Frugal Village Forums banner

Millions to lose unemployment benefits...how many of you will this affect

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  HappyMama 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Was writing when you posted.

Nikko,

Like I said Daily Finance is one of my daily reads...hehe see you over there my friend.

xo

#3 ·
Nikko,

I love the Daily Finance as well, great informative read. I believe that story is from 6/24/10 and up until Nov. they did think it wouldn't pass as Senate let it go up for expire. But updated as of Dec. 2010 they did pass for now:

[Updated December 2010] President Obama has signed into law a bill that covers an extension of all the bush-era tax cuts plus some new and extended tax benefits. With this legislation he has essentially created a new 2011 Economic Stimulus package, estimated at around $858 billion. As part of this package, unemployment insurance benefits were extended once again, for an additional 13 months. Over 7 million Americans were at risk of losing their unemployment checks if the insurance was not extended. The latest benefits extension is only for those who have exhausted their 26 weeks of state jobless insurance or who are working their way through the federal tiers (see details below). Further, the maximum for unemployment benefits is still 99 weeks.

When the benefits expired earlier this year (Nov. 30) about 1 million people scattered across all 50 states stopped receiving unemployment checks, which provide an additional 34 and up to 53 weeks of benefits based on the state’s unemployment levels under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC), which was enacted in 2008. After state and EUC benefits are used up, unemployed workers can receive benefits through the permanent federal-state Extended Benefits (EB) program, between 13 to 20 weeks, if their state’s unemployment insurance laws call for it, according to the National Employment Law Project (NELP).

Under the new tax law, states won’t have to show that their unemployment rates increased during the past two years to keep the EB program. In addition, the new legislation gives 10 states — Arkansas, Iowa, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Montana, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming — an opportunity to provide the EB benefit to jobless workers, if they pass state legislation. Currently, 977,000 workers are receiving extended benefits, according to NELP.

Overall, half of all states qualify for the 99 weeks, because the unemployment rate is at least 8.5 percent with some of the highest unemployment in California, Georgia and Rhode Island, according to Labor Department statistics. Of those 25 states, 12 have jobless rates at least as high as the 9.8 percent national level, while nine are mired in double-digit unemployment.

Hope this helps. But well you know with the economy so many are affected right now it is sad. Just thought I would put this up for you.

#5 ·
Just came back on...ok, aol way behind today...that was one of the headlines this morning...wonder if they screwed up as I did...now going to go back and see if they pulled it...my mistake folks...

#6 ·
ah...link was with the Wisconsin and taking away Union Rights...it's gone...whew

#7 ·
I have seen a lot of old headlines recycled as if knew lately....it is weird and tends to catch you off guard. Like didn't someone else do that months ago....Oh no same story why are they putting it up as if it happened yesterday, so know what you mean.

Reactions: NikoSan999
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.