Frugal Village Forums banner

workin on this no job no money thing..it sucks

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  forHISglory 
#1 ·
ok our bills come to $2440.00 a month

used to a income of $3500.00 a month

plus gas, groceries, and cigs (not my choice)

i applied for TANF which is food stamps, medical care, etc...

we did the unemployment which equals to $300.00 a week...starting this week i think...

landlord has been notified..no plan in place for that bill

called cell phone company..bill was $155.00 this month and $200.0 next month..now its $37 this month and $78 next month,they gave us a $250.00 credit

sirrus radio gave us 6 months free

comcast is sending someone to call me about setting up arrangement..his example was $75.00 every 3 weeks or something..
comcast also stated no early termination fee if cancelled

owe mom $85 she said i could wait

still have electric which was already behind i set up a payment plan with them before this mess

water

geico auto insurance

and my truck payment! ouch!

post poned netflix

See less See more
#4 ·
we just lost the job so right now we are good on clothes and food..still have a small amount of cash in the bank. But thank you so much

i think we will be ok..just feeling a little stressed today

i have wonderful parents that would help if i needed too..just dont want to ask, ya know?

social services said i would get a letter with a phone interview date n time...and i would assume that whatever comes with that would be effective after that interview

#6 ·
I have some data which may help. Here in NH there is a state web page that computes all of your available benefits, unemployment, food stamps, Vet medical insurance etc. I'm guessing Virginia doesn't have that,or you wouldn't need the interview? But you might ask...

The website is how we found out DH qualified for the free insurance thru the V.A. If he'd been in more recentlly than he was, or done another job, or been in longer, our potential benefits thru them might have been different. If you or your husband are vets, give the V.A. a call.

Also some churches and/or communities have some available services. Here we (55+) both can get lunch M-F at a local church, a church near here has a woodpile they distribute to those that need it during winter; finally, there's also a swap services for service credits and/or $ group near here too.

Try getting ahold of your local church if you haven't and see what if any local help may be available.

Hang in there. I know about the panic. DH and I have been thru various layoffs over the years, it is NEVER fun!

We split the job/money search...HE works on finding work/making money (thru ebay at least once we paid our mortgage). i worked at saving us money or finding ways to make money (went thru the house and found items to sell).

We also started writing down the things we learned so that if it happened again we weren't so streesed, which believe it or not helped calm the situation for both of us. Along the same lines, we talked about where we were and what was our biggest mistake that we could fix, easily. (You have to be careful about this, no accusations are allowed, you both own all the responsibility for where you are and how to fix it.)

From that discussion, we used the new data we had (how much his unemployment would be) and discussed the fact that unemployment would pay our mortgage, but in the meantime we were running up credit card bills or using every dime the business took in...so if/when he got work again, we should re-fi the mortgage, almost first thing.

We did. Years later, when he got laid off again, we were in a much better position. Unemployment paid the mortgage AND the groceries, without any other help, also I built up my stockpile more.

See if you can find some stuff to sell on Ebay or Craig's List. If you know how much your benefits will be, then you're in a better place than we were!

Is your husband going to need a resume? I think I still have some buff resume papers here we used for DH's resume a while back. If you're interested, PM me your mail address and I'll send 'em, assuming I can find them!

Best--
Judi

#10 ·
Your hubby's new job >> finding a new one.

My wife spent hours and hours PER DAY looking for a job. Looked at all the job websites everyday and applied EVERYDAY!

By now he should have his resume' completed and online to various websites.

Best of luck to you and your family.

#11 ·
Can you completely cancel Netflix, Comcast and Sirrus Radio? It'll be quick savings, and you can always reconnect once dh (or you) finds a job.

The monthly totals on your 'Grocery Challenge' list in your siggy seem to be going up, are there items you can skip and really only buy the bare essentials?

One tip about clothing: for the moment, accept everything offered. You don't know how long unemployment is going to last; people only offer once; your kids will grow when you have the least money (adapted from Murphy's law). If you don't need the clothes, pass them on to someone else or give back to the original giver.

#15 ·
thanks

the netflix is on freeze so no money required until i un freeze it and if at that time i cant i will cancel

sirrus when i called to freeze or cancel they gave us 6 months free so im not worrying about those until i have too

comcast im waiting on a call back to see how i should approach it

i dont want to run and turn everything off and then hubby gets a job this week ..i d rather wait and see what direction things go and turn things off as needed

clothes im really ok on and i have parents that will go out and get them something if i need it....they already offered to get coats with a jcpenney coupon

the grocery challenge is last years..=) i havent updated in a while

i spent about 50-100.00 a week at the grocery store with coupons..which i can cut back when needed..i have good supply of chicken in the fridge and a small amount of beef and pork..plenty of boxed foods. etc...

i think we are ok for the moment, husband has another good lead for a job, interview is tomorrow

filled for his first unemployment check this morning should get that on wed.

#12 ·
What is comcast?

#16 ·
I had the same thoughts as Seibre on canceling the entertainment items. In my thinking, those are always the first to go.

Glad to see that you seem upbeat overall, and that your parents are there to help out.

Reactions: sahm2boys
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.