Frugal Village Forums banner

semi-crisis budget meeting tonight

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
I start teaching part-time again next week. But my load is enough that I won't be receiving unemployment benefits while teaching part-time. (I received half benefits last semester, but more classes this semester.) So, next week will be my last unemployment benefit.

However, I won't get paid from teaching until 01 March, so I will have zero income during the month of January. My wife and I had a budget meeting tonight and, while the cable / internet will be below the line, we can cover our mortgage and other minimums and gas and food and still have about $200 in the emergency fund by the time I start getting paid from school.

I'm going to first explain my situation to Time Warner and see what can be done. I'll mention that I'm community college faculty and a volunteer fire fighter and see if they can do some sort of special pricing or what have you or even drop the cable for awhile and just keep the internet. This might mean we'll be completely without TV as we only have non-HD TVs.

Then I will hit the unemployment office and explain my situation. Receiving two extra unemployment weeks will be like winning the Taj Mahal including staff. Even just one will put us in a whole different world. If they can't do anything I'll look into short-term funds at the county level and ask the unemployment office for suggestions. For that matter, I'll also check in with my payroll office for ideas.

It was hard for me to bring this up with my wife tonight. Many failure feelings. She's glad we've made so much BS2 progress to be able to make this work, but I'm still not happy about things. Hopefully after sleeping some I'll feel a little better.

Mostly just needed to try to get the monkey off my chest and move on to the next list of stuff I have to get done this week.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that things are tight there. One of the things you mentioned was cable/internet. "I" (hubby and my kids would strongly disagree and rebell at the suggestion) would not even mess with asking for special priceing for the cable and would just drop it and keep the net.

Here's my reasoning on it.
1)There are so many things you can simply watch on the computer now.
2)I find the TV to be a "time monster" for lots of people. They don't just watch things they REALLY want to see. They sit and flip through things out of habit or boredom. Think of all the things you could be doing with that extra time. Instead of looking at it as a deprivation for a month or two look at it as an opportunity to get things done you've not been able to find the time to do.
3)Consider it a health challenge or experiment. Even if you don't consiously change anything else. Is there anything healthwise that is different 2 weeks in, 4 weeks, and so on, such as: Are you less tired because your getting more sleep? Have you dropped a pound or two because your not sitting still through movies or muching on the couch? Are you excersizing more (like maybe taking longer walks with your dogs) not because you've forced it but because you had the time.

Just a suggestion and a more positive way of looking at it. Hope you can keep the disability another week or two so that things ease up for you.

Reactions: Libby
#4 ·
WTG Mark on being a team player bringing your sweetie on board with your concerns and not keeping them to yourself.:thumb:

#5 ·
Instead of asking for special pricing - can you ask to 'suspend' your cable tv service indefinitely? And be clear that you want to keep the internet only.

I agree with TRN that most things (especially in the US) can be watched online. And I second that 'turn off the tv and see what else will get accomplished w/o that time/energy vampire' :) It does wonders! Turn that negative into a positive.

You're very resourceful Mark, you WILL MAKE IT. :cheergrl: You CAN do it! :cheergrl:

#6 ·
I haven't had cable for a couple of years now. I don't miss it. Wait, maybe its only been a year. I don't remember. Internet is $45 right now, on a promo, and every 6 mos I call and ask for another promo. If your tv is older like mine you might be able to score a converter box off Craig's List. (I haven't bothered as I don't miss tv) That would give you the basic programming again, I believe.

I don't know if you have a vcr or dvd player but you can score movies for free or cheap off Craig's List as well if you don't already have a stash of them. Popcorn, movie, snuggle time, you will be set!

#7 ·
If he's not getting income next month (I'm assuming you meant February, not January) then shutting off his cable probably isn't going to do anything. He's probably going to get charged for this month next month so shutting off cable would help the March budget, not Feb. I would look into it anyway but I wouldn't count on it.

I would call all your creditors and anyone you owe a bill next month to and ask them for a changed due date. A few different places will let you change your due date. Push it back as late as you can. You may still be late, but it will also give you some time to come up with some extra cash. If that fails and you still can't pay everything, I'd read up on late fees, disconnections etc and try to find the bills that will cause the least damage if late.

I know it sucks, but it's only a month. You'll get through it.

#8 ·
mek42,

Your plan sounds good to me. Just knowing you have a plan is a big relief.

Will any of your creditors, electric, etc. consider a minimum payment for February, without incurring fees? Doesn't hurt to ask.

I know I sometimes make a credit card purchase at the beginning of the credit cycle so I'll have the money to pay when the bill comes in later.

I asked Verizon if it was possible to suspend my internet when my pc started acting funny. My computer guy runs his own shop and he's usually overwhelmed with work. They said it was certainly possible but luckily, my computer guy fixed it within one night.

#10 ·
One thing I didn't find here. My college (in CA, I admit) had a "loan" available for continuing students and/or faculty. At the time, (years ago!) you could borrow up to $25, which was enough at the time to keep me in gas/groceries for a week. Ask if there is any provision for emergency short-term loans at the school where you work, you may be surprised!

Where I was, the loan had to be repaid in 6 weeks or so, but just knowing it is available would probably help your feelings right now!

Judi

#11 ·
Go visit a food pantry to get some groceries. They are used to seeing working poor who fall through the cracks in the social safety net. Some panties have income requirements depending on their funding sources; but others are first come, first served as long as you show up on the appointed time.

I did have to go without a TV for a year and cable for three more years in the early 1990s. Yes before Internet days.

I listened to news / talk radio and went to my parents' house if there was a major sports game or something I wanted to watch. I also spent a lot of time reading that year.

#12 ·
So sorry you are in a spot. But it is not the end of the world. Take it from me, just get through one day at a time. Do what you can and be satisfied with that. Not worth the stress. You have a job, keep your head up and know that it will be better soon. Keep reading this thread and know we are all pulling for you! Hugs to you and your family!

#13 ·
I'm also assuming you meant February would be no income, not January.

I agree with the food pantry idea - just for now - how much can that save you between now & March 1st?

Also, do you have anything you can try to sell on Craigslist?

you guys can do it! just focus!

good luck

#14 ·
Yes, after next week, I have no income until March, meaning no income for me in February.

Thanks for the ideas and support. NY unemployment has nothing, but they suggested I try the local DSS, who gave me a food stamp / HEAP packet to fill out. I'll need to ask for an expedited answer.

I'll stop by campus payroll and ask where else to go - the payroll ladies are very nice and know quite a bit. At this point, even just some lunch vouchers for the campus cafeteria would be helpful.

I did already make my first sacrifice. Had plans to meet a soldier from Ft. Drum halfway for a day of wargaming yesterday. Someone hit his vehicle Friday, rendering it inoperable and I just couldn't see how to afford the gas to get all the way there, so we're gonna try again on President's Day weekend.

Feel good about making the right decision, but wish it could've been otherwise.

#16 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan Mek! having been in your shoes with 0 income once for 7 weeks I know how hard it is. I hope the payroll ladies have more suggestions.

I know when we went the 7 weeks when dh had his surgery years back I called everyone we had a bill with and many let me postpone paying with no hassle or fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.