Frugal Village Forums banner

okay dh has finally decided he will try and fill out for disability..

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  mh3rdwheel 
#1 ·
Today he turned his neck and dropped to the floor in pain....he got up and said oh no my neck has gone out again...he had been doing okay because he hadn't been doing anything strenuous etc for a while...okay i mean pain that is controlled to be able to deal with by ibuprofen and tylenol.....so today he is sitting in the recliner almost in tears not knowing what to do...if he stands and walks the pain is to bearable..if he sits it is unbearable etc....so he told me to call the doc and get him in...he won't be seen until the 17th of july...he says if it gets worse or he can't take it anymore he will go to the er...he only has done this one other time in all the years of dealing with this....so my question is how does one apply for disability? I would like to get the process started as it would help substantially...i am the only that is working and my hours have been cut for the summer to 25 hours a week...no income for five weeks this summer 6 weeks of 25 hours...extended school year...so we are struggling but my inheritance is to come in within the next few weeks so we will be okay for a while....

Thanks

#3 ·
Call your local social security office to get the paperwork to get the disability started. You'll need to give them MD's names/phone numbers/addresses.

You'll need to state how long the problem has been ongoing - he'll have to have been unable to work for 6 months, and have to have met the current quarterly requirements for work history (they keep changing that, so I'm not sure what it is now.)

When you fill out the paperwork, be sure to state what he USED to be able to do, and what he CURRENTLY does - it's no good to say "he can't walk a mile" For all they know, he never could walk a mile! You need to state things like "he used to walk 5 miles a day at his previous job, but now he's unable to walk around the block without experiencing severe pain" "he used to bowl on a league, 2 nights a week- but now he's unable to lift his bowling ball" That sort of thing.

#4 ·
and don't be surprised if they reject the application, over and over again. Keep trying until you've exhausted all the appeals.

#5 ·
How many ibuprofen is he taking? He can take 4 of them safely and it will greatly help the inflammation.

As for the disability, make it clear as you can how very disabled he is, do not just put basic details, DETAIL it thoroughly and even pad it up a bit because Social Security is difficult these days.. and you need to include doctor reports saying he cannot work.

My husband is deaf and recently developed all kinds of health problems and he filed for disability.. it's a process to go through, grit your teeth and do everything they ask and more, it will eventually pay off.

Good luck, keep us posted!:tay:

Reactions: mh3rdwheel
#6 ·
he worked at the same place of employment for 14 years..

worked his butt off while other people did not....and i believe this to be part of his issues....he has ocd so it had to be done and if that meant he had to do it then he did....when he got done we got a note from his doctor stating he could no longer fill the requirements of the job he was doing....he has what they call myofascial pain syndrome i call it degenerative arthritis... and the two are different...he also has a disco that obstructs something in his back and when he sits just right it pushes up against his spinal column making his arms and legs tingle and sometimes go numb.....i plan on going with him to the visit to make sure all areas are addressed...and i am sure he will be denied over and over again...but for a man who up until this time would not file for disability because he wanted to be able to ride a snowsled or a fourwheeler and had good days...he has now come to the point that he is not able to do any of that...I feel bad for him...

#7 ·
Dh's doctor told him he needed to apply for disability. Dh didn't want to accept that and did classes for computer and applied for various jobs to no avail. When he finally applied we made an appointment and went to the local SS office where a worker filled out the application with dh and me answering questions. Dh signed the application and medical releases for his doctor.

After the application was submitted we got a letter telling us the name of the person in Des Moines working his application. Dh waited a couple weeks then called the worker to inquire if they had everything needed and she told him they were waiting on doctors reports. Dh thanked her and let her know he appreciated her help. He then called the doctor's office and asked them to please complete and send their report. Two weeks later he called SS again and asked for a status report and again thanked her for her assistance. He was approved first time around due in part to his age 59 at the time. Also, I think his having already tried the computer class which showed he could not do sit down work any better than standing.

My sister works for Social Security Disability and she says that what the doctor says and how he says it are primary to being approved or rejected. Right now with so many people out of work applications for disability have skyrocked so everything is taking longer. She is now working sometimes 7 days a week.

If your dh applies he needs to make every effort to be pleasant and not snarky with SS workers. They get so much snarky that they appreciate and remember pleasant clients. He should also check in with his worker every month to ask if they have all the paperwork they need.

I know the common opinion is no one is approved first time around. Dh was and I have had numerous clients that were. The ones that weren't were probably borderline as far as disabled or not and a few were obviously fakes.

I hope your dh either gets medical healing or approved quickly.

#14 ·
I know the common opinion is no one is approved first time around. Dh was and I have had numerous clients that were. The ones that weren't were probably borderline as far as disabled or not and a few were obviously fakes.
But it does happen to some people, my point was only that she not get discouraged. My mom was dying of 2 cancers and she was turned down twice, only to be approved the day she died. Got the notice in the mail 2 weeks later that she was approved.

#8 ·
When I applied I was denied. I applied again was denied again. I finally ot a lawyer. Come to find out SS did not get all my medical records. They had maybe a quarter inch. My medical record are about 10 inches thick. They had none of the hospitalizations. Me coding Nothing. Their reasons for denial were very lame. I could talk or I could walk. It took me 3 years to get it. Good luck to your DH. Just don't give up.
Fern

#9 ·
my dad was a dentist he lost his sight in the center of the eye He did not qualify even though he could not practice any longer. WHY because they said he could do some sort of work.. like McDonalds.

Ended up he did not fight it as they found cancer soon after that.

#13 ·
we will try the pineapple...

thanks so much!

#11 ·
You do not have to go to the nearest Social Security Office to file for disability. I did it online the last time. What you first need to do is get a list of doctors your dh sees and what kind of medication if any he takes and how much, and who prescibed them. How often you were seen, what dates, etc.

Then to apply for SSI or SSDI go to the website url=http://www.ssa.gov

The United States Social Security Administration
On the website on the left hand side you will see a list titled Top Services the 3rd one down says Apply for Disability Benefits click on it. It takes you to another screen read through the stuff on left hand side then on the right hand side click on Apply Online of disability Benefits then follow what it says, it will take you through everything.

Always make sure you make copies of everything you send them. If after filing keep track of doctor visits, etc. You will need this later on. Good Luck.

My husband just got his SSDI after 6 1/2 years of filing. Need any help let us know, it is very long and frustrating wait.

#12 ·
Also with my husband because of breaking his kneck 3 times on the throat side he also has the tingling in his arms, fingers, and legs. If you need insurance you get your doctor to write up that your dh is disabled and why ( a list of reasons should be on the paper) when it started and when he became unable to work. My dh's doctor put that on a prescription pad and gave it to us, we made an appointment with DHHS to along with proof of income, SS cards, birth certificates, etc. You might need a spend down. Good luck.

#16 ·
My husband was told the same thing, the first time we went before the judge he came up from Morgantown, WV he was an a**hole, the next time we went before the judge we went to Morgantown, they were really friendly, while my husband was talking to his attorney before the hearing the judge's secretary came out and wanted to talk to the attorney and offered my husband full disability if he went back to June 2008 we took it.

We are gratefull. It was a long hard drawnout fight, but we won.

#17 ·
My sister sometimes gets very distressed with the process especially when someone dies while waiting approval or someone she feels should be approved isn't.

Of course, we all know people who receive benefits that shouldn't -- total fakes. I had a lady in my office last year who was trying to get disability for a bad back and it certainly appeared to me that she was faking. My dh has a bad back and so do a lot of my clients and in my opinion she didn't...she kept forgetting to hurt and then went back into her act.

The not having all the medical information is a common reason for being turned down. It happened with my f-i-l where SS thought his disability was low blood sugar which was an early diagnosis but the real problem was blockage in the arteries to the brain back before there was a surgery to correct it. Once they got the right medical diagnosis he was approved.

#19 ·
Start at SSA.gov. Spend a couple of hours filling out on line form.
If you have below $2k in accounts (IRA/401K included), you get SSI ($700 a month) after a couple of months.
You can file for food stamps and medicaid now.
SSDI determinations take 3-5 months. You will be denied the first time you try. File again.
You qualify for medicare after 2 years on SSDI.
You can get student loans forgiven if you get on SSDI.
Families get bigger SSDI checks. Make sure you mention any kids.

#21 ·
Every year I get a statement as does my husband from SS, it shows how many work credits you have, what you need to retire, and if you have enugh credits for medicare.

My husband's said he had enough for Medicare, he was just approved for SSDI, and guess what, we have not received a payment but already in todays mail was my DHs Medicare card, I was astounded because I was told that he would have to wait 2 years. I checked it out and yes he is able to use it now with his Medicaid card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.