Frugal Village Forums banner

Question about Chase foreclosure

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  indigo53 
#1 ·
My sister has a Chase mortgage and went through a mortgage modification a few months ago. She lives across the country and is secretive about her affairs. She is also a very poor manager of her money and has a gambling history. The house in question is nearby where I live and my mom lives there (Which is why this is a little bit my business) My sister has been getting registered letters from Chase related to property inspection fees and things like that. A property inspector was on the property yesterday and has ordered the front porch be torn down. My mom is elderly and doesn't know if this person was from the insurance company or Chase. Is this part of the modification process? Any advice? I don't want my mom suddenly booted out.

#4 ·
Wish I could be of some help here but I know nothing about mortgage modifications, although I don't know how a bank thinks it can demand that a major renovation be done simply because there's a mortgage.

Although it could be that the inspector is from the county/state or something - really don't have enough info.

I think if anything your focus needs to be on your mother and making sure she has somewhere to live that isn't with your irresponsible sister.

#5 ·
An inspection does not sound normal for a loan mod. I would guess it's the county inspector who says it needs to be torn down. I did not offer any advice earlier because your post wasn't all the clear.

But as a person who tried to do a loan mod i can tell you that we were not asked to do a home inspection. However if they did ask for one I would be in no position to say no or argue what they say about it. They don't have to do anything but the person asking for help does.

#6 ·
It may have been from the company who holds the homeowners insurance. I have heard that sometimes they come and take pictures to see if the property is being kept up. If not they make recommendations to fix the property or they will drop coverage.

Just a thought.

#7 ·
That's possible - we had Allstate and they kept sending people over telling us things we had to do to our house...

... so we switched to Nationwide.

#8 ·
The insurance company has an interest in the property being in decent shape and if the front porch is about to fall and isn't fixed and say a big storm comes and it falls it could take more of the house with it. Where as if the porch was structurally sound the porch would have been able to withstand the storm and no damage, no claim. Saves them a ton of money.

#9 ·
well this is the first time i have been on the site today - have 5 kids a job etc . i was out the door before this was even posted as were many i would assume .

i wouldnt jump to think your being ignored - but its really a next to impossible question for someone to really answer best we can do is guess.

if she is trying to refinance - i would think an inspector could say this needs this or that in order for the mortgage to go thru
when we went thru FHA for our home with the first mortgage ( we arent fha now) there were a bunch of requirements that had to be met to get that type of loan things that a regular loan didnt need.
for our house the sellers had to fix a slightly elevated block of pavement and put a new higher rail on the steps down from the front door.

almost every lender sending me emails - leaving phone messages and or sending snail mail with promises of super low interest rates are FHA loans .

anymore with the economy as it is lenders are being especially careful - in fact they really cant just go by the prior decision of what the house was worth - so many are worth less- .

Reactions: tina150 and Russ
#10 ·
Just my opinion:

Option 1: Ask your sister. I also have a very secretive sibling - so maybe you can go with the line..... Mom was weirded out, or confused, or scared, or whatever by this guy that said....... and see what sis says is going on.

Option 2: Read the letters yourself - maybe you have.... not sure... but sometimes our aging parents confuse/exagerate the details.

Option 3: you can TRY to call Chase and ask "as a concerned caregiver for my elderly mother, do I need to find her a new home?" You won't get details, but you may get something to go by...

Option 4: Don't take it personally - I've posted things that get lost so quick - then people don't see it unless it gets bumped back up. Nothing personal!

hope that helps? :toothy:

Reactions: Russ
#11 ·
We have Nationwide Insurance and almost a year ago they did this to us. Correction, Nationwide was who we go thru but apparently Allied was the new carrier...don't have a clue...anyhow story dosen't change.
Allied sent someone out to the house to investigate...hmm...we didn't know they were even here until we get a letter stating they were canceling our insurance in 60 days ( unless we complied ) because..get a load of this...
1. we had a flower pot on the concrete going around the house.
2. we had a ladder lying against the outside of house.
4. we had a grill on the back open porch.
5. we had an above ground pool with no fence around it and even tho it was legal as far as code goes because it was 52 inches or higher THEY had the final say.
6. we had an almost new ( couple years old ) shed with siding, house shingles, air, windows and double doors. They said it was damaged. It had about a 2 inch ding/dent that we had to look hard to find. Probably from a lawnmower throwing something.

I called Nationwide and demanded a copy of the pix. She emailed them and agreed there was nothing wrong with the shed and the rest was BS. BUT if we didn't want cancelled we had to move the pot, put the ladder somewhere out of the pictures we were supposed to take, etc. We washed the shed hid the pot, ladder and grill ..took pix and sent them to her..lThey didn't cancel. Shouldn't have done it tho or should say shouldn't have bothered...taking the pool down cost us about $400 and that was in March I think and we hadn't made a payment since the Feb before and we knew the house was gone and filed bankruptcy in April...I wanted to leave it up and save the $400 but he wouldn't do it...said didn't want trouble. Geesh

This was insurance we'd had forever. Point is it very well could be the insurance company. Only other thing I can think of is Code Enforcement. Happens alot here when they stick their nasty noses in.

Reactions: Russ
#12 ·
Thanks to all who responded, it was my first thread. Just nervous about this. :) I read on FV once that homeowners insurance will sometimes try and drop a property after it has gone thru mortgage modification. My mom is happy where she is because my sister's college age children also live on the property and look after her. The property is also in a college town and would be a BIG money earner if sold. I would just like to know ahead of time if my mom's situation is going to change.

#13 ·
Thanks to all who responded, it was my first thread. Just nervous about this. :) I read on FV once that homeowners insurance will sometimes try and drop a property after it has gone thru mortgage modification..
Correct for the most part...in our case I'm sure they had done a credit review when they took it from Nationwide or Nationwide gave it to them so to speak. However it goes. When they saw our credit rating was totally in the tanks they were looking for any excuse they could find to drop us. The Nationwide lady agreed that this was undoubtedly right. Since the so called problems above were all they could find...and they probably never dreamed we'd pull the pool up...and the fact that I told the Nationwide lady I would have a deputy out to the house to verify along with the pictures that the deed was done and they'd better have a dang good reason if they still cancelled or I would get a lawyer and we'd see each other in court.

Since your mother is in a loan mod it sounds like there may be some credit issues there also. The insurance companies see possible foreclosures, houses left empty, breaking and entering, destruction and claims and so forth...key word "claims"

On the other hand the mortgage companies continue paying the insurance even if she lost the house. She would have it tacked onto what she still owed the bank...same with land taxes if in with the house payment. They get their payments for the insurance but it's far more likely to have claims which the insurance does NOT want.

Again, the other thing is Code Enforcement...if the porch is in really bad shape all it takes is them driving by or a neighbor reporting it. If they are demanding it be taken down instead of repair it sounds like it's in really bad shape.

My money is on the loan mod and house insurance. It's all a racket. She's elderly, obviously dosen't have money ( or wouldn't be doing the loan mod ) so they cancel the insurance and if you don't have insurance the loan mod can't go thru....they get the house, she ends up owing either the difference for what is owed on the house and what it sells for to the bank OR a 1099C for cancellation of debt for the difference of same and she owes the IRS if it's not an original loan or refinanced for anything reason other than remodeling to raise the value and a couple other dumb reasons.

Sorry so long but this stuff just burns my cookies.

#15 ·
So I am feeling cynical...any chance that this could be some "wandering handyman" or friend of a handyman who is trying to scare an elderly woman into making repairs? And why was he talking to her? Would he be talking only to the owner? Unless it was a seriously dangerous situation....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.