Frugal Village Forums banner

Steps To Stop Collection Calls That Aren't Mine

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Darlene 
#1 ·
I am getting a TON of phone calls looking for my husband's ex-wife. They have been divorced for over twenty years and she is now on husband #4. We know her address, but not her phone number. These companies have her address and phone number. She is just ignoring them.

She is a scheming, conniving woman. She is out of work (for the 1000th time) and recently remarried. I know her new husband has no idea of her bad credit and lying, cheating ways. She probably has a PO box so he doesn't see the bills/collection letters.

I am sick and tired of having to screen calls on my own phone! Occasionally I am waiting for an important call and have to take the chance and answer the phone! I also use my home phone for my business.

Now I am getting collection calls for MY ex-husband! We have been divorced for over twenty years and I have no idea where he is. Add to that the constable/sheriff's office is calling to serve papers on one of Hubby's cousins that lives near Dallas. He has never lived here or received mail here.

#2 ·
you know you can take papers out on the companies if they are harassing you for no reason.

#3 ·
Debt Collection Practices: When Hardball Tactics Go Too Far | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

Relevant to your situation:

I am being contacted by a collector looking for my former roommate, neighbor, or relative. Can I stop this?

The FDCPA says a debt collector may contact someone other than the debtor, but only to learn the location of the debtor. Usually this contact can be made only once, unless the collector has reason to believe the person has new information. If you are a relative or roommate, a debt collector who contacts you repeatedly also violates your privacy. Excessive contact may be considered a form of harassment. You should be able to stop contact by writing to the debt collector. For an example of what to say if you are the alleged debtor and want to cease calls to you or if the debt is someone else's and a collector is contacting you about it, see sample letters 4 or 6 at Attachment B, Consumer Form Letters and Opt Out Information | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse.

If the collector persists in contacting you, discloses details about the other person's debt, or if the collector's actions have been abusive or threatening, you should complain to the appropriate government agency and seek legal advice. The important thing to remember is that you have the same rights as the debtor, including the right to bring an action for any of the violations described here. For further discussion, see Part 7.

A debt collector keeps leaving prerecorded messages on my cell phone looking for someone I’ve never heard of. What can I do?

This is a common occurrence and can be quite annoying. In January 2008, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), prompted by debt collectors, ruled that autodialed, prerecorded collection calls can be left on cell phones. To fall within the FCC’s ruling, the cell phone number must have been provided on a credit application. http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-232A1.txt

However, despite the limitations of the FCC’s ruling, the reality is that cell phone numbers change frequently. Frustrations are heightened by the inability often to speak to a "live" person to explain the mistake. Recorded messages often include only a toll free number without the name of a personal contact. The PRC raised these and other concerns when the FCC was considering whether or not to allow debt collectors to leave prerecorded messages on cell phones. To read the PRC’s comments to the FCC on this issue, go to Prohibit Debt Collectors from Calling Cell Phones: Comments to the FCC | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

If you find yourself on the receiving end of prerecorded collection calls to your cell phone, first attempt to stop the calls by contacting the collection agency. Written contact is always preferable to a phone call. A sample letter to stop contacts about someone else’s debt can be found as an attachment to PRC Fact Sheet 27. Stop Contact about Someone Else's Debt | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

If this does not work, as is often the case, complain to the FCC.

You may file a complaint with the FCC by:

E-mail : fccinfo@fcc.gov
Online : Filing a Complaint
Telephone : Voice (888) CALL-FCC, or (888-225-5322)
TTY (888) TELL-FCC, of (888-835-5322)
Mail :
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaint Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554

The FCC asks that you include the following in your complaint:

* Your name, address, and daytime telephone number
* The telephone number or e-mail address at which you received an unsolicited commercial message or call, or an autodialed call
* As much specific information about the message as possible, including:
o the date and time you received the message
o the identity of the company that sent the message to you
o the products or services that were promoted in the message
o the sender's e-mail address and any other e-mail addresses, street addresses or telephone numbers that may be referenced in the message
o a description of any contact you may have had with the entity that sent the message, including whether you have done business with that entity before receiving the message/call and any steps you may have taken to reject future messages.

#4 ·
I get calls for my husband's ex once in a while. I politely but firmly tell them 1.) she doesn't live here, 2.)they are divorced and 3.) have been for more than 10 years and he 4.) hasn't seen or heard from her in the last 5 years and 5.) we don't know where she lives now.

So far they've all been apologetic and not bothered us twice.

#7 ·
Only if they are repeatedly harassing you after you've told them to stop. Otherwise they are allowed, in the collection of a debt, to make calls to people they think might know where the debtor is, in order to find that debtor.

#8 ·
Some companies are also very notorious for harassing innocent bystanders, people with the old phone numbers, people related to the debtor, etc. If you know exactly which company is calling, check to see if there are complaints and file again with the proper Federal and State agencies, BBB, whoever else you can.

#10 ·
We only have cell phones here and with those I am able to block a few (6 i think?) phone numbers. The block lasts 3 months and then I can add them again. I have Verizon and can block the numbers online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.