Frugal Village Forums banner

unexpected debt - $43 for 11 days - can we do it?

5K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  craftypam 
#1 ·
Wow, we had an unexpected bill. The good news is, we had the money to pay it. The bad news is, it hit in between pay days. We have $43 that needs to last 11 days. Here is the plan....

Both my husband and myself ride motorcycles - we will drive them back and forth to work....so gas should be cheap. Praying for no rain.

We have enough food....so no money there...

Rent and utilities....all taken care of....

So, in theory, we should only need about $25 for gas for motorcycles.

For entertainment - we have cable, access to a swimming pool, library and the YMCA.

Any ideas how to make the next 11 days go by quicker or more easily?

#2 ·
Unless another unexpected bill comes up sounds like you're good to go. Swimming pool, cable and all the books and dvd's you want ....what more can you ask for. That would be a dream for us.

#4 ·
Seems like you're all set to me.

#5 ·
I'm thinking make it a project to clean out all the kitchen cabinets - you're going to be 'shopping at home' anyhow'!

I little exercise I do when I've got the 'I'm so deprived' blues, is to go through the entire house and look at everything I have. It's a LOT! (Good garage sale motivation, too)

#8 ·
Love it....I just might have to do this at least on the weekends...

#11 ·
You bet you can do this - because you were prepared!!

How about pretending that you're on vacation for this time period and what you have is what you have!! it's always a question of attitude and you have a great one!!

Reactions: mamamia
#13 ·
Sounds like you're in good shape to get thru this challenge. Personally, I often go 11 days or longer without spending anything. I usually grocery shop twice a month and have gone a month without buying more than milk. Gas for work would be okay for that time frame if I started with a full tank. Otherwise, the $43 would end up in the gas tank!

#14 ·
Here is a quick update.....yesterday was a no spend day....We went to the Library and rented movies and books....We found several that we wanted to see. Today, we will probably watch a movie and go swimming.

I have to admit, I had a weak moment last night. It was really hot all day. I wanted a sonic slushie sooooo bad. I didnt get one, but it was tempting. We ran out of ice....of all things to be out of.....So, today....I will make my own slushie.....for free....

1 day down
10 to go

#17 ·
We spent 21.03 for gas. We filled both bikes. So we are ready for the week. We have eaten in, watched movies from library and taken a nap today.

#19 ·
It's a challenge I'm sure you are up to.

Some people don't realize this but bills such as medical bills can be split into installments so you don't have to caught up the entire amount. I don't even call. Most places won't charge you interest until 90 days after the first bill.

This might be a call to action:
1. Bring in more money.
2. Spend less.
3. Get an emergency fund together.
4. Explore credit cards.

#20 ·
We do have other options for money. However, why use a credit card and go in debt and/or pay interest if we dont have to. We have our change jar and savings. My thought was, why use these if we can make it for 11 days with out. I guess I should have written that first. Yes, it is still going to be a challenge for us. I'm sorry if this came across wrong.....I just think we should be able to pay our bills with our assinged money.

Today is a work day. Hubby and I took breakfast and lunch to work. I will be spending money today for bread. I will post our remainder/total once I have bought this.

day 1 - no spend
day 2 - gas for motorcycles $21.03
day 3 - bread

#22 ·
Try to figure out what is essential to use the remaining money for until your next paycheck. When possible try an alternative instead of spending money.

I have these days also. The best way I handle them is knowing I have all the bills paid and that I do not need anything immediately. Once I know any essentials are covered until the next check comes in I try to go about my daily routine without thinking to much about the fact that I do not have any extra money to spend.

Right now I am trying to keep myself from spending and only pay for the essentials. This month I want to stay on budget to set some money aside.

#23 ·
Well yesterday I did buy bread and a small bag of flour. However, I kind of cheated......I found change in my purse, which was enough to pay for bread and flour. So, we still have $21.97. Today so far, no spending is planned. The weather is cooperatinng, so we have rode motorcycles two days to work. The forecast is still looking really good also. Last night was left overs and tonight will be too. We watched another of our library movies. It was very good. We packed breakfast and lunch for work also.

day 1 - no spend
day 3 - bread - change found in purse
day 4 - no spend

#26 ·
Well so far so good. We have 6 1/2 days left.....woohoo....half way there and we still have a little more that half of our money. I do know either today or tomorrow morning my hubby will need to get gas. My commute isnt as far as his. So, I should be ok till Monday morning. Keeping our fingers crossed....

day 1 - no spend
day 3 - bread - change found in purse
day 4 - no spend
day 5 - no spend

#27 ·
Well, didnt quite make it thru yesterday......Hubby needed gas for his ride home from work. He filled up and spent 14.47. Which leaves us with 7.50. We are have 5 days left. It will be close, but I think we will make it. The food is holding out and I'm ok on gas so far. The really determining factor I think will be if hubby gets called out for work this weekend. Keep fingers crossed for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.