Frugal Village Forums banner

Anyone know roughly how long to get life incurance pay out after claim?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  fernykins 
#1 ·
My MIL passed away in July, her $5k life insurance policy covered her final expenses with leftover to boot. My SIL is the beneficiary.....my husband and I paid for her urn and would like to be reimbursed by SIL for it as there was an insurance policy to cover it. How long, in general, should it take to get the check, after submitting all necessary paperwork, including death certificate? Cut and dry medical issue was cause of death, she had many serious medical issues the last 5-7 years, shouldn't be slowed down by some big investigation to be sure it's vald.

My SIL is an extremely difficult person, and hubby and I bet this will be like pulling teeth....but there was $ provided to cover her final expenses, so we should rightfully be (and SIL agreed we would be, at time of purchase) reimbursed for the almost $400 for the urn.

Don't want to ask about it prematurely, but $400 is not chump change to us and we know/agree SIL will keep any 'extra' after final expenses from the policy- we just want to be reimbursed what's fair, what we put out of pocket. Haven't even discussed the 'extra' money with her, just decided it's not worth a fight with her over what will be less than $1k after all final expenses are paid off.

Still KNOW this is going to be a major headache with her, but what's right is right- and it WAS agreed upon. Don't want to wait too long to ask either- she'll have spent all the $! Should be simple, but trust me, with her, it NEVER is. So trying to 'time it right' when to ask about the $ to reimburse us....

See less See more
#2 ·
Well...let's see here. I was beneficiary of dad's insurance policy. Called company, sent in death certificate, waited 1 month-no check yet. Called company, they sent check to wrong address, they sent me a paper to fill out that I hadn't received check nor cashed it, signed that, sent that back in, did a stop payment on that check. Yesterday, I RECEIVED the "stop payment" check AND it had the right address on the envelope. Can't cash it~~ this has been going on for a good 2 months now. Still waiting on the 2nd check..... Good Luck!

#3 ·
Oh, I must mention...and the kicker is...
The "stopped pmt" check date on the envelope was over a month old, addition of numbers on one side printed in ink, a note of "I'm over at mom & dads" on the other side. Then on the side of addition someone had written... NOT OUR MAIL.... so I guess mystery keeper finally thot HEY, THIS AIN'T MINE!!!

#4 ·
I work for a life insurance company, and when we process a death claim, it's processed within a weeks time and then mailing time back to the beneficiary.

The biggest hold up we find is the beneficiary getting the original death certificate to us.

#5 ·
On a death claim outside the contestability period, upon receipt of the completed forms & death certificate, the beneficiary usually has the check within 7-10 business days.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like, if we can confirm she sent it out around when it was discussed she would, it should be about time to remind her we are expecting to be reimbursed for our out of pocket expenses for Mom's urn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.