Pretty much feel like I am out of options. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

that's great news!

Don't be too glum with your dad. Men relate differently to stress than women - and he's right, you aren't the only one out there going through this. My guess is he's just trying to make you stronger -

I think you should keep talking to him, just make sure you share positive thoughts as well -

and I agree with him about Walmart. It's alright to stop doing one job in order to take a better job. Just make sure you give the $5/family notice - don't just quit, give her a few weeks notice to find a new babysitter/cleaner. OR tell her you'd still like to help her depending on what your schedule may be -

There is always a professional way to handle a situation. Keep in mind, she's not your friend, she's an employer. Treat her as such.

Good luck with Walmart. Keep in mind, they start out with p/t hours, so don't count your chickens before they hatch. (i love that saying) :giggle:
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Banks Sasha Max Lilly Charlie Chianti Jasper Marty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugallady2010 View Post
    Maybe I missed something here, but please tell me how you don't qualify for Unemployment just because your husband makes too much money? Your being able to qualify for unemployment has nothing to do with the total family income that is brought into the household.
    I cannot get it because I was not at my last job long enough during their qualifying dates

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad things are looking up for you!!

Cheering you on and sending you hugs!!
    Kace - married to Dh 13 years

Love to

Full-time homemaker, full-time college student. Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

great idea to keep babysitting job as a second job if you are lucky enough to get the job at walmart! sending goodluck your way....if the $5/hr lady can use you once or twice a week for a few hrs at a time, that would be very helpful! good luck to you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks all! Just got back with my meeting for the overnight job and she told me I am in Its wed, thursday and friday from 10pm-7am and he is the cutest 2 week old ever I thought he was 2 months old but he is 2 weeks old! I am excited. The parents will be home. The whole reason they are looking for my help is because he keeps them up all night (most babys do that...but anyway!) so she needs me to watch him.

Between these 2 jobs, I will be bringing home about $300 a week which is almost what I was bringing home when I was working as a cake decorator so its definitely good news! Thanks everyone for all your support!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With all of these little jobs, being on top of your schedule will be critical. If you don't already, invest in some sort of calendar system and use it so that you don't end up at the wrong place at the wrong time and end up late to the right place. Remember, USE THE CALENDAR!!

Glad to see you're making things happen - it may not be ideal, but survival comes first. After survival, one can then begin to amass wealth and power to eventually take over the world, mwahaha.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post
    Then I think I told a few of you? about this babysitting job for Tuesdays for 9 hours, and $8 an hour which would of been great news. I would not of been able to babysit for the $5 an hour lady-I would of had to tell her I can't work Tuesdays anymore because this other lady was gonna pay me like $70 and thats a lot more than the $20 for the $5 lady. So I met with her yesterday to find out her one son has some developmental issues, which is totally fine with me but I have never baby sat a kiddo with something like this so I was no expecting it, but I am okay with it like I said. She said okay I want to do a test run on Tuesday so I said okay! And she said how about I e-mail you or text you the time to come over and I said sure, and I have not heard from her, but hopefully I do!
    Whew!!! She just called and I was getting so worried because its been 4 days since I have not heard from her! She just called and asked me if I could watch the kiddos TODAY and pay me TODAY for like 3 hours so that her and her hubby can go spend time together! I said sure!!! Then she also said I can practice nap time with them, so if I am able to get them down for nap this will be a pretty easy $24 bucks!!!

Thanks all! Just got back with my meeting for the overnight job and she told me I am in Its wed, thursday and friday from 10pm-7am and he is the cutest 2 week old ever I thought he was 2 months old but he is 2 weeks old! I am excited. The parents will be home. The whole reason they are looking for my help is because he keeps them up all night (most babys do that...but anyway!) so she needs me to watch him.
    I have not heard from her and I am getting nervous because this is going to be $200 worth of my weekly pay...so I really really really hope she gets back to me!!! She said she will prolly want me to start Wednesday so there is still time, and I did just meet with her on Thursday, but I really hope she calls!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, the other lady called today to!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On a personal not. I have heard from several people that i have worked for ( managers) said the thing they hate the most is to get a phone call from someone asking if they are hiring 9 out of 10 times they will tell them NO. My last boss said if they can't walk in and get a application ,then how are there work ethics. So i would try your best to walk,have someone take you or work around hubs work schedule to apply for jobs.
    I will keep you in prayer. I know its hard.Some places require you to have children living at home to get help. Sad really.But the department of welfare and ask them where in your area is a food pantry and clothing closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nana2two View Post
    On a personal not. I have heard from several people that i have worked for ( managers) said the thing they hate the most is to get a phone call from someone asking if they are hiring 9 out of 10 times they will tell them NO. My last boss said if they can't walk in and get a application ,then how are there work ethics. So i would try your best to walk,have someone take you or work around hubs work schedule to apply for jobs.
    I will keep you in prayer. I know its hard.Some places require you to have children living at home to get help. Sad really.But the department of welfare and ask them where in your area is a food pantry and clothing closet.
    I just have to disagree with this one. I think when the economy was better yes, this was very true, but have you seen these applications? First, they are all online now. Maybe 10% of these jobs have in store applications which is rediculas, and second most of these applications have these 'tests' on them which are about 45 minutes to an hour long. So say I applied to 50 jobs, thats about 50 hours just for those 50 jobs filling out an application, maybe longer.

And also, I did apply, apply, and apply some more before I said enough, and just decided to call.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I too am busy filling out those online applications with the "tests". But I haven't yet found one that took more then 15 mintues to fill out. 9 times out of 10 it's the same questions and their simple to answer. I breeze through them. But that's just me. Everyone is different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The ones I have taken called uni or something was like 32 pages worth of stupid stupid questions. Ugh, I HATE THEM!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked for walgreens for 4 years 99 through 03. They had the computers then.Most stores now will tell you if you do call "NO they are not hiring or go online and fill a application out. When i got hired at several places like retail . Alaways had to make a application then take that long freaking test. After me being there for a year i was department manager so i started having to give those test.It was only 25 minute test out of 10 people taking the test on the computer 8 walked out 15 minutes.If they can't handle 25 minutes test then personally that tells me they won't be able to handle a 8 hour day. I think the test taking is great it does weed out the ones that really dont want to work. It keeps a log of the names, so even if you go another walgreens and they want you. You type in your name and where ever you left off at the other store will be started again.Most retail is getting this way. Walmarts been this way since the 90's. We have a new HY-vee and you have to apply online, they call you have to go in and fill a application, then if they like you then its a 45 minute test and a 30 info application. So i do think is a great idea. But does make it hard if your in a area and stuff is spaced apart. Or no car,bus.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cannot get it because I was not at my last job long enough during their qualifying dates
    What about the job (s) before that? From what I know about unemployment they go back I think I remember it was 15 months and take into account ALL jobs during that time period you've had, not just the immediate past job. Check into that at your local Unemployment Offfice. Some people just getting onto unemployment find the whole ordeal to be confusing to say the least. A girl I know was insistent that she too was not at her last (immediate) job long enough. What she didn't know was that they look back at previous employers before that within that 15 month period. End result, she's getting unemployment now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just have to disagree with this one. I think when the economy was better yes, this was very true, but have you seen these applications? First, they are all online now. Maybe 10% of these jobs have in store applications which is rediculas, and second most of these applications have these 'tests' on them which are about 45 minutes to an hour long. So say I applied to 50 jobs, thats about 50 hours just for those 50 jobs filling out an application, maybe longer.

And also, I did apply, apply, and apply some more before I said enough, and just decided to call.
    Unfortunatley that is the way it is today. I've filled out my endless share of hour + long applications and I will continue to do so. I guess they figure if you really want the job you'll go to the trouble of filling out the application.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456