Frugal Village Forums banner

Things are getting better.

Tags
things
2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago we were hanging on by a thread. I was embarrassed that I had let it get that bad, and even worse it put a lot of tension between DH and I because I don't think he realized how bad we were doing either. He made me feel awfully guilty by applying for a minimum wage job and saying he'd work nights and weekends to bring in extra money. (He already works 40-50 hours a week.)

I did talk to my manager at my part time job (I wasn't getting ANY hours) and she said she would keep me in mind if she had any extra hours to give. I picked up a couple of shifts over the past few weeks, so I am looking forward to having hopefully a nice little paycheck next Friday. On the down side I've had to cancel fun plans in order to pick up some of the shifts, but as I told DH it's better that I'm making money then going out and possibly spending it.

We got our taxes done, and I was really excited to see a nice return this year instead of having to pay like last year. (Thank God for that!) We used the money to pay my in-laws' some of the money we owe them, to pay off a very large overdue credit card balance, and another overdue medical charge from when I was pregnant with my now 2 year old. The rest is going to DH's traffic ticket and car registration which are both due at the beginning of May. It stinks that we didn't get to really see any of the tax money, but at least we were able to get some things paid off.

I've been frequenting the food bank each Friday, and using that plus the meat, eggs and bread I have stockpiled to get us by. I do get a small amount of fruit and veggies from the food bank, but it's not enough for the whole week. I supplement by going to the ethnic market and spending $8-$10 for the rest of the fruits and veggies we need. I am actually on a nutrition plan, so I eat A LOT of fresh veggies and fruits each day, and so do the kids. Thankfully we can get them for an okay price.

Unfortunately our situation isn't one that will just go away when the next paycheck comes. I think we will be struggling for a little while longer, but I'm starting to feel more in control. Thank you to everyone for your support and tips and for keeping me accountable. I really appreciate it. :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Good for you - making choices to support healthy finances!!

#7 ·
Great way to spend the tax return. I am sure it is helping you sleep better at night. Keep up the great work! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.