New here-really ready but really nervous - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome! This is a fantastic place to be and you will get lots of great advice. Great job on taking the first step at listing your debts and starting to get a handle on things. Post what you are comfortable posting. There are lots of great tips on budgeting, couponing, cooking, etc. here. Read as much as you can and take the pieces that will work for you. You can do it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

hi!

to overcome the bill paying anxiety, i adopted something the debtors anonymous people do. i set up an attractive, bill paying station in my kitchen. it gets a dedicated whole counter of its own. I have my file box, stamps, checks, envelopes, post it notes, pens, pencils, sharpener, stapler, and my ledger.

after i got things under control, i adopted the debtors anonymous method of "Pay today's bills today, In and Out in 24 Hours". no bill sets on the counter more then 24 hours. i usually pay it immediately upon getting the mail when i get home and then update the ledger. I mail it in the morning.

if you do this, you know exactly where you stand financially on a daily basis.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have bill paying anxiety. At one point I had $5000 in my bank account but my natural gas was about to be shut off. The only reason my electricity wasn't was because I would send them a check for $1000 and just let my positive balance slowly decline over the year. Opening the bill, writing the check, posting the envelope were the problem for me, it wasn't even an issue of having the money. (It's weird that now that I have far FAR less money than I did then, I no longer have this anxiety!!)

The way I fixed it was just telling somebody. In my case it was my mom. We went to the gym together and we were sitting on the floor after a workout stretching before going home and I just told her. I owed the gas company like $150. It was nothing. I just couldn't bring myself to pay it. I had the money. I just needed someone to listen and then I wrote the check and shortly thereafter moved every single account that I possibly could to automatic payment.

You can overcome the anxiety part. You're definitely not alone in that. I love ladykemma's suggestion about a bill paying station. I have a household notebook that I keep track of bills and other financial stuff (and a lot more besides) in and I am so OCD about updating the notebook that I now take care of everything immediately, just because I like the notebook to be perfect. Take advantage of whatever personality quirk you can to make it work for you!

And welcome to FV - I'm a newbie too, and this site is really welcoming and helpful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    hi!

to overcome the bill paying anxiety, i adopted something the debtors anonymous people do. i set up an attractive, bill paying station in my kitchen. it gets a dedicated whole counter of its own. I have my file box, stamps, checks, envelopes, post it notes, pens, pencils, sharpener, stapler, and my ledger.
    Hey..you have been holding out on us...I have not seen you post this idea before.. ....I love it!!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    Goal: Donate at least one third of all belongings before the end of the year. I have wwwaaayyy to much stuff!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome! I think many find the first step is the hardest to take....but seems like you've made a plan and are ready, nervous or not! As others said, a lot here have 'been there, done that', so you're not the first, and you've got lots of understanding company here. I think many find, over time, knowing/understanding your finances and working to change them is QUITE empowering...I hope you will find the same as you go.

Kill the mortgage! Goal: 12/2023 Left to go: $139,654.24Extra paid: 2012- $4408.03 2013-$5396.21+ $400 extra towards escrow
    2014-$3171.00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12