Frugal Village Forums banner

Stupid tax--lease/rent to own

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  frugal is fun 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I have a question/confession. Earlier this year we were needing "new furniture" and without thinking it through or just being childish I went out to a rent to own place and got what we needed. The payment wasn't high monthly, but of course they are charging out the back end for it. Anyway right after that my son had medical/lifestyle issues. He is bi-polar and we didn't know that is what it was and he was trying to self medicate and ended up wrecking three vehicles, getting arrested for drunk driving, going through rehab twice and nearly dying from an overdose in the span of about 3 months. Anyway we have been having to "keep" him up since then and because I made this stupid lease we are having a terrible time. I would like to let the furniture go back, it really wouldn't matter about my credit, it isn't very good at the moment. My question is has anyone done this? What are the ramifications? Oh and it is just my name on the lease and I do not have a job.
So go ahead chew me out, but please give some advice if you have it.

Thanks

#4 ·
Russ,

I haven't been able to work the past few years and should really look into disability. I have multiple medical reasons. I just have not talked myself into admitting that I am disabled. I am going to have a yard sale in a couple of weeks but I really do not have anything big to sell. So while I might make a couple hundred that will be about all. I am going to get out my contract and read it carefully and see what it says. It is just so frustrating. I am behind 10 days and they are calling daily and today they said the wanted something by Monday. Well all I can give them Monday is the furniture. So if that is what they want that is what they will get. I have regretted this furniture since about a month after I leased it.

#5 ·
not sure wat company you used but you can let the furniture go back and there are no legal ramifications for that. The only thing that sucks is you paid a lot of money for furniture that you don't own and still don't own. I would definately let it go back, get something cheap or even free off of craigslist and start a "furniture fund". Good luck to you...I have been there and am working myway out of the finacial mistakes that I made as well.

#6 ·
Just call them and have them come pick it up. Your renting it till you pay a certain amount off. I made the same mistake when i divorced and payed on it for 6 months called them and said i couldn't pay for it any longer, couple days later they came and got it. No problems.

#7 ·
Yes, read the contract. Probably just stupid tax and it will be over. Look at Craig's list free stuff. If you have a pick-up or a largish car you can furnish your house that way. It does require a bit of patience and willingness to be flexible on style. I have seen entire living rooms listed as "if you can cart it is is yours..."

#8 ·
Something we did was buy our furniture piece by piece. We would save up for the couch, then buy it. Save up for the love seat, then buy it. If we couldn't save for it, we didn't buy it! The first house we bought , the living room was empty for almost two years as we saved the money and decided what furniture we liked. But it was quality furniture that we saved for-we still have the set 20 years and 8 moves later-and it looks as good as the day we bought it! And yes, we do use the living room frequently when we have family and friends over.

#9 ·
There are rare circumstances where it would be OK to use these services. When I was working on my undergraduate degree, I taught a Head Start class on dental hygiene. I needed a camcorder for a couple of days to record the classes. No one I knew had one and I didn't have the funds to buy.(this was early 90's) I went to a rental center. They ran my credit and I was able to get a bargain for 2 days at $15. Of course they were trying to woo me into renting other things (which I would never do) I thought it was a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.