmonton to buy a house in case DH is transferred?

I'm so stuck. It's making me sick to my stomach. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
I am sorry you are going through this. I know that here in Ontario that alot of health units have dental programs for children for parents who can't afford the dentist for their children. You may want to check into that.
Does your husband know for sure that he will be transferred? If not I would have him start looking for another job now. Or August at the latest. The worst that could happen is he could get an interview they say no, or they say yes and you end up transferred. I would see if maybe your husband could get a better idea if he was going to be transferred and where.
I would cut the cable etc. you can always get it back if your situation looks up.
I know it is hard. My husband wasn't given any noticed when he was layed off. He came home from work and said they had laid him off. He was unemployed for 7 months. We ended up losing everything. I hope that things work out for you.

#3 ·
Nah he's not exactly sure if he's staying with the company or not. He does know that when the lease expires and they get rid of the Calgary branch, everyone in the building will lose their job. He told me that Vancouver's really expensive compared to Calgary, and that he's not really sure he wants to live out that way.

I asked if he's had any more phone calls wondering if he's looking for work. He had that happen a while ago. He told me that it hasn't happened.

I asked him if he knows of anywheres that he can use the skills he has and he said, "Nah, not really.". He likes the warehouse he's in now because it's small and no one really bothers them. I think he'd be hard-pressed to find something like that here again.

He's not sure about anything and that's what's bothering him. His manager is sending out letters to their customers at the end of the month, so he'll know more then. Who knows? Maybe we'll win Lotto Max tonight and he won't have to worry about that anymore. :D

#5 ·
Sorry this is happening to you. The thing of uncertainty sucks.

I would do some research, just in case, but wouldn't make any 'rash moves' until you know more. check out the Edmonton and Van. areas so you will know what you are up against when/if it comes to that.

cut back all that you can now........in preparation......and let the children know what you are comfy with telling them....also preparing them.........

Take a deep breath........and see if you can get a feel for what your DH would like to do..........he is probably pretty devastated too.

:hug2:

#6 ·
rough waters potentially ahead - start gearing up now - do all that you can do to save money now. May not be easy- but you can do it!!

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys
#7 ·
Just to let you know....Vancouver is beautiful!!! Try not to worry....I know....easy for me to say.....but...I have found many times that the things I worry about most, workout better than I ever thought they would and I spent alot of needless time stressing about them. These are tough times we are living in, no doubt, but they are also a time for great personal growth. It's times like these that we find out what we are made of.

#8 ·
The unknown was the worst for us when we were waiting to see what would happen with DH's job. We started looking at everything we spent money on. We looked at all of our resources and found out how to access them. We saved every extra penny we could. We have just finished the second week of DH not being employed. He has been networking with people he has worked with in the past and is exploring every possible job that he can use his experience in. I have to say that there are definate worries but once we finally found out that the day had come and he was laid off was kind of a relief. The waiting and the unknown were over and we finally knew what was ahead. Just plan the best you can, have an open mind and look at all opportunities that may come your way over the next several months. If you save extra, pay off a bill or stockpile it will definately not hurt you if in the end he still is employed in October, you will just be that much further ahead. Please keep us up to date. Your family will be in my prayers.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear this MTTB - have all the home improvement/gardening projects stopped and any extra cash flow gone into a savings acct? I agree with cutting back the most and saving up as much cash as possible. Save up for DS's dental work and Oct school fees now. Explain to the boys that this year things are 'tight' and you're cutting back now vs having to scrounge for things later - and bdays and xmas will be more on spending quality time together then gifts. Prepping them now could be a godsend later on - can you make a game of it? Also if possible, start a stockpile but only of the bare basics you know will be eaten and accepted well vs eaten b/c thats the only thing in the stockpile, kwim?

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. :)

I've started tucking all of my extra cash into savings. I have gift cards for the kids' clothing when it comes up in August and the money in savings will be for their birthdays. This summer's an emphasis on what we have and not what we can have. Our home improvement budget's basically on hold; the only thing we have left to spend money on is the fence paint and that was given to us by MIL for DH's birthday.

We asked DS6 what he wants to do this summer and he told me that going to the park and playing with his friends is fine. He also wants to go fishing. I think we can handle that. :)

We cut out eating out and leftovers are on the menu until we find out for sure what's going on. The uncertainty really does suck and all of this after we started paying back the inlaws again (we're six months into it and it's on automatic withdrawal). The menu will have a lot of sale meats and pastas in it. I might even revamp the beefy mac n cheese (even though DS6 hates it, he'll learn to love it) as a nightly staple.

I think we'll be able to adjust.

I had started looking at Edmonton and the surrounding area before and would love to be there. I've never ever been to Vancouver, so I'd have to really check that out.

#13 ·
Mantra "I am in control" - and go from there.

Do you have a garden?

Check out your menus - meat is not the only protein.

Hope you post often - for support for you and for learning for the rest of us.

Hugs and aloha to you and your family!!

#14 ·
We have a berry garden and that'll help out a little. I started going through the books that I had for meals that took very few ingredients, but were still healthy. I think I have enough for a week's worth of meals (to include leftovers) if things go sour.

We're trying really hard not to get discouraged. DH doesn't really feel the urge to try since he knows what's going to happen. I'm gonna be supportive the best that I can. :)

#15 ·
I am so sorry to hear this.....

it seems to be happenning alot lately... I was suppose to work 25 hours last week but was only given 10.... i was given a contract for 25 hours each week for the summmer however one child did not have all the papers in so he was not able to start last week... i do not believe his paperwork is in now so next week will be another 10 hour week.... dh is not able to work so....we are just holding on by our boot straps.....so you are in good company... i will continue to read your post and look for ideas that you have found to work....

Take care....

#16 ·
DH and I had a talk last night about things. He's not afraid of not having a job come October, while I am absolutely frightened and I told him that. I asked him about being a CSR with Pason (which is what he's doing now) fulltime and he said it's an option. I asked him about recommending Dometic being moved to Edmonton and having him head that up there. He said that's also an option. Then he gave me the whole 'go into business for myself and become a third-party logistics administrator for Dometic' and that sort of scared me. I asked him if he'd looked into the start-up costs. He said for about $10k, he'd be able to do it. Renting a warehouse space would be about $120k a year, while the contract is worth $330k a year. Now, I wouldn't mind him going into business for himself, but I made him realize that the economy's really unstable right now and that it may or may not work.

Once Dometic makes up their mind what they would like to do, and once Mike's boss finds out what everyone else wants to do, then we'll have a more concrete set of plans to go by.

We talked about Vancouver. We talked about Edmonton. It was a good talk.

I'm still going to come up with Plan A, B, C and D and see which one is more viable for us as a family to go with.

#17 ·
Vancouver may be pretty, but it is ranked the most unaffordable city in the entire world to live. Personally, I would not even be considering it.

I agree with the stockpiling cash at this point. I know a lot of people think you should be stocking up on food when you are facing unemployment, but the last thing you want is to have your money tied up in food and then decide to move.

#18 ·
Yeah I saw the home prices. They're outrageous. I even checked out Richmond and surrounding areas and still, it's disgustingly expensive.

I'd really like to put Spruce Grove/Edmonton on the table for a second option if nothing in Calgary pans out. I'm already planning for the house to be sold if that's the case, which means we'd have to app for a HELOC to fix up even the little stuff that'll get the house sold.

#21 ·
I'm just concerned about the stuff below what can be painted and spruced up. The roof's in dire need of repair and the furnace will need to be replaced soon. There are items in the house that would affect the sale if they aren't replaced. I know if we ask a realtor to take a look, he/she is going to tell us the same thing. If it was as simple as painting the walls and replacing the trim, I wouldn't be so concerned.

#23 ·
It would have to be wherever the best autism program for school is at that's close to Vancouver. Even 45 minutes out, stuff's pretty expensive.

DH had another talk with his boss today; he told him that he doesn't want to be transferred to Vancouver. That option's officially off the table.

So I told him in the van, on our way back from DS11's parent conference, that the suggestion has been made to do the HELOC now while he has a job. We'll fix the bare minimums and then if we have to sell come October, that's what we'll do. He then told me he has 5 weeks of vacation that needs to be used up before August. Why? His boss is moving permanently to Vancouver. What does that make DH? The DCM of Calgary's division of K&N for two months. He wouldn't be able to take that vacation time from August to October. Ironically, there's also five weeks left between now and August 1st.

I mentioned to DH that I started looking at housing options if the warehouse closes. He then told me that his boss is really surprised that K&N would chose to close the warehouse in Calgary, given that Edmonton would be the only division left in Alberta and one of two left in Western Canada to operate out of. There's also still that 1% chance that the warehouse might not close at all, in which case DH would still have a job but he's not certain if he'd be the DCM past October.

So we are closer to a decision, but further away until we know for certain what the fate of the warehouse really is. I started looking at housing and figuring out what we'd be doing in the next three months to be prepared. I'm just hopeful that everything works out for the best.

#24 ·
So another update:

Airfreight is definitely moving out of the warehouse effective July 1st. Therefore, one of the major items that DH was working on is not going to be with them anymore come next week. Dometic is being given the chance to decide for themselves on where they want to go.

There are no job openings with K&N in Edmonton UNLESS Dometic goes there. If it does, DH can ask for a transfer to head that up. We won't know that until next week.

If he stays here, he can be in the front office of the Calgary division. If not, he'd be laid off.

So for the time being, there's a good chance we'll stay in Calgary. Once next week comes, we'll have a better idea of what's going on.

#25 ·
So there's a big meeting with Dometic tomorrow. They have one of two options:

Operate out of a smaller warehouse in Calgary (which DH would be in charge of)
Move to Edmonton (which means DH would transfer)

We'll find out more this week, but this could potentially be a big step in either the small business direction or the move direction.

#26 ·
Another update:

DH's boss finally spoke to someone with Dometic. It looks like the move to Edmonton is on the table for now. Once we know for sure if it is or not, we'll start planning the move. DH wants to go because well, besides school for the kids there really isn't anything holding us here.

We've started looking for houses and picking out ones that we want to go look at. I found a couple that are extremely cute that I'd be willing to view in person. This also means that we'd have to do the HELOC to fix the minimal stuff, then find a realtor to sell the house for us.

I'm planning all of this now because if I wait too long, I'll stress myself into the hospital over it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.