Frugal Village Forums banner

It has come to an end...

6K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  roxygirl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a few questions and was hoping that if I threw them out there I might get some insight from some of you.

I lost my job Feb of 09. I have been unemployment since then. I have spent every day, including saturdays looking for a job. I have submitted roughly 10 resumes and applications a day for the last year and a half. I have had 3 interviews. No job offers. I am really not used to this, I'm in my mid 20's... and every job I've ever had I was offered on my 1st interview. I've never been out of a job more than 2 months.. So it has been a lot of adjusting.

Last week was my last full payment of unemployment. I have about 45% of my weekly benefit amount due this thursday and then it is done. No more unemployment. I slightly freaking out.

DBF and I seriously downsized last May after we both lost our jobs. We moved in with my dad for 3 months until DBF found a part time job. He still has this part time job. Friday and Saturday night as a janitor for a local charity group. Not decent pay but it has helped keep a roof over our head. He has applied for just as many or more jobs than I have. He's had a few interviews, nothing seems promising. He does donate plasma twice a week which has really helped the budget. So our only income at this point is his part time job, and donating plasma. I would donate plasma but they can not find a vein to poke... GRR!

Our cell phones got turned off today, for non-payment. There is just no way we can keep them on right now. I signed up for a free phone message service from K7. When someone calls the number, it sends the voice mail to my email. I changed my resume this morning to reflect that new number. This was our only **non 4 walls** bill.

So now you have a little background, my question is do you have any creative ways to earn some income?

I am having another garage sale this weekend. Anything that isn't nailed down is being sold.

We have listed big ticket items on craigslist.

I have found a few online income sources. mturk, mystery shopping, surveys. Do you have any other ideas where I can make some money?

We have a considerable stockpile, I haven't grocery shopped since before Christmas.. so food isn't an issue. I already make everything from scratch.. well mostly everything.. I haven't made noodles yet but I have a few more food storage cans of those..

So I need some ideas of where to cut back, earn some money, generally just get by. I've cut back in every way I can think of and find on here to cut back..

I have been searching old archives on FV for new ideas of ways to save money, earn money.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you recieving food stamps?

I don't know where in ID you are, but here, nearly every cleaning and lawn service co. is hiring. Seems like people will still pay for those things. Hotel services are usually hiring also...nursing homes (laundry, you don't have to be a CNA) and seasonal (harvest) jobs in ID are usually good options.

You don't mention what your skills are.....have you considered school loans and getting a degree in a good field? A friend of mine here was flat broke and went to school to be an xray tech. I just saw her at the hospital last week and she said it's the best thing she ever did....they are back on track and doing okay. She went back to school with two little kids and her dh was unemployed....they managed somehow!

#12 ·
Are you recieving food stamps?
DBF went down and submitted our paperwork today. So we shall see.

I don't know where in ID you are, but here, nearly every cleaning and lawn service co. is hiring. Seems like people will still pay for those things. Hotel services are usually hiring also...nursing homes (laundry, you don't have to be a CNA) and seasonal (harvest) jobs in ID are usually good options.

You don't mention what your skills are.....have you considered school loans and getting a degree in a good field? A friend of mine here was flat broke and went to school to be an xray tech. I just saw her at the hospital last week and she said it's the best thing she ever did....they are back on track and doing okay. She went back to school with two little kids and her dh was unemployed....they managed somehow!

I didn't saw this but I have applied for every single job I come across. Whether I am qualified or not. I have worked retail, office manager and as a facilities coordinator. I have thought about going back to school, but I have a lot of student loans. I went to a "scam" college for 6 months. They lied to me and said that all credits would transfer and they wouldn't.. so I left, and am stuck with the student loans.
Have you signed up to be a mystery shopper? Do points programs and surveys for cash? Might not be a lot of money, but every $ counts.

yes, I mentioned that in my first post, but I found a few more trust worthy sites and signed up yesterday. I am waiting to hear if I am accepted.

Recycle aluminum cans for cash?

I have asked family members who buy them to keep them for me.

Take in some babysitting jobs? I'm an RN and used to take "sick" kids when they couldn't go to the daycare or school, but weren't severely sick. . . .

This is one of the ads I've posted on craigslist, I dislike children, but i'd do it right now.

Do you have a skill you could teach for $$? My kids all dance/tumble. When my boys were in HS, they'd hire themselves out for birthday parties - they'd decorate, entertain/teach, and clean up afterward. . . the parents provided the decorations, food, etc.

I posted an ad like this on craigslist a few weeks ago for my photoshop, graphic design skills. I have bumped it up, but like the rest.. nothing
Also...check the *gigs* section on Craigslist for one time temp jobs. I've earned some extra cash doing people's laundry and organizing!

I found this section for the first time the other day in fact! there was one ad.. I emailed him, haven't heard anything but what an AWESOME section!!
Can you get coupons from the recycle community bins and buy/get items free to sell at your G.sales. Scrap metal pays some. Can you start a Gofer job where you run errands for people?

I've thought about how to get these from our recycle bins... they are the big 20 feet dumpsters with the 1 foot by 1 foot hole to dump your stuff into.. I've been trying to figure out how to get stuff out of them haha..
When Dh lost his job and retrained I tutored, babysat and gardened for others.

hmm.. I hadn't thought of gardening! that is a wonderful idea.. I'll post for that on craigslist tonight! thank you :)
thank you all for your suggestions, your awesome!

#3 ·
Have you signed up to be a mystery shopper? Do points programs and surveys for cash? Might not be a lot of money, but every $ counts.

Recycle aluminum cans for cash?

Take in some babysitting jobs? I'm an RN and used to take "sick" kids when they couldn't go to the daycare or school, but weren't severely sick. . . .

Do you have a skill you could teach for $$? My kids all dance/tumble. When my boys were in HS, they'd hire themselves out for birthday parties - they'd decorate, entertain/teach, and clean up afterward. . . the parents provided the decorations, food, etc.

#7 ·
When Dh lost his job and retrained I tutored, babysat and gardened for others.

Reactions: chevy_chick95
#8 ·
Won't immediately help with income, but would WIA money from unemployment help get you some classes that would help you get a job? If you don't have a bachelors degree, Pell grants should cover a state school (assuming you're in US). If you have a bachelors, look into grad school programs that offer a stipend for TA / RA. Just convince yourself you want to learn more so you don't say, "Yeah, I'm unemployed and broke and figured what the heck, I'll go back to school." at the interview.

Apply for public assistance if survival is an issue.

#13 ·
Won't immediately help with income, but would WIA money from unemployment help get you some classes that would help you get a job?

I've never heard of this? can you explain?

If you don't have a bachelors degree, Pell grants should cover a state school (assuming you're in US). If you have a bachelors, look into grad school programs that offer a stipend for TA / RA. Just convince yourself you want to learn more so you don't say, "Yeah, I'm unemployed and broke and figured what the heck, I'll go back to school." at the interview.

I haven't looked into going back to school too seriously as I explained in the above post.. never thought of pell grants. I'll go look into that :) thank you

Apply for public assistance if survival is an issue.
If you know your way really well around a kitchen you can put an ad in the paper/craigslist for a family cook. Not everyone's broke out there and there are those that will pay to have a home cooked meal. My MIL cooked supper for a wealthy family for years. The woman set out the recipes she wanted cooked and my MIl let herself in and had supper on the table for them every night.

great idea! I'll post an ad on all the local classifieds. thank you!
Can you move back in with your Dad?

unfortunately this is not an option. the reason we moved out so quickly last summer (we were only there 2 1/2 months) was because I caught him using drugs.

Sending you a big hug and a high five for trying so hard to find a job. Hang in & I'm cheering you on, better times will be coming for you soon. :cheergrl:

Thank you
I hope things improve for you soon!

Do you belong to MyPoints or PineCone? It's not much but every little bit helps!

I do. and I click everyone single on of those emails!! thank you :)

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of your input.

#9 ·
If you know your way really well around a kitchen you can put an ad in the paper/craigslist for a family cook. Not everyone's broke out there and there are those that will pay to have a home cooked meal. My MIL cooked supper for a wealthy family for years. The woman set out the recipes she wanted cooked and my MIl let herself in and had supper on the table for them every night.

#10 ·
Can you move back in with your Dad?
Sending you a big hug and a high five for trying so hard to find a job. Hang in & I'm cheering you on, better times will be coming for you soon. :cheergrl:

#15 ·
I don't know what survey sites you have signed up for but Vocalpoint seems to add up to a check for me fast.

Do you garage sale? I know someone that makes about 800 a month by buying thing dirt cheap at yard sales and reselling on craigs list and ebay.

Crossing everything I got that things get easier for you soon!

#16 ·
While I have nothing against surveys and mypoints, and garage sales (I do them all), these are not ways of getting the cash you need. And they use up too much time for too little return. I suggest channeling your focus onto jobs. Keep applying for jobs or create a job, such as landscaping, gardening, babysitting, cook, etc (as many have given advice). I also second the idea of going back to school. Sometimes that will open up an on-campus job.

#17 ·
idaho - land of mormons.

can you turn to the lds schurch for their employment services. they also have amazing welfare services where you can work for food.

#18 ·
Don't really have anything to add. I've been jobless the same amount of time as you. Mine ends very soon.

One thing you didn't mention was waitressing. Or heck, even a McDonalds. With them it's a go back and see every 3-4 days. Better than nothing. Might open doors too. I went from Walmart to the Sheriffs Dept because of a deputy coming in several times a week on midnights to get snacks. Talked me into applying..

That's one...Dispatch..fire, police, Sheriffs Dept. Dosen't hurt to apply.

#21 ·
I appreciate all of the ideas.

I have applied for every single job within a 100 mile radius of where I live.

waitress
nuclear power plant
mcdonalds
office work

all of it. I am sending my application everywhere. Even If I'm not qualified. There isn't one job in the paper, indeed.com, monster, career builders, etc. that I haven't applied for. I am praying I hear from someone, anyone.. There were about 10 new jobs this morning to apply for.. so I did that this morning and am now signing up for some mystery shops. I'm not really sure what else to do.

Bills are coming due, and I'm beginning to panic. but I'll keep praying and keep my chin up.. something has to pan out right?

Thank you all :D

Reactions: Mrs K
#22 ·
Can you get WIA money for a HAZWOPER class (can be done online)? This is listed as needed for many entry level nuclear jobs.

#26 ·
Hi all! a little update. nothing much happening, I am still applying for every single job available in my area. doesn't matter if I'm qualified or not. I've had 1 interview.. I hope it pans out.

I have sold 90% of everything I own. I'm selling the last of it as well. I just have to wait until a few more things sell so I can get into my storage shed and empty it out and sell it.

DBF part time job is what is keeping us almost ok. It is about $300 a month. and I am so thankful for this job.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the great advice, I truly appreciate it :)

#27 ·
Hugs! I am pretty much going through a similar situation, but I am able to live at home with my dad and husband and my hubby has a job. While its not a great one, its still a job. We were like this close to loosing his car and car insurance and really were struggling with money for food and clothes and such and I hear ya when you say you have applied EVERYWHERE. I have to. Seriously.

I saw you said you dislike kids, but if you go on craigslist you really may be able to find a babysitting job. I am going to be working about 49 hours a week for $300 and I know its not a lot, but its money ya know! I am getting paid between $5-$7 an hour depending on the family and that is the key to getting the job. Most babysitters want $10 an hour, and no one can afford that anymore.

You can go to craigslist and then childcare (you have to search hard though because 75% of them are people who are saying they provide childcare) and then also go to gigs, and domestic gigs.

I hope this helps you!!!

#29 ·
I have been searching those the past few days. I haven't seen one. But I did post and ad that I can provide child care. So I sure hope something happens :)

Thank you for the advice, every little bit helps

I have delved quite deeply into mystery shopping. I find BBB business's on the MSPA website and do shops from there. Most pay once a month so the middle of next month should be pretty lucrative! I enjoy it, and it is some great money if you combine ones in certain areas and do them all together.

#28 ·
In such circumstances it is easy to see why some people are tempted to turn to doorstep lenders or unregulated loans. But often this simply makes a bad situation worse, burdening borrowers with unmanageable interest rates of 200% APR or more and taking money out of the local economy when it could be supporting local businesses and jobs. Affordable loans can make all the difference to individuals, their households and their communities.

#30 ·
Glad you found something - the mystery shopping is interesting and helps pay bills!! Good luck with child care - hope you learn to love it!! Please keep us in the loop!!

#31 ·
You must live in a very small town.I live in a small town of less then 1500 and not much hiring going on here. But we can drive 20 minutes to 1 city and 40 minutes to another larger city.They are always hiring for fast food.Hope you find something soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.