Frugal Village Forums banner

I am starting to get VERY discouraged

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  miss_cas 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a cheaper place to rent for a year now and an extra job as well. I am so down from this. I have no clue if I can survive much more stress.

#2 ·
Spring is coming and that means new beginnings. Keep your eyes open as a lot of people move in warmer weather and that means a chance for you to snag a new place too. Don't hesitate to tell everyone you know that you are looking, you never know who knows someone that is hunting for someone just like you to rent to.
You have kids? If not it might be worth your while to look for a roomate to live with.
Good luck & don't give up.

Reactions: lovestoread
#3 ·
Yeah.......what Darlene said.

Hang in there..........and be sure to check every avenue for a rental.........the management co's (NOT the ones that charge the renter)........the newspapers, and Craigslist.

Also...........maybe reevaluate everything.....including the type of job you are looking for.........and apt.

I think the roommate thing is a good idea..........and could be for a short term thing...........to get going again.

#4 ·
Thanks so much for all your kind words. Really helps. We cant do an apt. Wish we could, but we can. We have a pitbull and most apartments dont accept them. When looking for a house to rent I dont tell them shes a pit though. The thing is I work from home now. My income is not stable. It varies every month and we pay way to darn much. $1050 a month. I am trying to find a full time job I can bring home at least $1600 a month because that is what my bills have totaled. I am barely making it with nothing to save nor pay debt with.we would love to have a roomate, but my dog wouldnt allow it.

#6 ·
We have a pitbull and most apartments dont accept them. When looking for a house to rent I dont tell them shes a pit though.

Don't know where you live..........and not sure you would know this............

renting with a PIT BULL is trouble. Renting with ANY animal is more trouble........

Do you realize that if I rented to you.........and my ins. found out........they would cancel me IN A HEARTBEAT!!

THE MAIN REASON I DO NOT ALLOW ANY SORT OF ANIMAL!!!

not even a goldfish.............

#5 ·
When you say we...do you have another person besides you who lives there...husband, SO...if so are they working...you said your bills total 1050 a month and you need 1600. Understandable, but when you say we...can the other person contribute?

#7 ·
my husband is unemployed right now he is looking for work as well. The rent is $1050 but our bills are $1600 a month. yes I realize what you are saying about the pitbull but i didnt know that before I got her. If I did I would have never got her. We wont give her away though shes part of the family.Thank you again for the input.

#8 ·
I wish you were in Texas. I would rent to you. In fact, when I rent out my house some day, it will be to someone WITH a dog, and a Pit Bull is just fine with me. They are intelligent dogs and do far less damage to a property than some small dogs that are almost impossible to housebreak. Also, with a large dog on the property, burglers will probably just go victimize someone else and not risk targeting the house with the dog on duty.

Keep looking. I'm not the only other dog lover that owns rental property.

Thank you for your loyalty to your dog. Good luck on finding a property to rent.

#9 ·
Thank you oowl. Not sure how to put this shes a real sweetie, great to us and our kids. She is people friendly, but not when it comes to my hubby. She is very protective with him. when its me and my kids even though she protects us she dosent get an attitude with them at all over us. That was very sweet of you. I wish I was there too honestly. Michigan seems so biased on pit bulls.

#11 ·
Michigan seems so biased on pit bulls.
Sorry you are going through this and I would guess that you would find out that it isn't "just Michigan" that is so biased on pitbulls.

It has been created by some rotten individuals that bred them for the wrong reasons. Many states, insurance companies, and rental owners learned of it and have to protect themselves while making it harder on the 'good owners' of the dog.

It has just been in the last two to three years that my insurance company ALWAYS asks me if I rent to people with animals...........and will ask what sort of dogs I have.

The list just expanded this year from my insurance co. and I was told that they watch for: Pitbulls, German Sheperds, and Rottweilers..............surprised me and I love the Rotties.

But.....I am running a business and have to protect myself.

I admire your dedication to your dog but it could complicate the renting process. If more people were like you maybe we wouldn't have the need for dog pounds.

#10 ·
I've noticed that people who live in areas of cold winters sometimes have a tendancy to have a shift in personality as the winter lingers - it seems to really take its toll. As Darlene said - Spring will be here soon and I know that you will feel better - just feeling the softer and warmer air in your body.

Keep us posted as to what's happening - when I get down, I try to hang onto "This too shall pass" and it does.

Reactions: serenity72
#13 ·
frgual oh yes I know its all over and please know its nothing against you or other renters. I totally understand your position too. I love her to pieces and I am very loyal to her. Shes a wonderful dog, unfortunatly theres wrong people out there who mess up there dogs too. Its hard, very hard. Sometimes I want to be honest to landlords sometimes I don't because of how things are. When we got her she was puppy. We didnt know she was a pit. My landlord didn't care and still doesnt but now we have to move because of finances.

#14 ·
I can completely understand how you feel. I would not go anywhere without my dog and that's just all there is to it. There are definitely places that are animal friendly, you will just have to seek out smaller landlords who are a bit more lenient than large rental companies. Craigslist has been a great asset in that area.

As far as extra income, I have picked back up my freelance writing, and maybe a work at home job for 200 a week will help you reach your goal?

#16 ·
Thank you for the other ideas. I havent looked at low income houseing. Not saying I shouldnt, but I have heard it can take years to even get approved for it so that is why its keeping me back. I am really tring to find something stable on top of what I do now working from home. I prefer an outside job, but I am looking into working at home more too till I find something on top of what I am doing now. Our landlord now rocks, just wish the place was cheaper.

#17 ·
I would look into the low income housing. You never know. When we moved to CO my hubby found a great apartment complex that is part of the low income housing system. They evaluate your finances and set your rent accordingly. For us that meant a three bedroom for our family for $835 and it is even in a nice part of town.

#19 ·
I'm with the other individual who mentioned freelance writing. If you have any writing skills you can probably join up with (sorry, don't want to get in trouble for posting links) Demand Studios or Suite 101.

I write for them when I'm in between projects or just wanting that extra income.

I guess the trick is to be as creative and resourceful as possible when thinking about making extra income.

#22 ·
Have you tried talking to your landlord about your situation? Maybe you could negotiate a lower rent... or somehow work part of it off by doing repairs or maintenance or something along those lines...

#24 ·
Can you move back in with the parental units or a relative? Do you have any friends who would want to rent with you where you are living now?

Have you tried talking to the day-labor temp agency in town for a job on your days off?

What about plasma donations?

Can you visit the food pantry for your needs? Do you qualify for food stamps or heating assistance?

Sometimes you can find free cell service if you meet the income limits. Watch for ads on your television locally.

Do you live in an expensive neighborhood? Some people will pay you to walk their dogs during the workday. Some people also make a business of cleaning up people's yards of dog poop.

Do you live in a neighborhood with a lot of retirees? In a wealthier area, they will sometimes pay your out of their own pockets to clean up the house, cook, do yard work, shop and transport for doc visits. Sometimes you can even live-in and get a small stipend. This is also an option in a poorer neighborhood but most of the seniors are using their secondary health insurance and have to go through an agency to get a home health aide. (You also need an expensive certification to make $9 an hour plus wear your car out driving all over.) You have to work thru an agency to get this kind of work in a poorer neighborhood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.