Frugal Village Forums banner

Seeing a lawyer this afternoon about a marshal's notice

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
and I'm a wreck.....

Notice of Garnishment for a job I don't even have.....

This is a long saga about this one bill, so I'll try to keep it brief...

I just could have saved myself so much trouble and aggravation had I moved on it when my account was frozen in 2005 (released in 3 days because of my SSD)

Arranged a payment plan for a while and fell drastically behind on that.

Wish me luck - honestly all I see is darkness ahead of me. I'm taking steps - paid off one creditor in June and will be finished with another one at the end of October.

But there are so many more in line.....

And there's literally a mess of documents - I'm not even sure I owe as much as the marshal's notice says I do - I'm looking for the starting balance and the payments I made....

Once last thing - still perusing the forum in spare time - not sure if this is the place for these type of posts - if it isn't, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Pip

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm so tired....

met with the lawyer.....

There's nothing I can do about the notice of garnishment I received from the marshal (for a job I haven't been in since 2008)

It's $1,000 - it's something that I had started paying in installments than stopped.

She gave me the name and number for a free bankruptcy clinic - a route I really don't want to go, but may have to....

I was pretty emotional in her office - I truly do feel as if the walls are closing in around me and in a way they are...

To say I'm feeling broken is an understatement - it is the mess I created.....

She suggested that I at least contact the clinic - she said she didn't even know if I'd be a candidate for bankruptcy - said she was suggesting it only so that I might have some relief..

In the throes of this I'm moving - which was no small feat finding a place in a safe neighborhood given my financial constraints - it's a share which is fine. She said the most important thing is for me to have a roof over my head, food, clothing, the basics, (yes, my cat) and then she'll help me address the rest of it.

I'm worn to the core of my being....

#5 ·
its okay... i am there too...

i could break down and cry at any given moment....I keep telling myself as long as everyone is healthy we can make it and i know that i will make it.. I may not like the outcome however i will wake up in the morning and life will go on... i am so sorry that life seems to be giving you some hard blows...
met with the lawyer.....

There's nothing I can do about the notice of garnishment I received from the marshal (for a job I haven't been in since 2008)

It's $1,000 - it's something that I had started paying in installments than stopped.

She gave me the name and number for a free bankruptcy clinic - a route I really don't want to go, but may have to....

I was pretty emotional in her office - I truly do feel as if the walls are closing in around me and in a way they are...

To say I'm feeling broken is an understatement - it is the mess I created.....

She suggested that I at least contact the clinic - she said she didn't even know if I'd be a candidate for bankruptcy - said she was suggesting it only so that I might have some relief..

In the throes of this I'm moving - which was no small feat finding a place in a safe neighborhood given my financial constraints - it's a share which is fine. She said the most important thing is for me to have a roof over my head, food, clothing, the basics, (yes, my cat) and then she'll help me address the rest of it.

I'm worn to the core of my being....

Reactions: .28552
#4 ·
Been there. You can survive this. Go to the bankruptcy clinic. They may have other avenues of support or help, even if you don't file for bankruptcy.

Reactions: .28552
#6 ·
I don't understand what you were served with. Are they looking for back payment that wasn't garnished from your old job? How can they garnish a job you don't have? Could you explain it? I might just be misinterpreting what you wrote.

#7 ·
Hi everyone......

I am not currently working.

The Notice of Garnishment from the Marshal had a former employer's address on the notice.

Exactly - they can't garnish from a job I don't have..

I can't figure out how to post multiple quotes.....thanks so much to everyone for their hugs and support.....

#10 ·
Is OP still around? What happened? Did you go to the clinic????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.