Frugal Village Forums banner

Food Banks? Richmond VA

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Syn D 
#1 ·
Hi

i wanted to know how the food bank works?
has anyone in richmond ever used a food bank?

is it wrong to collect there and see what the churches offer? is it wrong to go to several different places and collect stuff the same day??

i am waiting on social services..the interview is the 9th of Nov with a decision dated 20th of Nov i have called twice and left msgs for expedited services..no return calls as of yet.

i have food i have some cash..but i dont want to use the cash i have and not be able to have gas for job hunting and kids school or whatever comes up, plus i can try and pay a small amount on bills. then whatever i am not able to get at the food banks i could go purchased if it was a must.

i have never relied on any service...so i am new to this..not sure i really want to

#2 ·
I don't live in your area, but I used to volunteer at a large food pantry in St.Louis (I loved it...but, I had to find a paying job ;) ) I would say it is morally wrong to go to several pantries in one day if you do not really need to. At the pantry I worked at, clients were only allowed to visit every two weeks. You might want to see if the pantries in your area have a time period between visits.

#3 ·
thanks

see i have never done it and just dont know whats right..i guess if i have food i should use what i have but i think i have a fear of running out...and with no money coming it yet..im a little stressed but trying not to show it and making plans to make things work.

#4 ·
Good luck. I haven't used a food bank either so can not offer any advice or experience.

I would suggest going to your local food bank and calling the local churches. The Foursqare church I used to go to gave a small amount of money instead of food to those who asked. Two other organizations/churches that may be able to help are Catholic Family Charities, you don't have to be a Catholic, and the Salvation Army Church.

#5 ·
The food bank I went to here in Oregon handed out a list of other food sources so I don't think that anyone is counting the number of banks you visit. However they do keep records (My food bank had a nice list of times I visited on a cardstock in my paper file. I don't think there was a list on a computer.)
It does seem selfish to take more than you need. The difficulty with that is it is helpful overall to have a well-stocked pantry. There are income levels that are required. Those are some things to consider when going to the food bank.
Also, go to a food bank before deciding how much/many you need. The food bank I went to was the donation site for Trader Joe's. While it claimed to give out three days of emergency food, it gave out a TON of fresh food that was "free" or not considered part of the three days. Loaves of bread allowed per family unit varied according to how many loaves they had. I have never seen the limit less than six. Of course because the free per family unit number was the same as a single person I "made out" really well with that. I made a list of what I got from the food bank here on the financial hardship site.
So go gently to the food bank, you may or may not be overcome with food. And much of it may be fresh...especially now.
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/financial-hardship/127955-emergency-food-box.html

#6 ·
Pop your zip code in at this website and see what food pantries come up in your area:

Find a Local Food Bank | Feeding America

Some food pantries limit how often you can come and some don't give out much each time. I wouldn't feel badly about going to more than one if you need too. I'm sure you've donated to them in the past and will again when you are able in the future. Keep your chin up and do what you have to for your family.

#8 ·
wow i typed my zip in the link for the food banks to see see where the nearest is located and it shows 70 miles away.Wow i was thinking the same city or maybe within 10 miles.

#9 ·
Clearly that site isn't very up-to-date. I was curious and typed in my zip and it said the closest to me was about 45 minutes away. I KNOW that is wrong. There is a food bank about a 10 minute drive away. Also, there are other organizations in my city that give food to those in need. I don't think they are classified as a food bank per se, but they do the same kind of thing.

#10 ·
Closest to me is 2 hrs away.. I'm gonna guess they only show the feeding America ones and not the small church/community ones..

Reactions: frugrrl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.