Frugal Village Forums banner

New here-really ready but really nervous

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  khaski 
#1 ·
I became an RN 11 years ago, swore my life would be different, and it is..........I have so much debt and no money sense. I have never had it. Doesn't make sense because I am pretty smart. My problems is my anxiety is so bad over finances that I can open an envelope but cannot look at the ink on the page. I just stack it in nice tidy pile. Well, I started a spreadsheet tonight after church. I know my situation is bad but I'm pretty sure it's not nearly as bad as the panic I feel when the phone rings. I have a lot of debt but most of it is student loans. I am ready to change my life and pay these long overdue bills off. I looked on my credit rating and saw debts of like 34.00 and 60.00 and I couldn't believe it. These are not bills I couldn't pay, these are just an area of my life I was so overwhelmed in that my credit score has suffered deeply.

#2 ·
It's ok you've come to the right place. There are a lot of wonderful people here who will give you great advice. You've taken the first step and that is a GREAT start. Everyone here will give you their tried and true best. My best is to read Dave Ramsey's book Financial Peace. It really changed the way I look at debt and how to attack it and get on the road to living and saving for the future. Best of luck! :welcome2:

#4 ·
Welcome to FV!! I am a newbie also!! This is a great a place for help.. No need to be nervous..

Great people, Great tips, etc.!!!

#7 ·
Welcome to Frugal Village.
Don't be afraid or nervous, we don't bite. We have had many folks in dire straights the past few years and guess what? They are still here, still working at debt and they are well supported by the folks here.
We don't judge but you may hear things that are truthful, kind and helpful.

If you're willing to post your budget, a lot of folks here are AWESOME at finding where you are wasting money and show where you can save.

Or you can also PM someone and do it privately. Again, welcome to Frugal Village and good luck on your debt free journey. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

#8 ·
Welcome to the Village. You have found a group of folks that have most likely been there, done that and are working toward a more stable financial future.

#10 ·
Welcome to the village! You have come to the right place for sure. With a bit more of you info there are plenty of people who can give you the direction you need to start getting your finances in order. You get this under control and you will not have to be afraid of the phone or what is inside of an envelope again.

Again welcome!

#11 ·
Hi and welcome! Don't be nervous...just jump right in, start reading and posting. Lot of super nice people here. All supportive and willing to help. Glad you found the site and you won't regret it.

#12 ·
Welcome :toothy:
There are so many people here who have been through so much financially and are in so many different levels related to finances. You will learn so much if you just hang around. Posting your budget will definitely give you alot of perspectives and GREAT advice. I know that it is scary but you can do it. And do not be surprised if some days you just feel like quitting. There were several days/months in which i felt like my finances mimicked a Country and Western down and out song. But then things slowly started changing....now I am almost out of debt. :va:

#13 ·
It's the plan that makes things different, not more income. Look at those Lotto winners that end up going bankrupt shortly after winning.

One of the nice things about being here is that we're all learning from each other. We are looking forward to learning from you while you learn from us. :)

#15 ·
Every days a new one. Past behavior isn't present. List those bills and get a plan going. people here have come thru financial fire storms and have paid some "I'm w/ stupid" bills too. We're all pretty nice and will be glad to help.
I have paid off over $80,000 worth of debt in the past 5 years and love to coupon. Everyone here can help in diff. ways.

#16 ·
Welcome! This is a fantastic place to be and you will get lots of great advice. Great job on taking the first step at listing your debts and starting to get a handle on things. Post what you are comfortable posting. There are lots of great tips on budgeting, couponing, cooking, etc. here. Read as much as you can and take the pieces that will work for you. You can do it!

#17 ·
hi!

to overcome the bill paying anxiety, i adopted something the debtors anonymous people do. i set up an attractive, bill paying station in my kitchen. it gets a dedicated whole counter of its own. I have my file box, stamps, checks, envelopes, post it notes, pens, pencils, sharpener, stapler, and my ledger.

after i got things under control, i adopted the debtors anonymous method of "Pay today's bills today, In and Out in 24 Hours". no bill sets on the counter more then 24 hours. i usually pay it immediately upon getting the mail when i get home and then update the ledger. I mail it in the morning.

if you do this, you know exactly where you stand financially on a daily basis.

#19 ·
hi!

to overcome the bill paying anxiety, i adopted something the debtors anonymous people do. i set up an attractive, bill paying station in my kitchen. it gets a dedicated whole counter of its own. I have my file box, stamps, checks, envelopes, post it notes, pens, pencils, sharpener, stapler, and my ledger.
Hey..you have been holding out on us...I have not seen you post this idea before.. ....I love it!!!:clap:

#18 ·
I used to have bill paying anxiety. At one point I had $5000 in my bank account but my natural gas was about to be shut off. The only reason my electricity wasn't was because I would send them a check for $1000 and just let my positive balance slowly decline over the year. Opening the bill, writing the check, posting the envelope were the problem for me, it wasn't even an issue of having the money. (It's weird that now that I have far FAR less money than I did then, I no longer have this anxiety!!)

The way I fixed it was just telling somebody. In my case it was my mom. We went to the gym together and we were sitting on the floor after a workout stretching before going home and I just told her. I owed the gas company like $150. It was nothing. I just couldn't bring myself to pay it. I had the money. I just needed someone to listen and then I wrote the check and shortly thereafter moved every single account that I possibly could to automatic payment.

You can overcome the anxiety part. You're definitely not alone in that. I love ladykemma's suggestion about a bill paying station. I have a household notebook that I keep track of bills and other financial stuff (and a lot more besides) in and I am so OCD about updating the notebook that I now take care of everything immediately, just because I like the notebook to be perfect. Take advantage of whatever personality quirk you can to make it work for you!

And welcome to FV - I'm a newbie too, and this site is really welcoming and helpful!

#20 ·
Welcome! I think many find the first step is the hardest to take....but seems like you've made a plan and are ready, nervous or not! As others said, a lot here have 'been there, done that', so you're not the first, and you've got lots of understanding company here. I think many find, over time, knowing/understanding your finances and working to change them is QUITE empowering...I hope you will find the same as you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.