Frugal Village Forums banner

BIG speed bump in our road

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
When hubby was hired by his company 5 or so years ago, one of his 'perks' was fully paid health ins. for our whole family. Well, his boss can no longer afford it, so he is now only going to provide it for hubby and I, not our kids. It is a small company, maybe 6-8 employees, the other guys just have their kids on the 'Healthy Kids' insurance one can buy into in our state, if they qualify. You get it free or pay in $32, $54, or $205 a month per child for health and dental insurance, his coworkers all pay the $32 a month.

That would be fine EXCEPT my hubby makes a higher wage than most there, AND owns his own business, we are not clear if we will qualify for this program, and if so, at what buy-in amount. $32 or $54 we can do, but $205 x 2 kids is not within our reach. Our other option is to pay the diff. to his company- almost $400 a month to keep the kids on the insurance there. At that point might as well pay the $410 through the program for 2 kids (if we qualify) and at least have lower co pays and dental too...our current insurance (anthem) is not great and has high co-pays, but at least it's something.

The kids' insurance ends 2/1, our application for the Healthy Kids goes out tomorrow and can take 45 days to process. We are looking at having a gap of them being uncovered, OR having to figure out another $400 a month expense, which I do not know how we'll do. I understand why his boss had to change this, ins. costs have risen 20% a year, but I wish he had given us the courtesy of a heads up this might happen even 3 weeks or a month sooner so we could get this application in sooner.

We JUST 2 weeks ago made our last car payment of $278 a month, and that was a stretch for us, but we got it paid of 2+ years early. It feels like we took a great leap forward with our money, only to be shoved 2 giant bounds backwards. We just have to wait and see how our application goes, but in the meantime, it's STRESSFUL not knowing how much we'll have to pay or if we'll even qualify!

I know I just have to wait it out, nothing more to do on my end, but as a 'control freak' with a plan for everything, having this MAJOR detail in life up in the air is NOT sitting well with me!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to throw a bright side your direction, thank goodness you HAD just made that step forward. Look what a better position you are now compared to 3 months ago with that payment off your head?

Ugh to being in the "earn too much for this, and not enough for this" bracket. Hugs.

#4 ·
That is a rough one to digest. Signs of the challenging economy everywhere.

#7 ·
:hugz: Hugs to you. In our state there is a sort of intermediate insurance for people in this position. You pay (so not like medicaid) but it's cheaper. At the least look into catastrophic insurance. We used that for years. Yes you have to pay and it doesn't kick in until over about $5000 but IF something horrible happens you won't be sunk. Best of Luck!

#8 ·
I feel your pain dh is covered by his company but we have to pay 98.00 week for me Ds has his own insurance 157.00 per month it is more of a emergency insurance only 3 doctor isits a year but the hospital part is good He is only 21 and healthy so this works for him I know everyone health insurance will be going up been reading about it online all week

#9 ·
Depending on what state your in. Don't get nervous if they send you a letter and say you do quilify but don't have insurance at the moment. Most states will back date 90 days prior. My daughter is on the Healthy Kids. We are self employed.

#10 ·
We are self employed and pay $1000 a month for health insurance- icky. My husband is a small business owner and the cost of health insurance for small businesses is outrageous. In order to keep employees these days something has to give unfortunately. While it does stink, you were lucky to have that insurance while you did. We looked at several different options for insurance and ended up on a single policy through an agent. We also looked at doing the healthy kids type program for our kids in our state and met all of the qualifications BUT our kids had to be UNINSURED for 6 months in order to qualify. We weren't willing to risk 6 months with no insurance. $1000 hurts, but no other options right now. Good luck!

#12 ·
Update- just heard today- while we qualify income-wise for a the 'silver' buy in ($30 or $50 something a month, per child), we are rejected...because our kids have had insurance in the last 6 months. They would waive this requirement IF my hubby were laid off, or IF the employer gave NO ONE insurance (adults only covered now, no family plans for anyone). So, we can let our kids go uninsured for 6 months (not gonna happen!) or pay OOP for whatever it's gonna be- last figure was almost $400 a month. Hubby has 2 talk to boss later this week....hoping they will cover at least -some- of it, they thought we could just get on this other program since some of the coworkers somehow were able to (in the last few years, not recently).....them covering our family health insurance was part of the bargain he offered hubby to get him to work there originally. Haven't had raises in a few years, to take an almost $100 a week pay cut like this now is gonna be TOUGH. May have to take 4 yo ds out of preschool a few months early....that would give us $160 a month to put towards this. We will figure it out, but a REALLY bad blow to us, or so it feels.

It may be silly, but I almost feel like we're being punished for being responsible people who handle our money and responsibilities pretty well- 'Well, you qualify based on income, and we understand they can no longer get insurance through hubby's work, but since you've been keeping your children in health insurance thus far, no soup for you!'

#14 ·
That REALLY sucks and I can see how you feel the responsible ones are punished. Good for you for seeing having your kids go 6 months without insurance is not an option. I hope his boss will cover some of the costs! But in my opinion to pay $400/month to have everyone covered (since the boss is paying for you and your DH), is actually a pretty good price, depending on the actual coverage.
Hope it all works out and good for you for paying off the vehicle quickly!

#15 ·
wishing you the best of luck

have you looked into (just a thought here) children only coverage? not a good way to go, but, at least they will be covered. get them a straight forward 1000 ded 70/20 plan and then get you and dh a 5000 deduc? these are just thoughts...

hope you are able to work it all out.

#16 ·
Well, we have it figured out, through sheer lucky timing- hubby is changing jobs, back to his old job he was at 6+ years ago....they happen to have a day shift opening. We have to pay into our family ins, of course, but it isn't bad, and it's a better plan than he had before. He will be making almost $6 per hour more BUT as the job is in MA he will have to pay MA income tax (here in NH no income tax) AND he has to commute 45+ minutes each way. The 'new' job is choking on weekly overtime, they have more work than they know what to do with, whereas his 'old' job hasn't had OT in 4-5 months.

So, basically, by the time we count pay raise, income tax, commute, paying our new health ins. there...we will come out -slightly- ahead $ wise on a 'straight' week over his 'old' job, BUT when there IS OT ( which they had 40-something weeks last year) it will be GOOD.

The real down side- we ALL will be un-insured for a month, but I just don't see anyway around it.

#17 ·
Don't know if you'd found this yet, or not. Here's a chart with income/insurance coverage benefits levels:

Eligibility - Children Under the Age of 19 | Medical Assistance | Division of Family Assistance | New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

Also, there's a statement on the form I found that says you can get help for medical bills for the last 90 days, if needed:

Pregnant women and some children may qualify for help with some unpaid medical or dental bills. If you received any
services in the last 90 days before this application date, you may apply for this coverage.

Do you want to apply for this now? n Yes n No If yes, check a box to show us when you had unpaid bills.

n 1-30 days n 31-60 days n 61-90 days You will need proof of income for the dates you checked.

IHTH!

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.