Frugal Village Forums banner

Catching up is hard to do

Tags
catching hard
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jellybeanz 
#1 ·
So, earlier this year, in April my husband who is now 40, had some worsening of his congestive heart failure and had to be hospitalized for an extended period of time. His heart was really weak and he had struggled with heart failure for several years. While hospitalized, the doctors said that his heart was quitting and he was going into other organ failure as well. Our only hope was a LVAD, also known as a mechanical heart. This would keep him alive long enough to wait for a heart transplant. So, obviously, we made the decision to have the mechanical heart implanted. After all was said and done, he spent a total of 6 weeks in the hospital. During this time, I was not working as I am his caregiver and health care advocate and needed to be present with him pretty much all of the time. Factor in the fact that we have 4 children, 2 of which are teenagers, 1 is a pre-teen and the last is 8 and autistic; I needed to focus all of my energy on my family. Well, thank goodness everything worked out well, but now...the financial reprocussions of missing 6 weeks of work have caught up with us. We are behind on everything but I have instituted a new budget, started reading TMMO by Dave Ramsey and am using every piece of knowledge I can get my hands on from this board to try and dig out. I have a fresh perspective on debt and money and never want to be in this position again.

#2 ·
God bless you and your family. Glad you have joined us here at the Village. I am guessing that your work held your job for you as you tended to your dh and family through his hospital stay. What kind of work are you in?

I could not imagine the stress and pressure that you are under to keep everything going. I hope that you and dh have a wonderful strong support network around you.

Hope that we here on the forum can add to it to encourage you both through this time.

Reactions: sjohnson3278
#3 ·
First, I wish your family especially your husband the best.

This website is a good place to focus learning on. We were in a really bad place also and I practically lived on here. You'll learn tons and there are alot of old threads you can learn from also. When I first came on I went back almost a year. But then again, I didn't have anything else really to do...unemployed...no money...no TV...I lived here. Lot of wonderful people. Read everything you can.

Reactions: sjohnson3278
#4 ·
Thanks, everyone. My employer did hold my job for me-I work in the telecommunications business doing sales, accounts receivable, customer service and basically anything that needs to be done.

I am on this site every available second of every day trying to take in and learn as much as I can. I am really motivated and all of the posts I read on here encourage me to keep pushing forward. All of you and your posts really inspire me.

#5 ·
I think one of the best ways of dealing with financial pressures is to have a game plan. Once you have a budget set try to stick with it. You may need to do some adjusting but stay in the mindset that you have a goal.

I would also see if the hospital has any type of help with doctors bills. Sometimes there is assitance depending on your health coverage and financial need.

It does sound as if you have your hands full. Remind yourself that many of the people on this site has been in the same or similar situation that you are in.

#7 ·
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I have read before that in every crisis there is blessing, I hope your blessing shows up soon :)

Your story could happen to anyone ... literally. It reminds me again how important it is to have some money saved. Even at that, it really just depends on the kind of health crisis and how long it goes on, but it's better than starting out with nothing.

I can't imagine how many families are devastated each year due to health issues that come up.

That old saying "Health is wealth" .. well I'm finding how as I get older just how TRUE that statement is.

Because wealth isn't just having enough money, but it's also having your spouse around, your kids, your family... wealth and prosperity have taken on new meanings for me in the last years.

Everytime I read another person's "story" they are going thru as you are, it reminds me of just how precious it is to have your loved ones around you and know they are are okay in the moment and have their health.

Anything can be overcome or dealt with. Loved ones are irreplaceable !!!

Take care and btw, you should be proud of yourself for coping with a very difficult situation!

All the best to you and your family ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.